Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Week ahead - implications in the relegation scrap

So, two tough away games for us at Stoke, and at Bournemouth.

Will be fairly happy with 2 draws from these games, altough a loss and a win is even better.

But equally (perhaps more) important is how the other bottom clubs, Newcastle, Sunderland, Swansea and Bournemouth do over the next 2 games. A team like West Ham can help us out, coming from straight wins in the league, and also a cup win.

Worrying fact that Swansea, Newcastle and Bournemouth all have 2 home games this week, while we are 2 away.

My guesses:

Newcastle - Man U X (dull as fu*k)

Newcastle - West Ham X (dont think WH win away)

Swansea - Sunderland X (dream scenario)

Tottenham - Sunderland 1

Swansea - Sunderland X (low scoring)

Swansea - Watford X (low scoring)

Bournemouth - West Ham X

Bournemouth - Norwich X

Stoke - Norwich 1 (struggle to see us getting something)

Bournemouth - Norwich X (cruncher)

If we can keep the distance to the relegation zone down to at least 4 points after this week, I''d be reasonably happy with that.

Not very optimistic about going to Stoke on a wet, windy Wednesday, and I dislike the optimism on the south coast with Bournemouths recent form and signings. Hope we can turn up in both games.

Worst scenario is ofourse us losing both games, Swans and Bournemouth winning theirs, and Newcastle picking up 3-4 points vs Man U and West Ham.

If so, we will be deep down there again.

Before any start picking on this thread, branding it negative, etc. Instead of buring your head in the sand, try to come up with your own predictions and views on what would be a good week for us, realisticly.

Also got a feeling Lafferty can do a job for us at Stoke, last 20 mins, some guts, roughing up a few feathers, etc.

"Will be fairly happy with 2 draws from these games, altough a loss and a win is even better. "

Genius

"Also got a feeling Lafferty can do a job for us at Stoke, last 20 mins, some guts, roughing up a few feathers, etc. "

He could certainly ruffle a few feathers, he might even get a goal,given the chance. Didn''t do a lot when he came on on Saturday but we were well beaten by then.

I would take two points from the two away fixtures but a win and a loss would be so much better, particularly if the win is against Bournemouth

I hope Seb and Bennet can stay fit, they are playing a lot of games ATM.

[quote user="Buh"]"Will be fairly happy with 2 draws from these games, altough a loss and a win is even better. "

Genius[/quote]

Could not resist a dig?

Glad you also agreed that 0+3 is better than 1+1

Got a rather bad feeling about Newcastle- Man U tonight.

Man U are terrible these days, Van Gaal under pressure, boring football, etc.

Newcastle will feel they got little to lose in a game like this, and should go for it.

Typical scenario where a shite club like Newcastle can get 3 points which were unexpected earlier in the season.

Obviously I''m rooting for a Man U win, but think it will end in a draw. Fear Newcastle can get win in their sails with a good result here, though.

I saw Newcastle away at Arsenal last week, and they impressed me. Played very well, and Arsenal were infact a bit lucky to win it.

Important for us that Newcastle are not getting points for their struggles.

Prepare the moaning.

Well at least Rooney has found a smidgen of form. He likes a game against Newcastle usually...

As for the week ahead, it''s all on us. The rest will take care of itself either way. We have a massive chance to really pull away from that dreaded 18th spot now.

I''ll be happy with at least 4 points with the 3 coming from Bournemouth. That would put daylight between them and us and would keep the large gap between us and the north east 2 and Swansea.

I wonder if the odd prospective transfer target is waiting to see how the next couple of weeks pan out. People like Eder, Nkoulou and Zaza are likely to be hard to convince if we''re in the thick of it come the end of the month.

[quote user="Tettey''s Jig"]

I wonder if the odd prospective transfer target is waiting to see how the next couple of weeks pan out. People like Eder, Nkoulou and Zaza are likely to be hard to convince if we''re in the thick of it come the end of the month. /quote]

Yes, this is very likely imho.

Espescially since there almost guaranteed will be relegation clauses with regards to paychecks.

In that respect, the wins vs Villa and Soton during Xmas was very important, and as AN says, the next 4 games will shape our season.

If we can get through the next 4 games with daylight to the last relegation spot, say 26-27 points and 5-7 points down to the relegation places, I think we will be OK.

But the 5 games between March 19th and April 23rd will determine our fate.

2016-03-19 West Bromwich - Norwich

2016-04-02 Norwich - Newcastle

2016-04-09 Crystal Palace - Norwich

2016-04-16 Norwich - Sunderland

2016-04-23 Norwich - Watford

It''s fair to point out that we have 2 away games while some of the teams around/below us have a couple of home games.  Away games in the Prem are normally tough, that''s the difference from being in the Championship.  Except Sunderland this season which was easier than any away game I can remember last season, but there you go.

The good thing about the 3 wins over the Christmas period is that it has put it back in our control.  2 points from these games is acceptable especially because that ensures Bmth only get one point from that game too.  Anything more is good.