Sign in to follow this  
YorkshirePudding

Positives and Negatives of today

Positives 
  • We can concentrate on the league with less risk of injuries, fatigue etc.
  • Vadis played pretty well again
  • Lafferty''s attitude when he came on was once again brilliant (could have been trying to audition for a move though
Negatives
  • Our general team play was poor and we made it easy for City. No pressing, letting them stroke passes and pick passes through our defence. At the other end their defence looked quite vulnerable and unsure at times but we didn''t punish them.  
  • Dorrans was woeful - he hasn''t been quite right at all this season. Redmond again quite disappointing when he came on, does look a bit short of pace or a sharpness

We actually played 3 CBs today but yeah it didn''t work as well as it previously did against man city, partly due to a lack of pressure in certain areas, i.e. when they entered our final third no-one still wanted to put a challenge in

[quote user="YorkshirePudding"]We actually played 3 CBs today but yeah it didn''t work as well as it previously did against man city, partly due to a lack of pressure in certain areas, i.e. when they entered our final third no-one still wanted to put a challenge in[/quote]

Cheers for the info, have been out all day and not able to follow it.  Makes it even worse we looked so vulnerable down the middle!

Seems our team have not played well for weeks, but  the league games at least Alex has gotten most things right to compensate for that and weve picked up valuable points.What can be said about today? It was a cup match so he could try a few different things, but they never worked out. But no matter, was only a cup tie, its the league that matters. But actually...i find that kind of sad. the FA Cup was once a magical thing to look forward to, but these days its just  mostly a side dressing to the main dish. At least it is the nearer you get to the Premiership where all clubs are forced into chasing the dollar.Seem like the FA Cup and its magic  does still exist, but  you need to get far away from the scourge of the Sky money. A team like Eastleigh still seem to have the magic playing a team like Bolton, and i so hope Jamie Cureton and his Dagenham mates had a super day at Goodison. Being a Premiership club of course means a lot, a positive, but the sheer stress, pressure of surviving, chasing the dollar to stay alive, has just killed the magic of the FA Cup tie. Sadly a big negative.Apologies that my post wasnt centred on Citys performance,  i just miss that buzz that was once ours as City fans on Cup tie days.

Before we get too misty-eyed, the lower teams "take it seriously" because it is their chance of a relatively-high-to-them pile of cash via a favourable draw, plus a shop window for lower league players looking for a good move up the career ladder.

It is arguably precisely the same underlying principles as the premier league teams and players who are diluting their approach to it because the Premier League provides all of that for far more money to the Premier clubs and players already.

Parma

[quote user="YorkshirePudding"]We actually played 3 CBs today but yeah it didn''t work as well as it previously did against man city, partly due to a lack of pressure in certain areas, i.e. when they entered our final third no-one still wanted to put a challenge in[/quote]

Maybe some of those who don''t appreciate the value for all his faults brings to the team might if they open their eyes now understand alittle.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"][quote user="YorkshirePudding"]We actually played 3 CBs today but yeah it didn''t work as well as it previously did against man city, partly due to a lack of pressure in certain areas, i.e. when they entered our final third no-one still wanted to put a challenge in[/quote]

Maybe some of those who don''t appreciate the value for all his faults brings to the team might if they open their eyes now understand alittle.[/quote]

Was talking about Tettey, managed to miss out his name somehow.

Vadis played well again.

Not sure what''s happened with Mulumbu, he looked off the pace at Spurs and again yesterday. Certainly not looking like the player I remember pre and early season. I guess he is taking a while to get full fitness back.

I love how many fans think we should of tried harder to beat Man City yesterday...

They are a completely different class to us - get real!

Yes Vanvink, Mulumbu was quite slow. Still better than Dorrans though.

Lewis DW - poor attitude.

It wasn''t so much not trying, but we could have done better with the personnel we have against a defence which didn''t seem totally comfortable. And a lot better in defense.

Your theory would mean there''s no point ever even fielding a side against the likes of man city.

If we weren''t going to take it seriously we shouldn''t have risked all 3 viable CBs in one game and our first choice striker. I could take an experiment if there seems to be some worth, but lets see Andreu and Laffs for a full 90 minutes then. What on earth was the point in giving the latter just 18 minutes? Why bring Redmond on and not Andreu? What was the point in trying a system which we probably won''t ever use again? Why stick with a patently not working system for an entire half when it was painfully obvious that our players couldn''t cope with it? Why play a second string midfield one man down against one of the strongest midfields in Europe?

But most of all why puncture the little confidence bubble from the last few home games and the win at Old T? Was that any sort of prep for Stoke? I know the personnel will differ but its still a humiliatingly abject defeat as a club.

The only positives for me were that Vadis looked good, in patches, and that Lafferty looked as if he could have made a difference and provided some much needed support to CJ had he come on much much earlier.

Saturday shows there''s a fine line between inexperience and stupidity.