Hoola Han Solo

From Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads

Lay me place and bake me Pie

I''m starving for me Gravy

Leave my shoes, and door unlocked

I might just slip away

Just for the Day, Hey!

Please come Away, Hey! [repeat ad inf.]

Sad day in this household, will be playing his music tonight.

And if your homework brings you down,

We''ll throw it on the fire

and take the car downtown.

Very sad news. He was one of the greats of rock and roll, a true artist, working until the very end. I saw him back in 1997 at his Earthling tour - a great experience it was.

R.I.P.

This day had to come at sometime, today is that day. Bowie was way more than just a music legend, but an artistic innovator, arguably the greatest single influence on the  way we live in our modern age, although im sure many will disagree, and to many younger folk today, just not old enough to comprehend why i say that.Elvis was the great figurehead of the 50s, which brought in the Rock n Roll idium, which forever smashed the then big band musical genre. The Beatles in the 60s took the Rock n Roll and fused it with the soul of the black singers, with the help of other great British groups, and also helped young people to break out from the dreary 2nd world war life styles of their  parents / grandparents.I was 15 in 1969, a very strange year for a young person to be leaving school and  going out into the big wide world. The last traces of the hippy era of 67 were still lingering, but amidst this the Skinhead youth culture was born, with their love of reggae music and definitive fashion. Football grounds became part of the Skinhead culture, and down at the Carra we saw the Barclay bovver boys born. In 1968 the big movie that year was 2001 A Space Odyssey and a young musician from Brixton tagged onto to this and made a rough cut of a song called Space Oddity. It wasnt until the next year, in 69, just as America put men onto the moon, that Bowie had reaaranged  the song and released it. A british top 5 hit, the 1st 7 inch i ever bought. But the world wasnt yet ready for Mr. Bowie.Was not until 1972, when he had found his first great personna, Ziggy Stardust, that he finally had the foundation to shake the world. I need to keep this post short so briefly, he was a singer, musician, fashion guru whos fashion has shaped our high streets more than we know, film actor, broadway presenter, accomplished painter, internet pioneer, active in video games, and a host of other mediums to long to  put into words.Its fitting that his great character from Space Oddity, Major Tom, finally found a planet to crash onto, and die, and be found by the planets dwellers, who could not understand this life form, yet end up reverring and being influenced by him, as presented in the video of Blackstar, the final album  released just 3 days ago on his 69th birthday. At least its my thinking. From 1969 until his 69th birthday, Bowie has influenced my life. Long after his death, his influence will still  be shaping our lives, even if many fail to know that. RIP David.

There are plenty of artists that I have enjoyed and admired in my life but Bowie was one of a very tiny handful who really stood out as being special. He''s left a huge musical legacy but he was more even than that. Sad day for me.

What Elvis started  Bowie completed...kinda fitting both were born on Jan 8th. Also fitting that Major Toms creator should die at same time as a Brit called Major Tim is up there, who even sent his thoughts on Bowie back to Earth from his own tin can.

Sweet Thing - Candidate - Sweet Thing from David Live, an iconic performance from an iconic artist. Listened to Blackstar yesterday, another amazing album, sad that today we are without DB.

I must have been nineteen or twentyish and heavily into bog standard rock music when I bought a second hand copy of Ziggy Stardust on cassette from the music stall at the Norwich Indoor Market (now Roys @ Anglia Square, I believe).  Over the following weeks I picked up Aladdin Sane, Hunky Dory and his debut album (patchy at best, other than Space Oddity, obvs).  I had never heard anything quite like it - the drama, the musical theatre, the sense of possibility both in music and lyrics.  He opened my eyes and ears to what was possible if you went beyond the obvious.   I didn''t like all his work, of course, but at his best he was one of the true greats, a visionary of his time.

Farewell to a true maverick, a controversial style icon and someone

who never bowed to authority irrespective of the circumstances.Lewis Grabban, you will be missed.

Being under 30, I obviously wasn''t around in his prime. Been a fan for several years, but never really ventured past the greatest hits album. Time to put this right and start devouring most of his albums. It''s a shame it took his death to prompt me to delve deeper but I''m sure I''m not the only one.