Sign in to follow this  
Never  Blue

Ben Godfrey - bid rejected

According to their manager we had a nominal bid (thought to be around £30,000) rejected yesterday for Yorks promising 17 year old central midfielder Ben Godfrey. I''ve been saying for a long time that we need to utilise our premiership status in this way. If 1 out of 5 of this type of youngster becomes a first team regular then it''s fantastic business.

Good news if true, we''ve not been doing enough of this kind of business. West Brom, Hull and Cardiff are also rumoured to be interested - [url=http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-brom-eye-ben-godfrey-6864588]http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-brom-eye-ben-godfrey-6864588[/url].

I hate when premier league clubs sign young players like this, when there is no hope or recent tradition of bringing them through to the first team. It does the young player or English game no good whatsoever.

When you look at how the development signings of Louis Thompson and Connor McGrandles have panned out so far thenthen you''d have to say that you''ve got a real point there.

93Vintage, got to disagree that the club aren''t buying young talent from the lower leagues. We bought Conor McGrandles and Louis Thompson last season.

Yellowbeagle... I can understand that theory when it comes to the likes of Man United/City, Chelsea etc but not the so called smaller clubs in the division. I don''t see us signing this type of ''promising talent'' to leave him playing the next 4 years in the reserves and then dump him on his ass if he doesn''t cut the mustard. One can only assume but I would expect that he would be training/travelling with the first team, and that alone would do the lad the world of good and, if he''s good enough, he''ll be a first team regular within a couple of years (possibly after a loan spell somewhere). It makes perfect sense both for the club and the player.

Yellowbeagle wrote the following post at 01/01/2016 8:29 AM:

I hate when premier league clubs sign young players like this, when there is no hope or recent tradition of bringing them through to the first team. It does the young player or English game no good whatsoever.

Disagree, if he comes and proves himself good enough he will be played. I recon we develop young players well here, thanks to the excellent Neal Adams.

There''s very little evidence to suggest that either McGrandles or Thompson have improved that much since they came here.

McGrandles plays under 21 football and is nowhere near the first team. In reality, his development would have been better served remaining at Falkirk and playing football - he''s played about 20 minutes of professional football in 18 months.

Louis Thompson appears to be operating at a very similar level to where he was about 18 months ago. Namely, being one of the stronger players in Swindon''s team. Albeit they are now struggling rather than challenging for the playoffs.

In an ideal world you want to see development players going out on loan and gradually winning loan moves higher up the pyramid. Patrick Bamford being a great example of this. Starting at MK Dons, then Derby, then Middlesbrough and then Crystal Palace. Whilst the Palace move hasn''t worked out for him you can see the progression he''s made in the last 2 years or so.

This isn''t happening with either McGrandles or Thompson.

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]Yellowbeagle wrote the following post at 01/01/2016 8:29 AM:

Disagree, if he comes and proves himself good enough he will be played. I recon we develop young players well here, thanks to the excellent Neal Adams.[/quote]

I don''t think so, if he comes to us he''ll find himself in the youth team or loaned back. He''d be better staying at York and learning the day to day fight for his career in football than comming to us and either being put in the youth team or loaned back but with the safety net of having a parent club. So many young players in this country get their careers stunted by bigger clubs like this.

I''d love to see some youth team players come through, but realistically what benefit to the first team has the youth team provided in recent years apart Rudd? Ultimately that is the point of our youth team not to provide promising young players to other teams. Anyway here''s hoping that Toffolo or Murphy twins are about to buck the trend.

I see quite a bit of York as They are pretty local to me. He''s been played as a holding midfielder most of the games Ive seen. On the odd occasion he has played a bit further forward he has looked better.

I would say it is one for the future rather than anything spectacular that Ive seen him do so far although the side has chopped and changed and not been doing particularly well. Hes 17 quite tall and seems like a decent passer and breaker up. Maybe a little rash in the tackle sometimes. A little like Darel Russel when he started maybe!

I would think it would be the sort of signing similar to the Louis Thompson one where there would be a lot of loaning out before he''d be seen at Carrow Road.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]93Vintage, got to disagree that the club aren''t buying young talent from the lower leagues. We bought Conor McGrandles and Louis Thompson last season.[/quote]I did say the word ''enough''. I think we have more capacity to buy and develop more players up to the age of around 24.[quote user="Jacko"]There''s very little evidence to suggest that either

McGrandles or Thompson have improved that much since they came here.

McGrandles plays under 21 football and is nowhere near the first team.

In reality, his development would have been better served remaining at

Falkirk and playing football - he''s played about 20 minutes of

professional football in 18 months.

Louis Thompson appears to be operating at a very similar level to where

he was about 18 months ago. Namely, being one of the stronger players in

Swindon''s team. Albeit they are now struggling rather than challenging

for the playoffs.

In an ideal world you want to see development players going out on loan

and gradually winning loan moves higher up the pyramid. Patrick Bamford

being a great example of this. Starting at MK Dons, then Derby, then

Middlesbrough and then Crystal Palace. Whilst the Palace move hasn''t

worked out for him you can see the progression he''s made in the last 2

years or so.

This isn''t happening with either McGrandles or Thompson.[/quote]There are challenges when buying and loaning players of their age, McGrandles being 20 and Thompson 21. But bear in mind that some players would be better served by a period of further development in the U21 teams than by going out on loan. Refining technique and tactical awareness is often better achieved at that level than by heading straight into a lower league relegation battle.In general I agree about how the loan system ought to be used, but I''d not worry about the fact that McGrandles hasn''t yet played first team football or been loaned out.

"Norwich are returning for York starlet Ben Godfrey after having an opening bid rejected.

Teenage midfielder Godfrey, 17, has turned down professional terms at the League Two strugglers and is set to go.

Premier

League City’s first offer has been snubbed and a deal could go to

tribunal but Norwich are confident of netting the youngster."

[quote user="Alex "]Local press in Yorkshire saying he''s expected to be signing for us today.[/quote]

Er yay!

Maybe York Canary could give us some first hand insight into Godfrey? I''m sure most of us on here know next to nothing about him - sounds like he''s attracted the attention of a fair few clubs so hopefully he''s one of the future gems we''ve been looking for (should the report be true!).

We should be doing more of this.  Only a fraction of these players are going to make it in the top flight but if you choose carefully then some will turn into gems.  It makes sense to lend them to lower league clubs to get playing time and have time back with us to develop in training etc.

Hope he comes through.

I imagine he''ll be loaned straight back to York or another lower league team, one for the future potentially I suppose and it''s pocket money to our finances.
I won''t hold my breath over seeing him regularly in the first team though...

We really should be putting all our efforts into signing new players that can help with this seasons relegation battle , everything is way to quiet even the rumours have dried up .