Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Bournemouth bid 8 million for Grabban

£8m? Let him go. Behind DM and CJ anyway and it''s an area we are likely to strengthen further in this window. If they have actually offered that much then it''s crazy money for a player who has shown precious little for us thus far. Granted Bournemouth are direct rivals but he has done nothing to suggest that he would be an asset for them anyway.

[quote user="STAN"]LDC, how many times have you actually seen grabban play in person?[/quote]Not that it makes any difference, in the eight games I went to last season, he appeared in most of them either in the starting line-up or as sub. 

8 mil would eradicate the 8 mil we dished out on RVW. That''s the way I see it. Spend a fortune on a damp squib, cash in a fortune on a damp squib.

Though I fail to believe it''s true. Like the OP said - as a club we cant be that stupid.

8 millions an awesome amount of cash for grabban

But here''s the thing

What''s the rush?

It''s January 7th

Bournemouth are clearly interested

Let em dangle!

Crazy decision to turn down what is stupid money for an average Championship striker , serves us right if they take their money and outbid us on a striker we may be interested in , Big opportunity missed to get a heap of cash and weaken a rival .

[quote user="Rustic"]£8m? Let him go. Behind DM and CJ anyway and it''s an area we are likely to strengthen further in this window. If they have actually offered that much then it''s crazy money for a player who has shown precious little for us thus far. Granted Bournemouth are direct rivals but he has done nothing to suggest that he would be an asset for them anyway.[/quote]

Is it really that crazy a price?

Rudy Gestede - £6-7million depending upon your source. There is only about a year between them but Grabban has almost twice as many career appearances (both out wide and as a striker).

I think player values have moved on a bit even in the season since we were relegated. But the reality is that £8million is around about the going rate for a goal-scoring striker from the Championship. Plus he can play wide if needed.

£8million is ''fair''. As for writing off the RVW signing, more like it would mean Naismith''s fee would be cancelled out.

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="lake district canary"]When on form, Grabban was first choice under AdamsWhen on form, Grabban was first choice under AN.On form he is a handful for any opposition.And if he is so poor, why would Bournemouth want him back?And his goal against Arsenal was not a "tap in".[/quote]
When first choice for Adams, Grabban was so poor with his 2 in 22 special run, he was a large part of the reason we were doing badly enough for Adams to "resign".
Yep, and how long did that last? His ridiculous red cost him his place and he''s never won it back for more than 2 or 3 games. What does that tell you?
I disagree with that. Name one game where you walked away (or turned off the laptop) where you thought "Wow, Grabban was excellent, really changed the course of that game" or similar? He''s good at running around not doing much, but I don''t think that constitutes being a handful.
Bournemouth obviously think they can return him to the form he showed when he was there in the Champs. Plus the fact that they are struggling to attract anyone of any note I would imagine. Iturbe is a name but that is mainly based on flashes of potential a good few years ago, not because he is a good player. 
If Grabban is such a good striker then why is it only Bournemouth and a handful of Championship teams after him? Surely if he is so great then we would be beating offers away from all quarters. If he is not "poor", if he is even mediocre at Prem standard, surely someone like Sunderland would be interested?  So why such a dearth of interest in a player that is obviously available? 
Once he turned the defender, which was relatively simple given the fact he was between defender and ball and the ball was on a plate for him from Brady, he was essentially unmarked 8 yards out. If a striker misses a chance like that he shouldn''t be anywhere near a football league squad. It was hardly a wonderstrike was it?
[/quote]Great reply KIO.LDC does make good points in posts but sometimes the straw clutching is painful to see. It''s all very well picking on very isolated incidents - remember all the RVW drum banging " got in a great header against... ", " turned his man in the 1st half at...", etc, etc - to try to justify his view but looking at Grabban''s overall contribution and it''s plain to see he comes up short.Grabban reminds me of Robert Earnshaw. A good Championship player but lacking at a higher level. Bournemouth must see something in him of course,  and maybe it''s the '' return of the prodigal son '' and all that, but I think they''ll be seriously overpaying if they part with £8m. If Mr McNally & Co can tickle any more out of this deal they seriously ought to consider joining the magicians Magic Circle.

I genuinely see this as no more than a silly attempt to unsettle our squad harmony leading up to a match against them. They did this prior to our first fixture too.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="kick it off"][quote user="lake district canary"]When on form, Grabban was first choice under AdamsWhen on form, Grabban was first choice under AN.On form he is a handful for any opposition.And if he is so poor, why would Bournemouth want him back?And his goal against Arsenal was not a "tap in".[/quote]
When first choice for Adams, Grabban was so poor with his 2 in 22 special run, he was a large part of the reason we were doing badly enough for Adams to "resign".
Yep, and how long did that last? His ridiculous red cost him his place and he''s never won it back for more than 2 or 3 games. What does that tell you?
I disagree with that. Name one game where you walked away (or turned off the laptop) where you thought "Wow, Grabban was excellent, really changed the course of that game" or similar? He''s good at running around not doing much, but I don''t think that constitutes being a handful.
Bournemouth obviously think they can return him to the form he showed when he was there in the Champs. Plus the fact that they are struggling to attract anyone of any note I would imagine. Iturbe is a name but that is mainly based on flashes of potential a good few years ago, not because he is a good player. 
If Grabban is such a good striker then why is it only Bournemouth and a handful of Championship teams after him? Surely if he is so great then we would be beating offers away from all quarters. If he is not "poor", if he is even mediocre at Prem standard, surely someone like Sunderland would be interested?  So why such a dearth of interest in a player that is obviously available? 
Once he turned the defender, which was relatively simple given the fact he was between defender and ball and the ball was on a plate for him from Brady, he was essentially unmarked 8 yards out. If a striker misses a chance like that he shouldn''t be anywhere near a football league squad. It was hardly a wonderstrike was it?
[/quote]Great reply KIO.LDC does make good points in posts but sometimes the straw clutching is painful to see. It''s all very well picking on very isolated incidents - remember all the RVW drum banging " got in a great header against... ", " turned his man in the 1st half at...", etc, etc - to try to justify his view but looking at Grabban''s overall contribution and it''s plain to see he comes up short.Grabban reminds me of Robert Earnshaw. A good Championship player but lacking at a higher level. Bournemouth must see something in him of course,  and maybe it''s the '' return of the prodigal son '' and all that, but I think they''ll be seriously overpaying if they part with £8m. If Mr McNally & Co can tickle any more out of this deal they seriously ought to consider joining the magicians Magic Circle.

[/quote]

Strange comment, were you aware (this info is about 4 seasons old) that minutes to goals in the Premier League is headed by Henry, Yakubu then Earnshaw, this is based on players who have played a certain amount of games. Earnshaw was a clinical finisher who should have had longer in the Premier League. Grabban is a tireless worker who has the potential to be a top player and has been a very good player for us, but I agree, we should sell for 8m.

I wouldn''t entertain selling until we''ve played them in 9 days time. He would know a lot about our team, and be well up for a performance against us.

This all makes me laugh

Our players that plenty on here reckon are tosh clubs are coming in with huge bids. The people I hear on here are superstars - Lafferty R Bennett the Murphy''s ect other clubs are not the slightest bit interested in.

Y''all seem v excited about this transfer mullarky, What will be will be, grabban is no more than a squad player for us right now. I v much doubt we''ll sell to b mouth before we play them, Chillburgers all round.

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]Y''all seem v excited about this transfer mullarky, What will be will be, grabban is no more than a squad player for us right now. I v much doubt we''ll sell to b mouth before we play them, Chillburgers all round.[/quote][:D]

[quote user="whoareyou"]We would be stupid to sell him without having a suitable/better replacement signed up first.[/quote]Whilst I don''t deny your logic, how much has he contributed to the season so far?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="whoareyou"]We would be stupid to sell him without having a suitable/better replacement signed up first.[/quote]Whilst I don''t deny your logic, how much has he contributed to the season so far?[/quote]Not a huge amount, but more than Hooper and Lafferty combined. I''m not a big fan of Grabban''s, but if Mbokani or Jerome were to get injured he''d be right in amongst it. If you sell first, the prices will only go up when other clubs sense the need/desperation to buy. We need to keep hold of him until we have his replacement IMO, and if we don''t get the right player at the right price then keep him here as third choice.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="morty"][quote user="whoareyou"]We would be stupid to sell him without having a suitable/better replacement signed up first.[/quote]Whilst I don''t deny your logic, how much has he contributed to the season so far?[/quote]Not a huge amount, but more than Hooper and Lafferty combined. I''m not a big fan of Grabban''s, but if Mbokani or Jerome were to get injured he''d be right in amongst it. If you sell first, the prices will only go up when other clubs sense the need/desperation to buy. We need to keep hold of him until we have his replacement IMO, and if we don''t get the right player at the right price then keep him here as third choice.[/quote]I take your point.

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]8 MILLION ? I don''t believe it, how come it''s only hitc.com reporting it ?[/quote]Indeed, i to dont believe it. Just a rumoured report from 1 outlet who mention 7 million with 1 million add ons. Could of just re hashed it from last summer when the bid was also 7 mill on the final day . As usual most fans (me to) put to much into to many rumours. The only fact is that right now City have signed Jarvis on a permanent and young Diallang J. Outgoing E. Benno to Blackburn and Kean to Colchester on loan.Nothing else has occured until its official.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="whoareyou"]We would be stupid to sell him without having a suitable/better replacement signed up first.[/quote]Whilst I don''t deny your logic, how much has he contributed to the season so far?[/quote]Not a lot but were either Mbokani or Jerome to get any injury, we would be in serious shite if we had sold Grabban but had no replacement. £8 million in the bank won''t win us any points between now and May.I would have thought Afobe would be the one to aim for.

As ive already said, that report of 8 million is just from 1 outlet and  likely a load of bull. Grabbs has been a part of Alexs plans all the way thru, and if anything id be surprised to see him go anywhere before either Hooper or Lafferty depart, and they are still here. Alex said firmly at start of season he would not sell players to a rival, and i have not seen any evidence  that hes changed in that respect. Just look at Bournemouth, 2 points seperate us and 1  position, thats definitely a rival.  As to Grabbs and 8 million. Pfft.This is just my thinking,  but he must be worth maybe couple million, and he was to move anywhere, the top 6 in the Chumps would seem more realistic. Thinking that PL  nabbed E. Benno from us, its more likely that CH could try to raid City also, Brighton have faltered a bit recently but still up there. Theres even topics on the Brighton forums about Grabban, but like everything else its fantasy until it becomes fact.

If there is some truth in this interest (although this morning bournemouth are linked to both Ruddy and Afobe) the likely departure of Mbokani to the African Cup of Nations in a couple of weeks could be shaping the clubs thoughts - either to get a better replacement in first or for the role grabban might need to place over those 4-6 weeks - both of which could increase the clubs valuation of him

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]If there is some truth in this interest (although this morning bournemouth are linked to both Ruddy and Afobe) the likely departure of Mbokani to the African Cup of Nations in a couple of weeks could be shaping the clubs thoughts - either to get a better replacement in first or for the role grabban might need to place over those 4-6 weeks - both of which could increase the clubs valuation of him[/quote]I believe this is The African nations championship, only for players who actually play in Africa, and shouldn''t affect us.