Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

Afobe 12 million

If Neil REALLY wanted him then we would have got him. Perhaps we have a more suitable / exciting striker in the pipe work?

What is strange though is that for all our talk of being keen to do business early whilst Bournemouth have hired Iturbe and Afobe we have merely recruited a RB to add to the 3 we already have and turned a loanee into a permanent.

Still, ALL judgement and conclusions must wait until the window shuts. I just hope that with Afobe and Ranocchia now out of the picture we are not just scratching our heads behind closed doors ...

If Neil REALLY wanted him then we would have got him!!!!Didn''t Lambert want Bentake and is the reason for the bust up, so he left.The board has the final say and at the moment it looks like one-out and then you can get one-in.We need a fire sale on our fringe players who are blocking the transfers with their wages.

What I meant was ... we haven''t failed to get Afobe because of the fee Wolves were demanding. Bournemouth have paid what we offered in the summer.

Since I posted that Neil has mentioned money as the stumbling block so I assume that we couldn''t match Bournemouth''s wages.

Still, if Afobe was our top target the press would have been reporting our role in the chase far more than they did. Perhaps we have new priorities since the summer?

Oh dear here we go again!

For too many years now we have played pretend in Premier League that is we would like to be in this league but really can not afford wages fees etc.

We are struggling again and so far we have got a rb for a million or so who from all accounts isnt much better than we have already.

What many fans do not seem to realise is the rewards next year are even bigger hence bournmouth are spending big time while we stay in bargain basement!

Our manager is a great leader but our activity in the transfer market is utterly shambolic. Hopper, Whittaker, Lafferty and Grabban should have been out in the summer for a combined £15million and that should have been spent on a top striker. If Boro want Jerome for £8 million he should be sold too as he''s not premiership class.

The only player they did sell was Johnson and that was a mistake. He''s the perfect player for a tough away day at Watford or Stoke.

The fact that both promoted clubs can attract world class players and we can''t is depressing. World class players win you games and keep you in the premiership. Thankfully Alex Neil is a decent manager and has got a lot more than expected out of 60% of the team who are below premiership quality.

[quote user="CJ"]Oh dear here we go again!

For too many years now we have played pretend in Premier League that is we would like to be in this league but really can not afford wages fees etc.

We are struggling again and so far we have got a rb for a million or so who from all accounts isnt much better than we have already.

What many fans do not seem to realise is the rewards next year are even bigger hence bournmouth are spending big time while we stay in bargain basement![/quote]

We''re all aware of that, you can stop going on about it.

[quote user="Mooney"]Our manager is a great leader but our activity in the transfer market is utterly shambolic. Hopper, Whittaker, Lafferty and Grabban should have been out in the summer for a combined £15million and that should have been spent on a top striker. If Boro want Jerome for £8 million he should be sold too as he''s not premiership class.

The only player they did sell was Johnson and that was a mistake. He''s the perfect player for a tough away day at Watford or Stoke.

The fact that both promoted clubs can attract world class players and we can''t is depressing. World class players win you games and keep you in the premiership. Thankfully Alex Neil is a decent manager and has got a lot more than expected out of 60% of the team who are below premiership quality.[/quote]

Which ''world class'' players?

[quote user="Mooney"]Our manager is a great leader but our activity in the transfer market is utterly shambolic. Hopper, Whittaker, Lafferty and Grabban should have been out in the summer for a combined £15million and that should have been spent on a top striker. If Boro want Jerome for £8 million he should be sold too as he''s not premiership class.

The fact that both promoted clubs can attract world class players and we can''t is depressing. World class players win you games and keep you in the premiership. Thankfully Alex Neil is a decent manager and has got a lot more than expected out of 60% of the team who are below premiership quality.[/quote]I think your meaning of world class is different to virtually every other football fan in the world.

[quote user="Herman "]I think your meaning of world class is different to virtually every other football fan in the world.[/quote]

The rest of what he''s saying is pretty spot on though.

No, it really wasn''t. The only thing I can slighly agree on is getting rid of players that are surplus to requirements. But that''s easier said than done.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]If Neil REALLY wanted him then we would have got him. Perhaps we have a more suitable / exciting striker in the pipe work?

What is strange though is that for all our talk of being keen to do business early whilst Bournemouth have hired Iturbe and Afobe we have merely recruited a RB to add to the 3 we already have and turned a loanee into a permanent.

Still, ALL judgement and conclusions must wait until the window shuts. I just hope that with Afobe and Ranocchia now out of the picture we are not just scratching our heads behind closed doors ...[/quote]

AN really wanted him in the summer and we didn''t get him!

We can''t attract top quality strikers, so ou best option is to buy up and coming ones and hope they step up to the mark. Afobe, IMO would have been worth the punt. If we take Grabban for example. One good season in the Cham[pionship with us, and he''s being touted at around £8m. We''d make a net gain whatever he goes for. AFobe would be the same. We got our fingers burnt with RVW and our board have been scared to try ever since!

I think AFobe may well prove to be "one that got away" but at least as ncfc fans we''re used to watching players go elsewhere.

A direct comparison to other clubs isn''t very fair.

Watford could spend just under £30m in the summer due to their owners and Bournemouth are bankrolled by Russian millions.

Without our own sugar daddy we will always be the trawler with the smallest net when it comes to transfers. It''s not lack of ambition or disorganisation that put us at a disadvantage.

I am just waiting for the last minute panic buy of some cb or forward we have not even considered late in January.

Derby County who are trying to come up have just spent 20 plus million all business done players in place, like Bournemouth last year may be in trouble with League for overspend.

And once again the club sit and watch as our target players get taken by our competitors I can assure you that 10 million spent will be repaid many times over if they stay up and we do not.

Yes its a risk but this club should have more faith in AN and for once get the players he wants.

And that is what annoys me AN has spent bog all so far and that after what he has achieved. And we all know he is not the kind of person to say anything about the boards lack of ambition.

I also agree hanging on to players who clearly have no future here is stupid there are at least six who should be gone in this window.

Iam sorry but so many people went on about how rubbish afobe was in the summer

now all of a sudden he is a world class striker

Whether we got him or not is largely irrelevant there will be other options

The complete incompetence of our Directors as previous posters have highlighted is the real concern

We need a decent Director Of Football and we need one now

It''s the 10th of January Waveney. Come back in 20 plus days with your nonsense if we don''t sign anyone.

Paul

At the end of the day it is not what fans think of a player but the manager.

What worries is me is that Afobe was clearly a target for AN last summer, but the price wasnt right, nearly lost Brady same way!

We urgently need decent cb and attacker before this window over and i reckon will cost us 20 million. We all know that isnt going to happen.

If we dont get another cb can not see how we will survive as reliant on two players remaining fit and no suspension.

it ok people keep saying the window has 20 days to go but we have games it that 20 days we could have had new players playing earning us points

no point waiting till the last day signing people when we have important points to win this month !!

i don''t know if we wanted afobe now AN might i moved targets but Bournemouth want to sign him and have done the deal early quickly and without messing about

they could if completed today have a fresh new striker playing the upcoming games in the next 20 days maybe earning points for them to stay up as we pi$$ about

[quote user="Lord Nelson"]Whether we got him or not is largely irrelevant there will be other options

The complete incompetence of our Directors as previous posters have highlighted is the real concern

We need a decent Director Of Football and we need one now[/quote]What was wrong with "Eaton Ron " Waveney? [:^)]

no point waiting till the last day signing people when we have important points to win this month !! ....NFG

Errr , i dont think its entirely up to us who comes when and for how much. Otherwise we''d prob have a front three of Neymar , Aguero and Suarez wit Messi in behind. All on £ 100 a week and a token for chips at the market.

Otherwise we''d prob have a front three of Neymar , Aguero and Suarez wit Messi in behind. All on £ 100 a week and a token for chips at the market.

that''s just being silly we all know DM would want to pay them £90 a week and no chips so would never happen

Seems they have signed him for £8m not £12m. On that basis not sure what we can do we offered more ? so I presume he has gone on the basis of wages so basically another greedy f***er

We were rumoured to have offered more but that was back in August not this month so there''s no basis to say he''s greedy and gone for the money.

Also what''s to say that Afobe just wasn''t our top target this month and that someone else is. It wasn''t until mid August we started trying to sign him last time around so I don''t think he was the top target then but was just one of a number of them on a list.

This "six who should be gone", what if no-one wanted them, or, more to the point, they won''t go as they''re never likely to get anything like the wages they''ll be on here again in their careers?

If they''re not good enough for us then who can afford them?

[quote user="Herman "]No, it really wasn''t. The only thing I can slighly agree on is getting rid of players that are surplus to requirements. But that''s easier said than done.[/quote]

CJ and Herman. I think most would agree that Ighalo and Juan Iturbe are both world class players. We have failed to add people like Andrea Ranocchia and failed badly in terms of being rejected by big players.

We do need to be looking to add top British players like Afobe and then build. Naismith is not world class but he would be a great addition, at least he''s not championship standard like Martin, Jerome and O''Neil, Grabban etc

[quote user="Mooney"][quote user="Herman "]No, it really wasn''t. The only thing I can slighly agree on is getting rid of players that are surplus to requirements. But that''s easier said than done.[/quote]

CJ and Herman. I think most would agree that Ighalo and Juan Iturbe are both world class players. We have failed to add people like Andrea Ranocchia and failed badly in terms of being rejected by big players.

We do need to be looking to add top British players like Afobe and then build. Naismith is not world class but he would be a great addition, at least he''s not championship standard like Martin, Jerome and O''Neil, Grabban etc[/quote]

I think most would agree that they are not.

[quote user="Mooney"][quote user="Herman "]No, it really wasn''t. The only thing I can slighly agree on is getting rid of players that are surplus to requirements. But that''s easier said than done.[/quote]

We do need to be looking to add top British players like Afobe and then build. Naismith is not world class but he would be a great addition, at least he''s not championship standard like Martin, Jerome and O''Neil, Grabban etc[/quote]Really? We weren''t after Rannochia.What big players have rejected us?Is Afobe a top British player or an over expensive risk?Are these the same players that loads were whinging about being too good for the Championship?

We can be after great players all we like but if we aren''t willing to entice them here (e.g. wages) then we may as well not bother. Having said that Iturbe is a risk; he been $hit for Roma