Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

Afobe 12 million

[quote user="Indy"]Does anyone really believe Bournemouth offered 8 million for Grabban? It was one questionable source and nothing official!

I''d imagine AN & DM would have the same opinion as the rest of us and personally delivered him to Bournemouth!

It''s more likely total bull or a very over estimated offer?

As for Afobe can I just point out he''s failed to make the grade at Arsenal, had a half decent season at Wolves and 12 million for a younger Jerome is way too much of a gamble, we have two similar players in Mbokani & Jerome, maybe Haller is our main target and in our sights?[/quote]Would you rather have Afobe, or a player sat here earning wages, that the manager has little interest in playing?

Morty I would get rid of Grabban, but was there ever a realistic offer made is my point?

As for Afobe, there''s a lot of people wetting themselves but in reality he''s had one decent season at Wolves and the rest of his time on loan not really been out of this world! At 23 in a month I''m not over bothered if we miss out.

There must be better options out there, just my opinion.

But it must have been true Indy because it was in the paper. (And it obviously wasn''t another rehash from a summer story).

[quote user="Indy"]Morty I would get rid of Grabban, but was there ever a realistic offer made is my point?

As for Afobe, there''s a lot of people wetting themselves but in reality he''s had one decent season at Wolves and the rest of his time on loan not really been out of this world! At 23 in a month I''m not over bothered if we miss out.

There must be better options out there
, just my opinion.[/quote]I can''t really think of too many, to be honest.I don''t think anyone is "wetting themselves" but its obvious that we need another option up front.

I think we got Mbokani on loan and Afobe then went cold, but so many people are getting their knickers in a twist because of a report Bournemouth have had a reported 12 million bid accepted, we have a player who made the championship look easy place to score last year in Jerome, not sure Afobe can make that step up and in my mind could end up being another Jerome, never really making a regular team in this division.

As for better out there, well 12 million is a fair sum and if we have a good scouting network then there are some decent youngsters out there.

I know my cousin out in Plzen raves about a young lad who''s at Ajax, Cerny, said he''s an attacking midfielder, the next Rosicky according to a lot of the press reports. Might be a better gamble at half the price? I don''t know but I''m sure we have scouts out there with targets.

Agree Morty. Could hit the ground running. He is currently fit, no language barrier. Dont know where he lives but relocating shouldnt be a problem. Good links to London where friends and family are. Young with big future ahead.

Maybe Holty could sell the club to him. Im sure they would have had a conversation or two!

Alternatively bring in a foreign player who needs to be sold the club, time to adjust and settle, language problems,etc

I wonder how many ''better options'' for £10m-£13m available strikers there are in January?

If Bournemouth had Grabban and Afobe as their targets then you may surmise ... not many!

I would have been delighted with Afobe here.

There''s nothing here yet though is there, we bid 10 million last summer it was turned down and Afobe himself came out and said he didn''t want to move to Norwich last summer, so I''m not that bothered if we did miss out. If we got him great but I don''t see him any better than Jerome.

We''re quick to discount our own youngsters and then get all upset that we don''t spend12 million on a player who scored 10 goals for MK Dons in league 1, a couple seasons ago, now how''s young Murphy doing at Covvy?

I''m not saying I don''t want a striker, yep a replacement for Laffs, Grabban and Hooper, yep but I''m not convinced by what I''ve seen from Afobe with Wolves, Murphy at the binners looks a decent player in that division.

Surely for 12 million we could get Austin from QPR.

I''m with Indy. I think £12m, or any where near it, is a very big gamble for us.

I''m not prepared to pass comment on it until T has posted Big Sams opinion on the chances of the transfer.

Yes but that''s just talk, nothing concrete in that! They have signed a striker on loan already.

If you consider that Grabban has looked out of his depth at this level and Afobe hasn''t played at this level, would you be happy with a proposed 20 million outlay on two questionable strikers?

I just don''t see it, more to appease the fans and press talk.

[quote user="Indy"]Yes but that''s just talk, nothing concrete in that! They have signed a striker on loan already.

If you consider that Grabban has looked out of his depth at this level and Afobe hasn''t played at this level, would you be happy with a proposed 20 million outlay on two questionable strikers?

I just don''t see it, more to appease the fans and press talk.[/quote]A lot of peoples angst has to do with all that nonsense in the summer where we allegedly bid on loads of players, then ended up getting none of them.

You''re probably right Morty, but all this talk of a poor summer was rubbish really, we had that CB everyone wanted it just took AN a few months to find him in Bennett.!

We didn''t spend huge amounts but we did get in a couple solid signings and a couple still to prove themselves their worth, Dorrans & Mulumbu come to mind.

I''d rather spend time to find a quality proven striker for 12 million or take a chance on a younger cheaper striker like the lad from France were linked with.

He''ll I''m happy to have tied up Jarvis who I had my reservations about, Pinto looks a solid good buy and we have one youth player in the bag with the lad from York in our sights......can''t complain, can we?

Whilst on the one hand I agree with you Indy ... if Alex really wanted Afobe I think we would have seriously rivalled Bournemouth (we haven''t been out priced).

However, I think that, due to our recent good run, you may be guilty of underestimating how big a missed opportunity it would be if we failed to seriously upgrade our first team in this window. I wouldn''t be at all surprised if we slipped back into the bottom 3 at some point between now and May.

Still, there''s a huge chunk of the Jan window left.

Cantiaci - genuine question.

Why do you think we will slip back at some point? Do you think our upturn in form, will crash around us , whilst the likes of Newcastle and Sunderland will go on a very good run? I haven''t looked at the respective fixtures, so perhaps that is behind your thinking?

i don''t believe for one min that we turned down 8 million for Grabban,it would make no sense and we all know the club would jump at the chance of unloading a bad apple at such a huge fee

[quote user="Indy"]Does anyone really believe Bournemouth offered 8 million for Grabban? It was one questionable source and nothing official!

I''d imagine AN & DM would have the same opinion as the rest of us and personally delivered him to Bournemouth!

It''s more likely total bull or a very over estimated offer?

As for Afobe can I just point out he''s failed to make the grade at Arsenal, had a half decent season at Wolves and 12 million for a younger Jerome is way too much of a gamble, we have two similar players in Mbokani & Jerome, maybe Haller is our main target and in our sights?[/quote]
I''d prefer Haller to Afobe to be honest. I''d be happy with either taking Grabban''s spot, and I''d be happy with Afobe, but if we had a choice between the two, I think I''d rather have Haller.

12 million would be a gamble for City...i doubt it is for Bournemouth, who are just another club with very rich owners backing them. They can throw money around with gay abandon, whereas City have to pretty much do business within the constraints of the sky money.  Clubs who can throw many around like water just lose all sense of true value and worth imo, we are one if not the only club in the Prem. who live day to day within our means, is why i praise our board so much for how things are handled. Maybe Swansea and Arsenal to, are clubs run on good values.As to Afobe, who cares?...if Bournemouth get him good luck to him. He will in a few months be jostling for a place with the likes of Wilson and Murray. Sure he will score some goals, but he wont find Premier defences as accomadating as Chump defences thats for sure. As for Lewis Grabban, hes a City player who Alex will not sell to a rival. End of.  His form can freely be discussed on forums of course, but he wears yellow and green, on the pitch we support him.

I think Sam will eventually get Sunderland drilled and with Defoe, Johnson and Fletcher they could easily ''escape'' yet again. Newcastle have some real quality and a new manager there should get them motoring too.

After a reasonable / frustrating start to the season we endured a long tough spell before our current flash of good form.

I don''t think there are definitely 3 sides with less quality than us ... which is why this window is vital.

We may well have our tails up due to the last 4 games but things can turn very quickly.

Don''t get me wrong, I adore Neil and am hugely proud of the club and players, but I think it''s unwise to see us out of the dog fight just because of recent weeks.

So you think that Allardyce, Defoe, Johnson and Fletcher are (individually) better than Neil, Mbokani, Wes and Jerome? There is the ''collective/team'' argument that you just can''t ignore.

I am not saying we are safe, but I feel that what we have, where we are, and where we (look like) are going, outstrips what I see at Sunderland, Newcastle and Villa.

McClaren could well be the key for the Geordies, and if they keep him in charge, then all good for us.

Crabby - all I mean is that Sunderland and Newcastle have the players to get them out if trouble and Sam is capable of building a team unity and belief to match us.

I just hope we can have a more productive window than last time to give us every possible chance of staying up.

I agree about McClaren.

I agree with Cantiaci that it''s not inconceivable that we could slip into the bottom three at some point between now and May. Things look great at the moment on the back of some good results, but that could change quite quickly and I too feel the squad needs just a little more quality.

While I''m loathed to quote George Osborne, we should still be looking to fix the roof while the sun''s shining and get an additional quality CB and an upgrade on Grabban. But I don''t think Afobe at £12m is that man.

Adobe is going to be worth treble that in a few years.

This is my opinion.

The new & English Lukaku.

We spent 7 on Brady, how is 10 or 12 million mental money for a free-scoring striker?

He might not want to come here but ultimately I believe we are missing out on a future England international. Him and Wilson will be epic next season especially.

We need more ambition.

[quote user="Lewis DW"]Adobe is going to be worth treble that in a few years.

This is my opinion.

The new & English Lukaku.

We spent 7 on Brady, how is 10 or 12 million mental money for a free-scoring striker?

He might not want to come here but ultimately I believe we are missing out on a future England international. Him and Wilson will be epic next season especially.

We need more ambition.[/quote]Agreed. We haven''t been free scoring all season with current strikers, so need better to keep improving. Afobe will improve and gives us different options to Mbokani and Jerome. A can of baked beans is better than Grabban!

There is little doubt that Norwich would appear to be faffing about it he transfer market.

It will leave a pretty sour taste in the mouth if Afobe is playing for Bournemouth at a cost of £10m, and Grabban is still at Carrow Road come February 1st.

Watford are proving that a striker who knows where the back of the net is can take you a long way. I will be surprised if Afobe doesn''t score on a much more regular basis than Grabban, and it''s galling that it could have cost Norwich merely a nett £3m spend.