Sign in to follow this  
TCCANARY

Getting Business Done Early

No-one said it, so stop using this phrase.

“Matt (Jarvis) is a big signing for us. Our stated aim as always is to improve the squad in every transfer window,” said McNally. “We have brought Matt in on a permanent deal. That is the start. We have been really busy this past week, where we can try to get to a stage we can bring somebody else in, relatively early in the window.

“There is a difference of about five games between the start and the end of the window. We are conscious of that and hopeful we can maybe get another one across the line early on, but there are no guarantees. That depends on buying clubs, selling clubs, agents, players, money. There are a lot of imponderables but that is the intention.”

He said another one which has happened.

Alex Neil certainly said something along those lines , having targets , wanting to get business done early because of important games in January .You can kid yourself all you want but its another complete fuck up by the club , they cannot even get a lad from York signed up .We really should stay a division lower , its where we belong we look so out of our depth every time we get promoted , solution , get owners in that can run a top flight football club and not treat it like a weekend hobby .

How does it feel to lose your ability to read correctly because "it''s January"

I LOVE what this time of year does to people. It''s fascinating!

January is always a crazy month for doing business.  Remember Ryan Bennett was on his way to sign for Swansea on 31st Jan before being told to turn the car around and get to Norwich. Agents and players will want to wait it out for the best deal.There will be plenty of twists and turns yet. Best wait until it''s over before judging. 

[quote user="Buh"]How does it feel to lose your ability to read correctly because "it''s January"

I LOVE what this time of year does to people. It''s fascinating![/quote]

Tell me about it! Some people must have really high blood pressure what with the panic that ensues not even halfway through the window. I may come up with some outlandish suggestions but at least I''m prepared to wait until February before passing judgement on how we''ve performed in the window!

In fairness, AN or DMc did say something about there being 5 games in Jan so they''d prefer to be done early but I can understand why it''s unrealistic to expect.

Why would the club not want to get business done early?

[quote] user="Tettey''s Jig"][quote user="Buh"]How does it feel to lose your ability to read correctly because "it''s January" I LOVE what this time of year does to people. It''s fascinating![/quote] Tell me about it! Some people must have really high blood pressure what with the panic that ensues not even halfway through the window. I may come up with some outlandish suggestions but at least I''m prepared to wait until February before passing judgement on how we''ve performed in the window! In fairness, AN or DMc did say something about there being 5 games in Jan so they''d prefer to be done early but I can understand why it''s unrealistic to expect.[/quote]

You only had to go to the top of the thread and you failed to do that.

[quote user="The Wise Shepherd"]Not being able to sign the kid from York who is not even on a professional contract is beyond humiliation[/quote]

That''s us and all the other clubs who are interested in him then? Humiliating for all?

And you never who will come good. Wolves sell Afobe for £10 - £12m they pay £350000 for his Polish replacement, makes his debut and scores twice

Dear Lord!!. Did I miss the announcement that every other club in the Premier League has completed their transfer window purchases and we are the only ones who have failed to sign all our first-choice targets by now, leaving us a laughing stock?

Could somebody post a link please?

AN is quoted saying that he wants his business done early and that he has plans in place behind the scenes. Unless these quotes are fabricated it looks as if things aren''t going to plan 12 days in. On the other hand, perhaps it is going to plan; perhaps we need to sell (e.g Grabban, Bennett etc) in order to spend a $hitload on the players we have in mind?

Wait and see I guess, but we can''t have a window like the last one.

and that he has a plan in place to make this happen...

I''m just making the pony that its not unreasonable for people to feel a bit anxious. I was very blasé in the last window and look how that turned out, AN himself said he was very disappointed. Having said this, the doom mongers should be called out when they pop up.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]and that he has a plan in place to make this happen... I''m just making the pony that its not unreasonable for people to feel a bit anxious. I was very blasé in the last window and look how that turned out, AN himself said he was very disappointed. Having said this, the doom mongers should be called out when they pop up.[/quote]

Yes, it''s a fair pony to make.

what you want and what you get are 2 different things.

I live in the real world

He may have been disappointed in the last window, but he himself when asked about afoe and signings after the cup match said that, so far, we hadn''t missed out on or been knocked back on any of our targets (though this was before the Naismith news)

We have to be paticent, so often it can also be that we need the selling club to complete their own business before they can fully sanction a move so as not to leave gaps in their squad.

2 completed signings, Getting Matt Jarvis on a permanent shouldn''t be overlooked... If the worst was to happen, we have no secured his services in a league where he would be dominant.

Buh wrote the following post at 13/01/2016 3:00 PM:

what you want and what you get are 2 different things.

I live in the real world

------------------------------

No $hit, but if AN has said he''s got plans in place to get the deals done early like it seems he has, and deals no major incomings happen then in reality you have to expect some people to be disappointed instead of just hound them surely?

January is the hardest window for clubs not only for the inflated prices but also the knock-on effect that one transfer will have; people get that, however some are also frustrated with the transfer activity this season. There has to be an acknowledgement that this is also a reasonable view to have.

Taking the glass as half full, it could be an advantage that we end up doing business late. There are some targets that aren''t available yet that will come into contention.

For example, say Arsenal decide to go buy a winger in the next 2 weeks. People like Joel Campbell become available whwereas now he is too near the first team. Just an example of many possibilities the knock on effects of other transfers could bring.

Also, say we get to deadline day and we have another 7 points pushing us up to 30 pts. The relegation clause won''t mean as much then.

But you are getting frustrated about something that you don''t have any facts on!

Watching you guys, the pant wetter brigade, is like watching a caveman try and use an iPhone. You don''t understand it so you get angry and hit it with a club.

You don''t understand what is happening with reactions, so you beat up McNally and start rumours that delia has some sort of Harry Potter style gringotts bank under the city stand

It''s one of the most basic human reactions, it''s very understandable

"Hulk smash"

I don''t understand the ins and outs of transfer. I''m no reliable sauce, I''m no ITK. I''ve never even met the Conley tea lady and I ACCEPT this.

I follow 3 simple rules to avoid transfer related emotional breakdowns.

Rule 1) everything apart from official confirmation of a signing from the club directly is complete b0llocks - this is such an easy rule to follow and it''s the trap so many fans have fallen into. Read the blatantly fake ITK Twitter accounts, translate an Italian newspaper, take the information on board but the MINITE you start quoting it as gospel, guess what? Your a transfer window basket case. People back away from you at pubs, McNally blocks your email account, dark times.

Rule 2) read between the lines - like I said, take all the aforementioned b0llocks on board. Bathe in it, there''s info on there. Take the reasonable suggestions and make an assessment. Take naismith. here''s 3 pieces of info about that transfer: McNally is holding the purse strings, Martinez is speaking with him about his future, his wife is pregnant. The interesting bit of info to me is that his wife is pregnant. That''s a real piece of info. It''s not hearsay and it could affect the transfer. Search for the REAL, don''t let your imagination run away with you. You are not in devils advocate and McNally is not al Pacino. Calm down.

Rule 3) I don''t care what other clubs are doing - so much angst from over the fence peering. Just let it go. I don''t care who Newcastle are signing. Just focus on us.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]and that he has a plan in place to make this happen...

I''m just making the pony that its not unreasonable for people to feel a bit anxious. I was very blasé in the last window and look how that turned out, AN himself said he was very disappointed. Having said this, the doom mongers should be called out when they pop up.[/quote]
Feel a bit anxious? Oh, the poor dears. Maybe the club should offer counselling to help people over these recurrent difficult periods in their lives.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="mrs miggins"]and that he has a plan in place to make this happen...

I''m just making the pony that its not unreasonable for people to feel a bit anxious. I was very blasé in the last window and look how that turned out, AN himself said he was very disappointed. Having said this, the doom mongers should be called out when they pop up.[/quote]
Feel a bit anxious? Oh, the poor dears. Maybe the club should offer counselling to help people over these recurrent difficult periods in their lives.
[/quote]Maybe the club should be run as a Premiership club and not somebody''s plaything , thought it would all come to an end soon but if the rumours are right the nepthew will be able to keep us down for years to come .

[quote user="Buh"]But you are getting frustrated about something that you don''t have any facts on!

Watching you guys, the pant wetter brigade, is like watching a caveman try and use an iPhone. You don''t understand it so you get angry and hit it with a club.

You don''t understand what is happening with reactions, so you beat up McNally and start rumours that delia has some sort of Harry Potter style gringotts bank under the city stand

It''s one of the most basic human reactions, it''s very understandable

"Hulk smash"

I don''t understand the ins and outs of transfer. I''m no reliable sauce, I''m no ITK. I''ve never even met the Conley tea lady and I ACCEPT this.

I follow 3 simple rules to avoid transfer related emotional breakdowns.

Rule 1) everything apart from official confirmation of a signing from the club directly is complete b0llocks - this is such an easy rule to follow and it''s the trap so many fans have fallen into. Read the blatantly fake ITK Twitter accounts, translate an Italian newspaper, take the information on board but the MINITE you start quoting it as gospel, guess what? Your a transfer window basket case. People back away from you at pubs, McNally blocks your email account, dark times.

Rule 2) read between the lines - like I said, take all the aforementioned b0llocks on board. Bathe in it, there''s info on there. Take the reasonable suggestions and make an assessment. Take naismith. here''s 3 pieces of info about that transfer: McNally is holding the purse strings, Martinez is speaking with him about his future, his wife is pregnant. The interesting bit of info to me is that his wife is pregnant. That''s a real piece of info. It''s not hearsay and it could affect the transfer. Search for the REAL, don''t let your imagination run away with you. You are not in devils advocate and McNally is not al Pacino. Calm down.

Rule 3) I don''t care what other clubs are doing - so much angst from over the fence peering. Just let it go. I don''t care who Newcastle are signing. Just focus on us.[/quote]Absolutely, but I would add one extra rule.Rule 4) As was the key to uncovering Watergate, and many "...gates" since, FOLLOW THE MONEY. It is not the only factor in the transfer market, but understanding the financial background to any deal will usually be a good guide to assessing the likelihood or otherwise of it happening.

westcoastcanary wrote the following post at 13/01/2016 3:44 PM:

-------------------------------------

I''d agree with you had our previous transfer window not gone so poorly. I was a bit like you, mocking anybody who spoke out against the clubs transfer policy in the summer and had me saying things like; ''there''s still two weeks to go, stop wetting your pants''....''there''s still 5 day''s to go''......''there''s still 2 hours to go'' etc.

There were many who were disappointed a week before the summer window ended and they were justifiably anxious. (And when I say ''anxious'' I mean in football terms, not as in "is that a lump down there" but more, "I hope Tesco haven''t run out of BLT sandwiches and then I''ll just have to get chicken and lettuce).

I think the same kind of point also goes to Buh:

I think this is the problem. You muddle the people who may be a little concerned that we haven''t managed to really get anyone new in except Pinto to the very few who seem to be having some sort of emotional breakdown and want to do a ''Hulk Smash.''

This is of course not true in reality and I think people can just about keep it together (*rolls eyes).

Also, why do you have transfer ''rules?'' And do you expect other people to follow them? Rule 1 is just idiots having fun, rule 2 contradicts itself, and rule 3 again is just stopping other people''s enjoyment. I like to see what other clubs are doing, in particular our relegation rivals - I love the fact that Bournemouth have just spent around £8m on Grabban - however of course it may only be a fee of £1.5m as I''m not allowed to look at reports. "Undisclosed fee" is the official line right.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]But Purple. What about the Martha Mitchell effect??

Maybe it IS all true about the pot of gold that Delia''s buried underneath the City Stand???[/quote]You mean CarrowRoadGate, with Joe Ferrari as Deep Throat! Poor old Martha, it wasn''t bad enough to be married to the deeply unpleasant John Mitchell, she found herself not believed about how awful it really was...