Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

Bournemouth confirm Afobe signing

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]Grabbans goals/minutes must be the top of our strikers.[/quote]
Mbokani - 191 mins/goal
Grabban - 250/goal
Redmond - 335/goal
Jerome - 356/goal
Jarvis - 358/goal
Russ Martin - 478/goal

I think more people are upset of not selling grabban for 8mil to Bournemouth

I very much doubt anyone else would pay that for him

I don''t think AN wants afobe now as that''s no big deal but we lost the chance to get rid of grabban

[quote user="mrs miggins"]As long as our board spend the type of money our club needs to stay up then I''ll be happy.

However, if we end the window with just Pinto, Naismith and a fairly cheap CB I shall be extremely disappointed. If we do that and go down the board can have no complaints, especially when the other teams around us are doing everything they can to push themselves up the league.[/quote]

I''d actually be OK with that haul. I mean if it helps scrap survival. Either way it would be underwhelming, but hey that seems to be what these transfer windows ever amount to, I can get expecting different but with all the evidence previous to it, it''s a bit of a silly expectation.

If we then went down with that haul, well it''s aggravating but also that ''expectation'' would be met more than expecting more...

Honestly if we bought Afobe I don''t think it would do any more for our chances than the underwhelming acquisitions Miggins mentioned would. I do think it would put us at more of an advantage in the Champ if we didn''t survive, though. That''s why yes, you are overpaying for Afobe at 10 mill, but it''s not that huge a gamble because if you don''t survive you are gonna be set in the Champ up front...

[quote user="Well b back"]Just looked at his goal scoring stats. This guy is worth £12m omg ?. He scored 13 goals last year way behind players that people tend to not rate on here ie Murphy Bamford Chris Martin ect and was easily outscored by our own Jerome Callum Wilson and quite an important one Gustede. He scored almost double the goals Afobe scored and is he really PL quality ?

Charlie Austin ( I am not the bigest fan ) has scored as many goals this year as Afobe in 1/2 the games and is a proven PL scorer. He is cheaper lol.[/quote] He''s also not over 25 genius.

[quote user="kick it off"]Gestede doesn''t suit Villa and Villa are atrocious. I''m not saying he''s a world beater, but put Gestede in the West Ham team where they hammer crosses and long balls in all day long and I''m sure he''d have a better Prem record by now. Austin has allegedly got dodgy knees.
Gestede is 5 years older and Austin is 4 years older than Afobe so I would say on balance, Afobe represents the best investment/value of the 3 based on the risk of Austin''s age/knees and Gestede''s age[/quote]

HOLY S--- THE STUPID!

(speaking only of that first Gestede part. Gestede is horrible no matter what team he''d be on in the PL, worse than people like Hooper and Jelavic which is saying a heck of a whole lot).

Buying Afobe for £10m would have been like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, considering that Wolves bought him for £2m only one year ago.This is a player who has only played for one club for one year (disregarding loans when he was an Arsenal player), and somewhere between £2m and £10m value has been replaced by risk. He would have been too much of a gamble given his relative lack

of experience and short track record in the division below.I''d rather we went for value when buying players and spend what we save on a few decent youngsters. Recent signing Jaiyesimi is the way to go, and there are surely others we could have a look at trying to get eg Onyedinma at Millwall.By going for value, we can perhaps improve our chances of acquiring players similar to Afobe before their price rockets.

Stats  can be interesting but never supply a the whys and wherefors behind them. For example, Afobe had his hot streak last season when he was in tandem with Bakary Sako who went to Palace. Also with a Dicko beside him. This season hes had neither of those guys to aid him. He has scored a few, but just shows for any player...scoring goals is mainly affected by your team mates, the team formation, and a host of other factors that change match  by match.To be honest, City are back in the Prem with a new manager. Alexs team tactics and formations this season are driven solely for the intention of  getting City over the line safely, and dont lend themselves to having a sole high scoring striker. Hes alluded to this recently when  mentioning how important its been for Tettey, Howson, Redmond etc to chip in to with goals.Maybe Muff will be able to supply Afobe with the chances to score often, who knows. But they spend the 12 mill and gamble on the guy because they can afford it. City could not. Its simple, but no big deal. Alex and City have to  move forward at a pace that suits us.  Muff can do what they like.

Agreed with all that. I think the aggravation at not being willing to take a gamble or show ambition is somewhat reasonable. However it''s basically 100% clear this club is never going to do that, they care about surviving they just aren''t going to risk money to do it. It''s annoying, but c''est la vie.

[quote user="Essjayess"]Maybe Muff will be able to supply Afobe with the chances to score often, who knows. But they spend the 12 mill and gamble on the guy because they can afford it. City could not. Its simple, but no big deal. Alex and City have to  move forward at a pace that suits us.  Muff can do what they like.[/quote]

This ^^^ Sums it up perfectly.

It''s a lot of money for ba player arsenal felt wouldn''t make it for them only a year ago, but you can''t deny feeling a little jealous at a rival bringing in a striker who has scored a hatful of goals this season.

I''ll certainly feel a lot more positive if we sort this some Naismith thing out and get it across the line!

from memory I think we paid c£5m for bassong & £3.2m for bennett - I cant recall Martins fee but we were in league one and I have a feeling it was less the 750k (what a bargain that has proven to be)

All have been sound investments worth the money but all in the cheap fee arena; esp if a fee of £7m is being touted for Lees etc.

we need better than we have and that will have to cost. but again it will be worth the investment.

Mbokani - 191 mins/goal

Grabban - 250/goal

Redmond - 335/goal

Jerome - 356/goal

Jarvis - 358/goal

Russ Martin - 478/goal

Great stats - until you realise that the best city player last season for this out of context start was Gary Hooper who was involved in a goal every 82 minutes (scoring every 122) - was he really our best striker? a long was from it.

At the end of the day if someone has a proven premiership goal scoring record with age on their side they''ll be going to a more established club.

Clubs like us and Bournemouth will all be taking risks on strikers with little or no premiership experience to fill the void of a free scoring premiership player.

Is Afobe worth 10 Million. No on knows.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]from memory I think we paid c£5m for bassong & £3.2m for bennett - I cant recall Martins fee but we were in league one and I have a feeling it was less the 750k (what a bargain that has proven to be)

All have been sound investments worth the money but all in the cheap fee arena; esp if a fee of £7m is being touted for Lees etc.[/quote]I think it''s worth pointing out that you''d need to add at least 70% to historic fees to account for transfer fee inflation, or take off 40% to get a pre-increase figure.At todays prices we would have paid about £8.5m for Bassong and £5.5m for Bennett. Martin was bought in early 2010, so multiply whatever his fee was by 2.9 to account for two rounds of increased PL money. Before the latest tv deal the £7m quoted for Lees would be about £4.1m, and Afobe''s £10m price tag reduces to £5.9m.These are ballpark figures based on PL television income, where X times the income leads to X times the transfer fee.

Bournemouth don''t mess about, they want him they go and get him.

Unlike ourselves

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Confirmed by various media to be 12M, a club record fee[/quote]

Nope. Most are saying 8-9 mill, champ.

As I said elsewhere, not too bothered by not going for Afobe as I''m just not that much of a fan. Wouldn''t have moaned if it happened, because ambition is nice and if there is anyone in the lower leagues to take a risk on it''s Afobe. If it doesn''t work for survival, it will work for the Championship

Of the names of strikers floated around, he was the most attractive. Can understand not breaking the bank and even 8-9 straight up is hefty for an unproven youth with a lot of questions. It''s only slight disappointing the club clearly won''t take a gamble in hoping it works out if the price is even slightly high.

Add ons rarely work out and 8-9 is an easier pill to swallow for that transfer than straight 12. Makes it slightly harder to understand not ponying it up, but hey we''ll see.

Personally still think Ross Mccormack would be a good signing for the right price. I know a lot on here don''t like him but he''s scored a hell of a lot of goals this calendar year and has mostly played as a CAM or LM for Fulham.

Still rather have mbokani. Regardless of the 190 minute stats he''s scored 2 in 5 starts and he''s got a great record throughout his career. Him and Naismith would be a far more competent and experienced strike force to keep us up.

10 million is a lot of money for afobe, he may well set the Prem alight and I''ll be eating by words but that''s a lot of money for someone with very little experience above championship. Got to bare in mind jerome smashed 20 or whatever last year as did Murphy!