Sign in to follow this  
ChelmsfordCanary

Bournemouth Away and stay

Hello all....

My mate and I are off to Bournemouth for the game on the16th Jan and staying overnight to sample some of the nightlife.

are there any other city supporters planning the same?

Me and my mate grabbed a twin room for 25each in the Wessex Hotel which includes breakfast.... (lots of cheapish places on Booking.com)

Be intrested to see if in a kebab house at 2am when singing norwich songs I will hear some support lol.

cheers all

ian

Five of us are staying two nights in the Bournemouth Central Premier Inn and someone is reviewing all the curry houses in the area. [:D]

That''s not Bournemouth, Number9 - that''s Swanage!

To the OP, not sure what age bracket you fall into but if you''re under 30 or so I''m sure you''ll find the bars and clubs in and around Bournemouth town centre very lively. Just for the record, The Kings Arms in Langton Matravers is a good old fashioned Dorset boozer that is a Canaries supporters pub - an easy bus ride from Bournemouth.

Bournemouth is one of the livliest towns you could ever go to.  It''s image of being a retirement haven has been changing for some years and is unrecogniseable compared to what it used to be like.  The centre of Bournemouth in particular is now as cosmopolitan and lively as any large town or city.   If you are going to Bournemouth the bandstand in the park is still there and the brass bands still play - if that floats your boat - but the rest of the town has progressed quite considerably - and is probably partly why Bn''mth FC attracted some wealthy finance.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Bournemouth is one of the livliest towns you could ever go to.  It''s image of being a retirement haven has been changing for some years and is unrecogniseable compared to what it used to be like.  The centre of Bournemouth in particular is now as cosmopolitan and lively as any large town or city.   If you are going to Bournemouth the bandstand in the park is still there and the brass bands still play - if that floats your boat - but the rest of the town has progressed quite considerably - and is probably partly why Bn''mth FC attracted some wealthy finance.

[/quote]Lakey can i just ask the obvious question about this post ?

Doubt it Tilly, Simon won the money and Ian is apparently Chelmsford.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="lake district canary"]Bournemouth is one of the livliest towns you could ever go to.  It''s image of being a retirement haven has been changing for some years and is unrecogniseable compared to what it used to be like.  The centre of Bournemouth in particular is now as cosmopolitan and lively as any large town or city.   If you are going to Bournemouth the bandstand in the park is still there and the brass bands still play - if that floats your boat - but the rest of the town has progressed quite considerably - and is probably partly why Bn''mth FC attracted some wealthy finance.

[/quote]Lakey can i just ask the obvious question about this post ?[/quote]Feel free........

Yes Ron, but the guy on pointless., Simon, said he was A Chelmsford canary, ie a member of the Chelmsford Canaries, not "The Chelmsford Canary."

I think that''s where they maybe some confusion 😄

OK Mr J, Happy New Year to you and all on the msg board!😁🎆

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Ok then, how have you this wealth of knowledge on all things Bournemouth living where you do ?[/quote]

Relatives, specifically parents  (now just my mother) have lived there since 1992, so a regular haul down to the south coast is part of what I do.  Typical round trip used to be -  Lake District - Manchester (in laws) - Norwich (match at CR) - Bn''mth (parents) - South Wales (relatives) - Manchester (in laws....again) - Lake District.  Sometimes the other way round.......this season so far, no trips to Norwich, but there''s still half a season.....Happy New Year. 

Happy New year to you Lakey and thanks for that but my limited experience of Bournemouth shows rather a mixture of slow decline in parts especially around Boscombe and the more affluent God''s waiting room neighbourhoods.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Five of us are staying two nights in the Bournemouth Central Premier Inn and someone is reviewing all the curry houses in the area. [:D][/quote]

Mint Leaf Indian Brasserie booked :)

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Happy New year to you Lakey and thanks for that but my limited experience of Bournemouth shows rather a mixture of slow decline in parts especially around Boscombe and the more affluent God''s waiting room neighbourhoods.[/quote]Yes, Boscombe is a bit run down (to say the least),especially along the main street, but the centre of Bn''mth has improved quite considerably in terms of lifestyle and appeal to all ages.  My parents lived on the other side of Boscombe (near Christchurch) and in the area they live - which was originally just bungalows housing older people, nearly all have been extended outwards and upwards with an influx of younger people moving down from around London, which has changed the area - and not necessarily for the better...............

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Happy New year to you Lakey and thanks for that but my limited experience of Bournemouth shows rather a mixture of slow decline in parts especially around Boscombe and the more affluent God''s waiting room neighbourhoods.[/quote]

You''ve basically got it spot on, Tilly.

To all Canaries travelling to the match - there is ONE pub close to the ground that is an away supporters drinking hole, the Sir Percy Florence Shelley (Google it), which is a Wetherspoons about walking distance 10 mins away from the Vitality stadium. Don''t even bother trying to get into most of the other boozers in the vicinity, they won''t let you in especially if you have your colours on. Nearly all pubs in Bournemouth town centre itself don''t have a problem with away supporters, and I would recommend most supporters aim for there if you have a little time to spare - it''s a simple 15 min journey via the M2 bus and they leave Bournemouth square to Boscombe (vice versa) every 5 to 10 mins on a Saturday.

Happy new transfer window opening day folks :)

I went to Bournemouth for a stag weekend in 2010, have to say I found it depressingly like most other English towns, the usual chain pubs in the High Street, could have been Watford. Found a decent nightclub away from the High Street, think it might have been in an area called the Triangle? Anyway, I''m a young at heart 52 year old, still go to gigs but I found it awful. Maybe it''s improved since though?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Happy New year to you Lakey and thanks for that but my limited experience of Bournemouth shows rather a mixture of slow decline in parts especially around Boscombe and the more affluent God''s waiting room neighbourhoods.[/quote]Slow decline ? God''s waiting room ?Best have a look round the estate agents if you get the chance Tilly.....[:D]