Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Naismith stalling, in for Gayle

Why? We''re missing what he has - energetic + pacey. He would fit in a right treat here. And we know he can score in the Premier League. It''s a no-brainer. Haller is a huge punt.

Haller has plenty of potential suitors and we''re unlikely to win an auction. Gayle is a realistic target and is at the right level for us at the moment. His two goals against Liverpool in their title tilt year recently are a good indication of his ability.

He has real pace, something we currently lack up front and I would be happy if he got him for the same as we sold Grabban.

[quote user="Chip20"][quote user="Its Character Forming"]

That would be more reassuring if it wasn''t for the fact that in our last Prem season, we were also rarely in the drop zone... unfortunately one of those moments was at the end of the season.

I don''t think we''re wanting new bodies for the sake of it, instead there are a couple of areas in our squad that could do with strengthening and that''s what I want to happen.  CB especially we are short of cover.  If we sign a previously unheard of foreign player for £15m in that position I''d hope the club have scouted him properly and identified someone who fits the bill, in which case yes I would be jumping for joy.

[/quote] But there would be no point in jumping for joy until the end of the season when we find out whether the £15m foreign player actually did strengthen the squad or turned out to be no better than what we already had.[/quote]

But hindsight is always perfect.  This would be like deciding appointing Adams as permanent manager at the start of last season was the right decision because we ended up getting AN and that meant we ended up winning the playoff final at Wembley.  It''s absurd. 

Truth is that if we signed a foreign CB for £15m that I''ve never heard of, I''d be cautiously optimistic (assuming that when we look into it, he looks to be quality and likely to succeed in the Prem) but that''s me - I''m aware that any player signing is always a gamble, he can get injured coming off the plane and be out for the rest of the season. 

If you want to reserve judgement in this way, you''d have to reserve judgement on pretty much everything until the end of the season or longer.  Like that Chinese guy who was asked about the implications of the French Revolution and said it''s too early to say.

Nicko wrote the following post at 13/01/2016 2:38 PM:

Why? We''re missing what he has - energetic + pacey. He would fit in a right treat here. And we know he can score in the Premier League. It''s a no-brainer. Haller is a huge punt.

-------------------------------

If we get him he would be just a slight upgrade on Grabban. By saying ''we know he can score goals in the Premeir League'' really doesn''t mean much. Didn''t he score 5 last season? Even Hooper scored 6 in a defensive Hughton team, perhaps we should get him starting games here as well?

You are right though when you say Haller is a punt; he''s playing in a pretty poor league, though is in the team of the season (so far). Personally I think its definitely worth a punt. I can''t see him being the next Bony, but if we can get a season out of him like Swansea had with Michu then it''s be worth it.

Whats the point in spending £7-8m on a player like Gayle who we know isn''t quite good enough?

I must say I view Gayle a sideways move rather than an advancement of what we have.. Almost like when we had Jackson last time we were up.

Naismith and his versatility has to be the priority, I''d be extremely disappointed if we went for Gayle as a replacement. Now on the other hand, with the loss of Grabban and if the Naismith deal was to happen I''d have no issue with Gayle coming in, for the right money, though I can''t see him pushing beyond Mbokani or Jerome in the pecking order.

Gayle would be an expensive backwards step , if theres nothing better out there than him we really should just go with what we have , hes not a patch on Hooper even .

Given our style of play with one forward Gayle would be absolutely pointless in my opinion. If we''re going to have him on the bench to come on late and grab a goal then gary hooper is far superior.

Naismith would play behind the forward when wes doesn''t play, or out wide when Howson was used in that position. I think we need a Naismith style of player as well as an out and out striker.

I agree completely with ''The Great Wall of Tettey.

I would also be happy to have Naismith here on loan until the end of the season and why wouldn''t this suit all parties?

You can keep posting links or copy and pasting McNally''s quote but it wasn''t him who said it, it was Alex Neil.

I believe someone has also eluded to this on the other post.

I have to agree, Gayle would not add anything but a big transfer, not one I would like.

I''d rather go with what we have to be honest.

Is Hellar a real prospect or just paper bull?

I think this is the interview with AN you were thinking of Clint:

"Talking to the EDP, Neil says that he hopes the club can be busy right through the window and that he has targets in mind.

"I have made it perfectly clear I want to get our business done early," he said. "We have a plan in place. We have had discussions with the people inside the club who are involved in that process and that is on-going until the window actually opens. Things change on a daily basis.

"It is about getting a sense of where people are and we want as much information as we can to give ourselves the best possible chance of landing players. That doesn`t mean of course that is how it is going to work. It is just my preference. If we get as much done early doors it gives us a longer bedding in period and means we are not scrambling about in the last few days.

"That would be the best scenario. I hope its not the last few days, I hope we are going to be busy right through the window and that we can do a few bits of business early, but you know there will always be ones that must wait until the later stages because the other club needs to get someone in or the player himself does not know where he stands."

With just over a week to go before the January transfer window opens, Neil says that the Canaries are ready and poised to do the best they can but he doesn''t want to give too much away - although a striker and defender or two are certainly areas Norwich will try to strengthen.

"Yes, we have money available and we need to make sure we utilise it and we have targets in place," he said. "I wouldn`t talk about specific positions but we need to add more depth. We need to get bodies in to give us a hand.

"I think one of the things that has made it more difficult for us is we didn`t strengthen the squad as much as we wanted before the season started and hopefully we can put that right, because it makes things easier moving forward.'' "

Everything about the Naismith deal smelled bad imho. Age, price and previous cruciate injuries to both knees. I''m not sure about Gayle, but compared to Naismith it would be a no-brainer if forced to choose between the two.That said, Gayle seems to have his own injury issues and I''m not sure a big money move would be wise. I''d prefer someone more sturdy with a less prolific record to a player who''s regularly breaking down. Andy Carroll is a case in point.

I agree with the comments about Gayle not being an improvement. If we get him in it''ll be a replacement for Grabban and nothing more. I''d like to see us bring in someone who suits ANs system and not just someone to replace Grabban. We''ve still got a couple of weeks and we''re where we are with what we''ve already got. No need to rush or panic just yet

Tonights result or performance will massively change opinions quickly. If we get a positive result v stoke and Muff, then everyone will state we have enough quality to survive.

On the other hand 2 disappointing results or performances and normal slating of the boards failure to invest and little ole Norwich not being able to attract players!

The next 2 games will mould so much for this whole season