Sign in to follow this  
he

Mental Gary O'Neil

Morty, this is not on. That is obviously a "doctored" picture because Lakey has already stated that, "O''Neil''s left foot was pn the ground the whole time as he tried to reach for the ball." Obviously, someone has done some splicing to remove the green grass that clearly has to be directly beneath O''Neil''s left foot.    

o
Morty, this is not on. That is obviously a "doctored" picture because Lakey has already stated that, "O''Neil''s left foot was pn the ground the whole time as he tried to reach for the ball." Obviously, someone has done some splicing to remove the green grass that clearly has to be directly beneath O''Neil''s left foot.     

the most interesting thing is how it has come about that he has apparantly become such an integral part of the midfield.

This was a player who we were bringing on for the last 5 mins of games in the Championship so see out victories, now all of a sudden he''s a first choice midfielder in the premier league?!?

It shows the failings of the likes of Dorrans,Howson or Mulumbu to step up to the mark at this level and hold down a place..........one of them is going to have to over the next 3 games now.....

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]the most interesting thing is how it has come about that he has apparantly become such an integral part of the midfield.

This was a player who we were bringing on for the last 5 mins of games in the Championship so see out victories, now all of a sudden he''s a first choice midfielder in the premier league?!?

It shows the failings of the likes of Dorrans,Howson or Mulumbu to step up to the mark at this level and hold down a place..........one of them is going to have to over the next 3 games now.....[/quote]
Surely the answer to your question about O''Neil starting lies in AN''s more realistic appraisal, following the Newcastle game, of what''s needed in the EPL as opposed to the Championship or Scottish leagues, i.e. two defensive midfielders shielding the back four, one of whom has licence to venture forward as occasion arises while the other covers behind him. Tettey is currently the player with licence to go forward, and O''Neil currently the most capable of the other midfielders to provide the cover. With O''Neil suspended it will be interesting to see who AN picks in his place. You would think Mulumbu would be the natural choice.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]
Morty, this is not on. That is obviously a "doctored" picture because Lakey has already stated that, "O''Neil''s left foot was pn the ground the whole time as he tried to reach for the ball." Obviously, someone has done some splicing to remove the green grass that clearly has to be directly beneath O''Neil''s left foot.    [/quote]
Morty may not have doctored the photo, but he has chosen to post one which is just as scurrilously misleading as far as LDC''s claim is concerned. If you are interested in the truth rather than just ridiculing LDC you might like to look at this one which shows the tackle rather than the aftermath.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]
Morty, this is not on. That is obviously a "doctored" picture because Lakey has already stated that, "O''Neil''s left foot was pn the ground the whole time as he tried to reach for the ball." Obviously, someone has done some splicing to remove the green grass that clearly has to be directly beneath O''Neil''s left foot.    [/quote]
Morty may not have doctored the photo, but he has chosen to post one which is just as scurrilously misleading as far as LDC''s claim is concerned. If you are interested in the truth rather than just ridiculing LDC you might like to look at this one which shows the tackle rather than the aftermath.
[/quote]The two footed tackle, from behind, with studs showing you mean?Whats the point you''re trying to make?As regarding the comment re "red mist" it was the Radio Norfolk commentary team who mentioned it ( and also the BBC website) it was Chris Goreham who pointed out that one of the Stoke midfielders (can''t remember which one) had made a bit of a monkey on Oneil and the red mist descended. Classic rage tackle.

I didn''t realise Archant had predictive advert software, but after Lakey''s "contribution" to this thread I notice the new pop up ads are for Specsavers.

Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

That photo doesn''t help Lakey''s cause whatsoever. It still shows a tackle from behind. Add in a thirty yard sprint and it''s pretty much case closed.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]
[/quote]

Yes.  The usual personal drivel from a few posters only interested in discrediting a poster instead of actually trying to understand what he says.  I never said it wasn''t a bad tackle and was just trying to keep things in perspective.  His left foot was on the ground near the ball as he went for the tackle. That he went through the player in the process is undeniable, but on a slippery pitch, a sliding tackle is a risky one to make and imo showed misjudgement more than malice. 

Went to the game last night and am still fuming at that idiot. Personally I would be tempted to sell him but st the very least a huge fine is in order. I don''t want him starting for us again after his ban is served. You cannot play a player who may possibly do something like that in a crucial game this costing you any chance of taking the points.

Until it happened, whilst Stoke looked dangerous on the break, we were playing well and there was a definite opportunity for us to take a point or three. He chucked that away with the most inexplicable tackle I''ve ever seen.

Our fans who clapped him off down the tunnel want to look at themselves as well.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]the most interesting thing is how it has come about that he has apparantly become such an integral part of the midfield.

It shows the failings of the likes of Dorrans,Howson or Mulumbu to step up to the mark at this level and hold down a place..........one of them is going to have to over the next 3 games now.....[/quote]

Agreed. Dorrans, Mulumbu have both been huge disappointments for me. I dont know if Mulumbu is fully fit or not, but still, disappointing. As for Dorrans, I dont think he is good enough for us, and would not mind seeing him go for even less than what we bought him for.

I did not understand that purchase when we made it either, seemed rather pointless when we already had a similar type in O''Neil.

For me, there is something wrong with the dynamics of our midfield. The player types we got do not fit very well with eachother (i.e not complementing eachother).

Next to Tettey at Def mid we should have a smallish, quick feeted guy, who can pass, to complement Tetteys somewhat slower movements and poorer passing.

Someone similar to Kante, Clasie, Besic, etc.

Neither Dorrans, nor O''Neil is that kind of type, although O''Neil is probably more up to the job than Dorrans is, imho.

We also lack complementary players in central defence. Both Bennett and Bassong are rather slow on the turn, both have a tendency to stand off, and both tend to be ball watching too much. None of them can pass the ball well.

For a team like ours to have two quick, strong defenders at CB is perhaps asking too much, but one of them at least need to have pace and a bit of ballplaying skills, the other can be better at heading, strength, blocking, etc.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3ma7h6_gary-o-neil-red-card-for-appaling-tackle-vs-stoke-city_sport

The challenge ticks all of the boxes for a red card - It''s out of control, it''s ugly and there is a definite scissors motion as he makes the tackle. He also goes right through the man for good measure.

Semantics over whether both feet were off the ground or not; if the ref through they were its fair enough but the fact was he launched himself from a distance meaning there can be no control, with a scissor motion around the legs - that alone makes it a red; add in the facts that he did it right in front of the home bench and for a ball that was already heading out for a throw when it was inevitable that the ref and lino were watching and its incomprehensible.

He has been a great performer this season and his stupidity means we will miss him for 3 and a half games - that is costly. But he remains a key member of the squad.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Semantics over whether both feet were off the ground or not; if the ref through they were its fair enough but the fact was he launched himself from a distance meaning there can be no control, with a scissor motion around the legs - that alone makes it a red; add in the facts that he did it right in front of the home bench and for a ball that was already heading out for a throw when it was inevitable that the ref and lino were watching and its incomprehensible.

He has been a great performer this season and his stupidity means we will miss him for 3 and a half games - that is costly. But he remains a key member of the squad.[/quote]

Not for me he doesn''t. Quite happy to never see him play for us again. In the context of our season three points last night would have been huge and he took away that opportunity with an act that was reckless and mindless at best. Unbelievable from a player of his experience. This is going to be a season of fine margins, we cannot afford to hand games to opponents with such stupidity.

The level of mock outrage on this thread is hysterical (possibly from posters waiting for today''s Daily Mail to arrive). It''s a game, stuff happens, more stuff will happen, and sometimes stuff doesn''t happen, get over it and move on...

Apples

It was without doubt a crazy challenge to make. Nobody except the player can know for sure if there was malice aforethought, but in my experience of playing the game I have to say that if I ever ran as far as 30 yards to make a tackle anywhere on the pitch one thing was absolutely certain, you were going down once I got there. Sometimes it was controlled malice, sometimes uncontrolled s*itness but one way or another you were getting clattered :) As for getting rid of him or not starting him again after his ban, smacks a little of cutting of your nose to spite your face. He''s apologised let''s move on.

Exactly this.

AN recently stated that the next four games were key to shaping NCFC'' season. Well O''Neill has singlehanded lay blown the first three points available.

Bournemouth already had an extra 24hours rest and recovery ahead of Saturday''s game, well O''Neil has ensured that many of Norwich''s team for Saturday have had to work extra hard for upwards of sixty minutes on Wednesday, increasing the disadvantage.

If Norwich were to lose against Bournemouth it will add extra pressure on the next two games.

AN was right to say the next four games were pivotal, and Gary O''Neil''s reckless contribution may yet have a snowball effect.