Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Is Giant killing thing of the past

Used to be a regular thing we did it in 1959 ,Hereford United beat Newcastle when teams played a full strength team, I suppose if a non league team beats a league team that would be giant killing ,but nowadays if a championship or league one team beat a premiership team it is not a surprise as the team beaten usually has played a weaker team .Man city has such a strong squad they could afford to play the right mix of senior players and fringe team players to beat us . The Hereford game sticks out as one of the best examples what we''re the others ?

Colchester beating Leeds 3-2 in 1971 for me.

Oxford (L2) have just knocked out Prem Swansea but it doesn''t look to have caused too many ripples-think the BBC got more excited when Salford won their 1st round game.

Who could forget Sutton United beating Coventry back in ''89.... and then a classy Canaries side thrashing them 8-0 in the next round ;)

I think ''unexpected'' giant killing is certainly a thing of the past - if higher-up sides rest a number of their key players, as they are doing, it obviously levels the playing-field more. It is certainly much less of a surprise when PL sides lose to lower opposition nowadays, despite the gulf in ability/finances.

As a PL side we are, almost by definition, incapable of being a giant killer.

I listened to some of the phone ins this weekend and it seems that Lg1 and 2 sides are also taking to resting players too..

Ridiculously, there are league matches this midweek, and teams that are fighting relegation, promotion and play off pushes are prioritising, That pretty much rules in most teams at this stage of the season...

Probably shouldn''t mention it but I will anyway. Luton putting us out 3 years ago. They were non league at the time and will go down in history as one of the great ones. Only time a Premier league team beaten by a non league team.