Sign in to follow this  
Rasputin was a C...

Great Britain - Football

Seems as though the English FA want to make this happen now we have won the bid. Last time this was discussed I believe it was the Scots that proved to be the problem. I think it would be great to have a British team in the Olympics for the first time for quite a long period of time, I''m sure Wiz can remember.
Another thing, do you expect there to be a Norwich player in the squad should it happen. "If" we go up this season and secure our place I expect Dean Ashton would have some involvment. What do you think lads and lasses?

I expect to see it in 2012, where we should be entering every competition.  On that note, wasn''t it great to put one over the French yesterday?!

[quote]I expect to see it in 2012, where we should be entering every competition. On that note, wasn''t it great to put one over the French yesterday?![/quote]

It certainly was Weston! Hey Bobby, what''s the French for au revoir???

I''d love to see a Great Britain team as well - It is the Scots that are against it though, but it does make you wonder whether that''s simply because they realise that none of their players would get in the squad, heh!

Ps, Rasputin, I chuckle every time I see your ID btw... I know your full name is Rasputin Was A Canary, but I love how it cuts off at the C to be follow by three dots... I wondered for ages what the rest of the word was, heh!

So what if the SFA don''t like the idea!? They can sit back and watch the Irish and Welsh players get more of a chance. The way football is in Britain, I wouldn''t be suprised if it was virtually an English team with a few token players from the other countries...

Deano will be the perfect age for the tournament if he is in the national side, so looking forward to when he does.

Re the French...it is their own fault really. Chirac played a bit-part in the final presentation combined with their own attitude to thinking they had already wrapped it up.

I''m sorry peeps, but I hate the idea of a GB footy team!.

Who would be the coach for starters?.

We''d all like an English chap, the jocks would want a German (and why not I say!) the Welsh would want a Welshman, and the Irish would want Jack Charlton, again!.

There are too many vested interests and hidden agenda''s at play for this ever to work.

Anyway, we would never beat the best team in the world, Germany, so there!. 

I hate seeing professionals for any sport in the olympics. If we do put a team together, I would like to see a youth team (is this what they do anyway for the Olympics?).

AS an olympic special, I would like to see a GB youth team. However, only for the Olympics - I''m English and like to support England, not Scotland and Wales!

I think its  a great idea for the 2012 games but not as a general rule. It probably won''t make much difference as I thought that the Olympic football was somehow age-restricted meaning that only players below a certain age can play. So we wouldn''t see the "main" teams of the various home nations amalgamated, just some of the better young players.

Anything that increases our chances of some success is fine by me regardless of what the internal politics are.

Its amazing to think that in 2012, Wayne Rooney should be just about in his prime as would our own Deano (but where will he be??)!!

i think the idea is good and would love to see it. we have a great britain rugby league team and union team, as well as every other sport we compete in at olympic level. personally, i don''t see why it should be a problem.

how do they decide who competes in the olympics at the mo? trials and then the british olympic commitee decide who would have the best chance based on previous performances?

i don''t see why one or two leading people from each fa couldn''t sit down and decide who should or shouldn''t be part of the squad. maybe it should be an independant panel who selects, but who would be on that panel? ex-footballers not currently working for any fa?

i don''t think it should be england/ scotland/wales/ n ireland first team regulars but the ones just below that level. this would be the perfect arena for them to prove themselves, albeit every four years.

oh yeah... let''s not forget there''s going to be a ladies team as well, eh?

The only reason I mentioned Ashton being involved was because that Beckham chappy said he would want to be in the squad. Maybe even come out of retirement. Maybe it should be players who have only been capped under 10 times. Then you get young players coming through and players who are considered quality players but not quite up to full international standard. If Beckham was in the squad, I personally wouldn''t be too happy about it. These Olympics are not for sportsmen and women who are past it and only want to rebuild some of there reputations as celebrities. To be honest, Beckham shouldn''t be in the England first team now, let alone in the British side 7 years from now.

I heard that David Beckham, although he will be 37, is going to captain the Great Britain squad, and they will have a proper professional squad, instead of the normal amateurs.

Although he did say on Sky Sports News a few days ago he stated by then he would be retired, he might be coaching them or something.

Although slightly different rules in the olympics aparently, if i am right you are allow two members of your team to be over the age of 23, the rest have to be under 23, also aparently you are not allowed to play if you have been part of a world cup team.

Without sounding arrogant it would just be England plus a couple more.  How many Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish players would get into a GB X1 today?  One or two maybe.  I see no reason why it would be any different in seven years time

what do you think the great britain team would look like now?

-------------robinson----------

neville--terry-----campbell---cole

beckham--gerrard--lampard----giggs

---------owen-------rooney

it would just be the england team with giggs on the left!

i could only think of 1 other non englishman that would get into the squad - craig bellamy????

what do u think?

what about ashton and green?

come on your a city supporter!

-------------Green--------------

neville---terry---Campbell---cole-

beckham--gerrard--lampard----giggs

---------Ashton-------rooney-----

or in a few years time when our stars come to light:

-------------Green--------------

neville---terry---Shackell---Drury-

Henderson--gerrard--lampard----giggs

---------Ashton-------rooney-----