Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Pinto bringing the best out of Redmond?

Just a thought, but if Pinto is as quick as people say, and he can hold his own more often than not in 1 vs 1 situations, it could mean less defensive work for Redmond, which hopefully will make him more of a threat going forward, both on the break and in other situations.

Redmond has not looked very good for a while now. AN wants him to help out more defensively on the right, which he does to the best of his (defensive) abilities, but if he can concentrate mroe on his offensive contributions, he will again become the dangerous player we know he can be. Hopefully.

"Redmond has not looked very good for a while now".

Except for that game at Old Trafford when he was MOTM!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35078521

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="hogesar"]I think Redmond has been alright.[/quote]

Looks like you need a bigger TV. 

[/quote]
[:D]

Blah.

We all know Redmond has not lived up to his potential. He is young, he will be variable, as all wingers, and all that.

But, there is, maybe, easier for him to fulfil his potential with a more potent rightback behind him, if Pinto is potent...

Those who claim Redmond has been very good for us this season do not understand much football.

He has been OK. Nothing more, nothing less.

I want more from him, much more. Pinto can help him do it, imho. Will be plenty of pace on the right now.

I can''t believe I''m going to do this - defend grefstad, and almost agree with him.Redmond started the season on fire, and was a good reason for our good early form. Since then, I''d best describe him as inconsistent. He''s had good games. But he''s had some bad ones as well. Against Southampton he was particularly bad, and you could argue that taking him off for VOO was the change we needed in that game.I''m not sure if Redmond is perhaps a little tired from the U21''s in the summer. He played a lot of U21 football last year. Is it catching up with him?Getting to the original point, I think it''s going to be exciting to see what Pinto can bring down that flank. I thought at the start of the year, when Jarvis and Brady combined down the left with pace, they were very effective. I agree that maybe Redmond & Pinto could have a similar impact down the right.

To be fair, most of Redmond''s best performances have been when playing with Whittaker, who most people have criticised as our weakest right-back.

[quote user="hogesar"]To be fair, most of Redmond''s best performances have been when playing with Whittaker, who most people have criticised as our weakest right-back.[/quote]

Yes, it is a good point. But if we are going in that route, you will have to account for the quality of the opposition, etc.

When Whittaker plays, we have emphasis on attack and support from the fullbacks anyway (almost gung-ho), which may explain it.

Think you''re unnecessary harsh on Redmond here, Grefstad. While you can contend he hasn''t lived up to his potential, which at one point looked like being a world beater, he''s put in a number of decent performances for us this season. He is, after all, our top goal-scorer right now.

There''s also an argument that his progression is hampered by being in a side with players of lesser ability.

Redmond is a product of the team mentality; flourishes when they have an attacking approach; has struggled to have the same impact since the post Toon refocus on protecting the back 4.

Despite this he is at worst inconsistent yet still more likely to be involved in a goal & its build up than any other player other than wes.

Better defender will enable redmond to flourish; but more than just adding pinto; as a minimum we need a more disciplined right sided centre back is needed just as much to facilitate a return to a more attack focus within the team

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]

There''s also an argument that his progression is hampered by being in a side with players of lesser ability.[/quote]

Agree with this, to some extent.

But if you look at how Redmond suddenly has stopped taking people on, like he used to do, stopped using his pace (often he waits for the defender to catch up with him, before he starts to dribble, instead of bombing on), etc.

I''d say his development has stalled a bit. Maybe I''m harsh, maybe not, but I think there is so much potential there which is not being shown, often enough.

And it is not like he is a young talent anymore either, as he turns 22 in March.

If Redmond is involved in, let''s say 30 of our 38 games in some capacity (startign or a sub), I would expect him to deliver a good game (or a good sub appearance) in at least 20 of those 30 games. I just can not see Redmond doing that at the moment. Too inconsistent.

But, with Pinto''s arrival, maybe he will blossom a bit again.

Christ! 21 isn''t young anymore? I''d better start looking at how to get my free bus pass then!

A better way to phrase Redmond''s development would be to say he is developing according to potential but hasn''t hit his potential get. I think he is one of the most important names on the teamsheet and probably the first one the opponents defenders look for.

Its patently obvious what happened, you''re just not as clued up about football as you like to think you are Guffstat.Redmond and Whittaker down the right is fine when playing a poor team who have little pace, as Whittaker bombs forward giving Redmond cover to take risks.Its obvious though that this was worked out pretty quickly by opposing teams, and with the change in personnel at right back, it gave Redmond less scope to take risks.Its feck all to do with "his development stalling", but well done for trying to find yet another negative[Y]

[quote user="morty"]Its feck all to do with "his development stalling", but well done for trying to find yet another negative[Y][/quote]

Oh, so the well informed Morty has it from good sources that Redmond is on fire, doing well, nothing to improve?

If not, how do you know it is not a drop of form?

Convenient to blame "the system", or "changes of rightbacks", isn''t it?

I am slightly disappointed by the progress of Redmond. I have expected more from him, but appreciate it could(?) be down to the system, not the best teammates, being asked to do stuff not natural to him (defending), etc. Still, I expect more. I want to see him run at people, when he has got the chance.

How often do you see that, these days, Morty?

Or is he limited by "the system" when he got 40 yards ahead of him to run at the left back, but choses to stall his run, and wait for the opposition to outcrowd him?

No, it is a confidence thing with Redmond. He does not seem as confident in his own ability to beat the defender, as he was in the past.

In my eyes, that is stalling development. He is certainly not progressing as a player, at best sideways at the moment.

Perhaps your television doesn''t show both wings, only the centre third of the pitch, so you can''t properly see him playing/running?

Apples

"If Redmond is involved in, let''s say 30 of our 38 games in some capacity (startign or a sub), I would expect him to deliver a good game (or a good sub appearance) in at least 20 of those 30 games."

How many good games do you think he''s had so far this season?

Have not counted Redmond''s good games for us this season, but there are not many.

Obviously the opposition is way better than in the Championship (quicker defenders, espescially), and I wonder if this is what has made him drop his runs at the left back.

How often have you seen Redmond beat his defender and deliver a cross this season?

[quote user="Mr Apples"]

Perhaps your television doesn''t show both wings, only the centre third of the pitch, so you can''t properly see him playing/running?

Apples

[/quote]

You know that''s not true apples. It has been explained many times by Gref that his 50 inch screen enables all the pitch to be seen. It''s a truley amazing thing.

[quote user="Mr Apples"]

Apples

[/quote]

You know that''s not true apples. It has been explained many times by Gref that his 50 inch screen enables all the pitch to be seen. It''s a truley amazing thing.

[quote user="Mr Apples"]

Apples

[/quote][:D]

Sorry Mr Jenkins, I was just being childish...I''ll go and sit in the corner and have a long, hard reflection on my behaviour...although I can''t seem to see the corners of the room from where I''m sitting so this may not be possible?!?!

Apples

I''m beginning to wonder if Gref has a giant curved screen apples, possibly only available in Norway, where he can sit in the middle of the pitch and watch all the players run around him.

[quote user="grefstad"]Have not counted Redmond''s good games for us this season, but there are not many. Obviously the opposition is way better than in the Championship (quicker defenders, espescially), and I wonder if this is what has made him drop his runs at the left back. How often have you seen Redmond beat his defender and deliver a cross this season?[/quote]

Nathan is our 4th best crosser.

Robbie Brady is our best crosser with 1.8 per game.

Looks like we not big on crosses this season.

Grefstad, Redmond has clearly been stifled of late - pretty much from the Newcastle match onwards, hence no goals since - as AN has chosen to deploy a more ''robust'' system in an attempt to keep us in the Prem. Part of that is Redmond not having so much freedom to attack because of the requirement to defend.

The idea he isn''t pushing forward enough or taking on the defender solely due to confidence is far too simplistic and, in my opinion, wholly incorrect. While being told not to play your natural game may well affect him and likely frustrate him, understandably so, it''s really not the reason for his plateauing performances in the last couple of months of 2015.

Personally, I think he''s started to pick up a bit recently, the Man Utd and Villa games come to mind.

Good point from the OP. When Whittaker and Redderz played together we saw Whitts bombing down the line (without a care in the world mind) and Redmond moving in-field with great effect - resulting in a goal like his one in the final.

As others have said, this worked well last year where we were dominating matches but this year is tougher. Hopefully Pinto has a footballing brain compared to Whitts as well as genuine pace to be able to do both jobs (defensively and offensively) compared to Whitts.