Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Wot no CB?

I am amazed that we didn''t have a CB primed and ready for this window. It was the obvious weakness last time round, it is where we are an injury away from disaster. It is where all cover is playing a RB out of position. Yet nothing and now well into January and no real rumours of substance....

I''m not convinced the club are after a center back with the recent acquisition of another right back. Fans opinion aside, we now have cover in the center back positions being Martin and Wisdom. I''m not saying either of these two are good enough but it''s my opinion not Alex Neil''s.

I disagree. I think that we''ll bring in at least one new CB and there is plenty of time to do so.

We may well have tried to ''prime'' our targets but clubs won''t let decent players leave unless they have replacements lined up ... and the replacements need replacements ...............

Let''s draw conclusions when January ends.

[quote user="Herman "]I am amazed at how clueless some football fans are when it comes to transfers. [/quote]

Hehe, you''d be amazed how clueless many fans are, even regarding their own team. One of my favourite topics. Surely deserves a thread of its own, so I can take the mickey out of the usual suspects, again...

I''m sure we''re actively pursuing a genuine CB, and that we''ll get one in this window.

[quote user="grefstad"][quote user="Herman "]I am amazed at how clueless some football fans are when it comes to transfers. [/quote]

Hehe, you''d be amazed how clueless many fans are, even regarding their own team. One of my favourite topics. Surely deserves a thread of its own, so I can take the mickey out of the usual suspects, again...[/quote][:D]The trouble with your plan is that you give grief to the guys that DO know stuff.

[quote user="grefstad"][quote user="Herman "]I am amazed at how clueless some football fans are when it comes to transfers. [/quote]

Hehe, you''d be amazed how clueless many fans are, even regarding their own team. One of my favourite topics. Surely deserves a thread of its own, so I can take the mickey out of the usual suspects, again...[/quote]

Oh, the irony.

Like the OP I too am outraged that there "are no rumours of substance".

What the hell are the board playing at by not being able to come up with "rumours of substance" ?

It''s been obvious all season long that we''ve lacked a "rumour of substance" and yet we haven''t got one primed and ready to go for the January transfer window.

Tinpot!

I think we need some sort of PowerPoint presentation got some fans on how transfers work

There''s such genuine confusion, like they think it''s like buying a second hand car.

At this time of year I think about it, all the politics, the many different parties that have to be satisfied and at the end of it I always come to the same conclusion.

I am amazed! Absolutely amazed that ANY business gets done that doesn''t involve massive amounts of cash.

It must be absolutely infuriating. I have genuine sympathy with McNally and the team at Norwich, trying to get business done. I don''t prescribe to conspiracy theories or penny pinching or some sort of brothers Grimm fairytale with delia holding a poison apple like some of the more tinfoil hatted anongst you do and if you read between the lines all I can see is a plate spinning act in a minefield.

Can anyone else see it like me?

Being a club with finite resources (I.e not bankrolled) trying to get business done. It''s like trying to solve a rubix cube on a horse. Surely?

Someone on Twitter the other day said it absolutely bang on. Transfer windows now are essentially just registration periods. Clubs like Norwich, who can''t pull up in a Lamborghini with a attaché case full of blood diamonds, have to just go to clubs, register interest and wait. There''s nothing else we can do.

That''s exactly what''s happening with Naismith. Right now!

We''ve registered interest, we''ve got some money ready and Everton are just like "okay, cheers for the email, see you on deadline day. Maybe."

There''s literally no other tool we can use. There''s no amount of wheeler dealing McNally can do that can ease that transfer at all. So there''s literally no point in heckling him. The only other thing he could do is tap people up, which is against the rules I gather?

My question to those that have sent a incoherent rambling email to David McNally at half past nine on transfer deadline day that ends up putting in a folder at his end named "transfer day maniacs" is what else do ou want him to do?

Hah, yes, indeed

Quality of sauces needs to improve significantly

Can we get some hoisin or wasabi or something?

I think a CB is still on the Jan shopping list...

I noticed something slightly interesting related to this - In the statements made by Lorient about their compliant about Sunderland pulling out of the Kone deal they say that they (Lorient) had rejected offers from other Premier League clubs (surely including us?), but now those clubs had moved on to other targets...

So if that did include us then does this mean 1) we have a different CB in our sights? 2) could we go back in for Kone as they seem keen to sell him?

There have been reports of interest in several overseas CBs, and one at least has turned us down, possibly more. In one or two cases we had reached agreement on fees with the present club.

Clearly hopes have been dashed in these, and new targets have been considered, presumably.

One thing is clear, that although we have players who could play at CB "at a push", Martin and Wisdome and even Pinto perhaps. The fact remains that we have only three CBs on our books, and one of those is on loan to Sheffield and not currently playing often.

So I am concerned, and I shall be relieved only when we sign another acceptable CB, or even two. If either Bennett or Bassong were injured or suspended......

In those fun pre season prediction topics i had a  guess, mine was that City would finish 18th with 33 points, a guess that i will not change halfway thru the season. I based my personal guess mainly due to our lack of CB cover and the general quality of the existing CBs. Recently someone posted a first 10 games and 2nd 10 games statistic, showing in those 1st games when we were attacking with gay abandon we shipped in 21 goals, but after the Newcastle game, and with Ryan Bennett coming into the squad, and Alexs change in thinking, we conceded just 11 in 10 games, many of those games against the so called top 6.Im one of the first to say yes we need more CB cover, and yes, 6 points above the drop places is way to small a margin to even remotely feeling safe. But having said all that, the fact is, after 20 games, we are not in the bottom 3, so our defence, including the CB department, HAVE been good enough. So, we wait and see. We all know  its urgent we have a CB to join the ranks, but let City do it when they can. If a CB does not join, then yes, the last 18 games are going to be fraught with anguish, but even then, City could still just make it over the line, despite me sticking with 33 points.

If either Bennett or Bassong were injured or suspended......

indeed salopian; i have no doubt we will be pushing very hard to strengthen this over the next 3 weeks

I am sure we are chasing various cb''s however it is not going to be easy to get a quality signature. The conversation of we are doing well at the moment at the back and you will be warming our bench until somebody loses form or gets injured cannot be easy. Unless you are thinking AN would bring somebody in and immediately drop Bassong or Bennett. We are more likely to get a quality cb if one of our current two gets injured or suspended so anyone new can come straight in.

We are likely looking at CB''s in the 5-8 mill bracket.

That would normally be a regular defender in i midtable side in France or Italy, maybe Germany.

I''d like 2 CB''s this window, if we can find the 10-12 mill needed

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]The planned spend on a CB is £9.13452Mill.

[/quote]

Does that include his wages? If not what''s the planned spend on his wages? And is there anywhere we can feed this information that will produce who is available at that planned spend?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Does that include his wages? If not what''s the planned spend on his wages? And is there anywhere we can feed this information that will produce who is available at that planned spend?

[/quote]

You can''t find this information anywhere because it doesn''t exist, I''m just making stuff up like the others are but to answer you questions in order would be polite so here goes.1. Yes, but not any bonuses to nutmegging defenders.2. See 1 but could increase if the number of nutmegs is high (not expected) also there''s a no nutmeg relegation clause.3. No because you cannot read my mind.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You can''t find this information anywhere because it doesn''t exist, I''m just making stuff up like the others are but to answer you questions in order would be polite so here goes.1. Yes, but not any bonuses to nutmegging defenders.2. See 1 but could increase if the number of nutmegs is high (not expected) also there''s a no nutmeg relegation clause.3. No because you cannot read my mind.

[/quote]

Well that is disappointing[:(]

Are they more valuable if they run around a lot before being nutmegged[:^)]