Sign in to follow this  
TwoSheds

Once again a local player looks like being snapped up!

Is there something the matter with our scouts? Do they not dare travel out of Norfolk or something. Over the years City have missed out on signing many young local lads from teams like Southend,Colchester,Cambridge ect. Lua Lua was a big miss & if you want to look back in history you will see a whole host of players who made it into the big time from the lower leagues of East Anglia. Yes i know we got Abbey & Mckenzie,but 2 or 3 players over the years doesnt amount to much. Now Spurs are after young Greg Halford from Colchester ( a very promising young defender indeed who can play anywhere across the back four & also an emergency frontman).£500,000 may be a bit of a gamble but i would imagine the 6''4 defender would/could be an asset to us in the future. Why let the big guns snap them up? Let City be a stop gap for some of these players & if they end up being as good as first thought then we have a cheap player in our squad hopefully good enough for the prem. Halford & others will get far more exposure from a club like City than Colchester & im sure that Spurs & the others would monitor him closely. If we dont make it back to the Prem in a season or two then let the big teams come in for him for a Million or two!

I look forward to your sensible replies.....

All others will be happily ignored!

Bit surprised about Halford myself, have never seen him but seems to be building a bit of a reputation. £500,000 is relatively cheap if he genuinely has talent. Even if he doesn''t quite make Prem standard you would expect to get £250-300,000 back for him as a reasonable championship/div 1 defender so there isn''t that much of a money gamble there.

Mark .Y.

Lua lua wasn''t a miss, we were interested but we didn''t have the £2.25M Colchester wanted and got from the Toon.

I agree.  Sometimes it''s almost as if we have to wait for other clubs to sign the players before we actually believe they are talented enough.  For that sort of money, i cant the gamble being to great!

well, it works: Maybe getting a cheaper player from a lower division (ala ashton mckenzie) is better than playing more for a over rated premiership star.

Well, it worked with Mckenzie, one minute he was playing for posh, the next he was scoring against man utd! Same for drury, from posh to the best left back in division one!
Abbey was just pretty much a disaster! but as you say we didnt have the 2.25m that newcastle wanted.

Although we have done well so far, three bosmans, so no extra money spent, so well done to nigel. As for your view of things, we dont know what is going on behind the scenes, prehaps our scouts are doing their job and watching local players, but prehaps they are just not good enough for the standard we need?

Although recently prehaps the scouts have been given a holiday in scandanavia (ala helveg jonson etc)

I have to say this an excellent point you are making twosheds.  We don''t have the advantage of having lots of clubs near us.  I always think it must be easier to attract players (especially those on loan) if you are from London or Lancashire with a wide catchment area.  You would think that we would look closely at the likes of Colchester to pick up players.  I have heard good things about Halford and am disappointed we''re not going for him