Sign in to follow this  
Budgie

Chelsea's Ludicrous Offer

The time is fast approaching when some kind of capping is going to have to be enforced on transfer offers for players.

Chelsea has just offered Barcelona £83m for Ronaldinho - plus the offer to the player himself is a nine-year contract worth £10m a year!

Who on earth can compete with that? The answer is no-one.

With a multi-billionaire at the reins and determined to buy success there appears nothing that can stop him in his quest.

The big-money clubs have already created a mini-league in the Premier Division - with Chelsea''s spending power three leagues look like being created in the future.

Surely the time has come when some kind of control will have to be enforced. But how?

it is stupid, Imo football money is getting out of hand. Especially when there is so much poverty going on in Africa etc but one player like rooney is worth as much as they got from the first live aid

[quote]The time is fast approaching when some kind of capping is going to have to be enforced on transfer offers for players. Chelsea has just offered Barcelona £83m for Ronaldinho - plus the offer to the p...[/quote]

I salute you Budgie.

At last, the real problem in the game comes up.

Yes, I know it sounds like sour grapes, but its now getting bloody silly and a tad obscene (what with Africa etc) No player IMO, is worth more than £7 million at the most.

This money mad attitude of three clubs mostly as you say, has effectively killed off the premiership, as a fair competition.

I can offer no solution I''m afraid.

well, that is stupid and rediculas!

HOw the hell is he worth 83 million? my word i wish i had that much money right now!

- and i thought the bid for shevchenko was too high!

English football is becoming to much of a tycoon, its no longer a sport, more of a buisiness. And its changing for the worse.

Sounds like a bunch of lies.

Where did you read/hear that? I can''t see it on any other football sites.

Well lets just hope that people, clubs and players dont give in to chelsea and their endless bank balance!

But yer 83million! no way, in my view ronaldinho isnt even the best player in the world in his position at the mo! (Gerrard, lampard, much better)

...But yeah, fifa and the f.a, should have a long sit down and really talk about it...and sort something out!...

...its not really even funny anymore!!!...

It may all be rumours that Chelsea are bidding for Ronaldinho, but it is a very realistic bid....the clause for a minimum release fee of about £100m in his Barcelona contract was put in by the previous vice-president of the club in an effort to deter anyone from luring one of the best players in the world away from their club. I think it is highly wrong that any human should be traded for this much, especially when the rumours included a yearly wage of £10m. With Gerrard this week signing a new contract which could be worth up to £100k pw, money in football is beyond an epic boundary of financial greed...a lot of which I would expect footballers to give up for charity. It is all very well for them swanning off in the summer months to visit poor African countries, this is all publicity to be seen to be doing something lifechanging.

I''m writing this in the break of the F1 Grand Prix - another sport where top earners should donate a lot more than they reportedly do.

come on it''s the summer silly season who really belives that price,
mind you almost as funny as that is jp hucks view that gerrard
is better than ronaldinho. mister hundred miles an hour gerrard isn''t even the best
player in liverpool.

Gerrard and Lampard are defo better than ronaldinho!

Do either Gerrard or Lamapard go missing in game(s)!? i dont think so! Ronaldinho does!

although in the papers:
Barcelona have offered Ronaldinho £300,000 a week to stay at the Nou Camp. (Daily Star Sunday)

on the bbc:

Chelsea linked to Ronaldinho move

Ronaldinho is in talks over extending his Barca deal
Chelsea are reportedly poised to make an audacious £83m bid for Barcelona striker Ronaldinho, according to Italian newspaper Corriere dello Sport.
The 25-year-old Brazilian would be given a nine-year contract worth £10m per year as part of the deal.

However, Ronaldinho''s brother Roberto de Assis, who acts as his agent, has rejected talk of any Chelsea offer.

Ronaldinho has three years left on his contract at the Nou Camp and has been negotiating a five-year extension.

Chelsea link to Ronaldino denied

Barca have already installed a £100m buy-out clause in his current deal which is designed to deter any bids for the exciting frontman.

Ronaldinho was rumoured to be unsettled at the Nou Camp following the resignation of former Barca vice-president Sandro Rosell, who quit after a long-running dispute with president Joan Laporta.

But the player is content in Catalonia, and when interviewed last month said: "I can''t see myself living anywhere else.

"My family is very happy here and that was the main thing when I had to choose between Barcelona and Manchester United."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/4667041.stm

[quote]Gerrard and Lampard are defo better than ronaldinho! Do either Gerrard or Lamapard go missing in game(s)!? i dont think so! Ronaldinho does![/quote]

Totally with you there JP - Admittedly, Gerrard has only really emerged in the last season or so as a truly magnificent midfielder, as opposed to a very good one, but anyone who saw the second half of the Champions League Final cannot really argue! Gerrard was truly outstanding that half, and deserves all the plaudits and the "won the game for them" praise.  Without Gerrard, Liverpool wouldn''t have even reached the final! He is truly the engine room of the team, the complete midfielder imo.

And Lampard is better too, imo! Ronaldinho is very good on the ball, was all know this, but what about his work-rate and movement? I''ve not seen much of him this season, other than the Chelsea game, and the Barca-Madrid game towards the end of the season, but neither time could I really see what all the fuss was about!

Would be interesting if we get to play Brazil in the World Cup next year, to see Gerrard and Lampard battle it out against Little Ronald and Cacka... I''d fancy us to edge it, to be honest... bring it on!!!!!!!

Chelsea bidding silly money for Ronaldhino (or for any player) is great news for us.

It''s commonly said on this forum and by those at the club that it should be our ambition to become an established premiership club.

Well there are only 20 places in the premiership. For any team (like us) currently outside the premiership to become established in it, one of the currently established teams has to go down and stay down. Simple arithmetic.

The more insane Chelsea''s transfer budget gets, the more that other, poorer, dumber premiership clubs will overstretch themselves. And the more likely it is that one of them will do a Leeds and create a space in the premiership for us.

So come on Roman, don''t be a penny-pincher, make it £101m and have done with it...

I totally agree with everything that has been said about Chelski''s ridiculous offers. However, I do wonder whether the pursuit of perfection will result in a lack of success - has anyone else wondered why Chelsea want Shaun W-P when they already have Cole, Duff and Robben? Why did they want Gerrard when most football pundits agree that Lampard & Gerrard in the same team would not work? I CAN understand Ronaldinho as he has the ability to turn games with his skill & vision but most successful teams are made up of players with sublime skill alongside players who simply get stuck in and ''do a good job'' for the team. I predict that Chelsea will NOT win the Premiership and that they will struggle in domestic cups. Money does not guarantee success - look at Leeds Utd.

On that note - when can we expect some more players with sublime skill to go with the workers Nigel?

I find the opinion of people on this subject quite perplexing.  Football is a free market - how can anyone cap fees?  That''s like saying that a millionaire shouldn''t be able to buy a speedboat if he wanted one, because it is unfair on people like us who can''t afford it.

If Mourinho feels that Ronaldinho would add to the Chelsea team (he''s the manager, that''s his job), and Roman is happy to pay for it (he''s the owner, that''s his job), then who are we to say anything?  The general consensus on this board is that they will not do very well next season anyway, so, if that is that case, they are making a very expensive mistake, let them get on with it.

Abramovich linked up with Chelsea with the sole ambition of ploughing money into the club and winning things.  How can FIFA then turn round and say "Oh, sorry, we''ve changed the rules and now there are caps on player costings, so Charlton could afford Ronaldinho if they wanted."  You can''t change the rules in the middle of the game.

Even if this did happen, Ronaldinho would still go to Chelsea as they are more of an attractive outfit and can offer bigger wages, so what would a capping achieve anyway?

Much bigger, much more extravagant deals are done every day in the city, but they are not made public in the way football transfers are.  It is just simple business.

Agree splendid rush. Ignoring Chelsea for a minute, how do you think the other clubs pay for their players? Through TV money, sponsorship money and gate receipts. The better a team does the more money it gets, therefore if they get the better players they will make more money.

Sky has thrown so much money at the game, and the champions league is worth so much. So in relative terms the likes of Rooney ARE worth all that money. However in the real world they aren''t, and players wages are disgustingly high. But if their presence enables the team to do better and have a higher income then they are worth it.

83 million notes!! you ought to be able to buy a team capable of winning the premiership, let alone one player. if nigel was handed £83 million you would expect him to be able to assemble a squad good enough to win the fizzy, anyway. if he couldnt, he would have to face the axe. so 83 million for one player is quite simply obscene.

Gerrard better than Ronaldinho???? Hilarious.

This view comes from someone that really believes this ridiculous hype that the premier league is the "best league in the world". Anyone that watches Spanish football will see better skill, better touch, better vision and the world''s greatest players - Ronaldinho and Zidane. Plus loads of diving around, but that''s by the by.

And as far as going missing in games is concerned - how did Gerrard get on in England''s defeat against Portugal? As far as I remember he did less than nothing when it mattered most. And the great goal he scored in the Carling cup final - into his own net. Don''t remember him doing much else when the pressure was on.

He''s a powerhouse with some unbelievable energy and range of shootingpassing, and he could go on to be the best English midfielder but needs to learn to stop hoofing it long and hold possession more often.

[quote]Gerrard better than Ronaldinho???? Hilarious. This view comes from someone that really believes this ridiculous hype that the premier league is the "best league in the world". Anyone that watches Spa...[/quote]

Mook - how often do you watch Spanish football, or is it just on the telly.  How can you beat the passion of the English fans at live games.

The Spanish games gives players so much space they can look good, but give me the hard tackling English game any day.

i would be surprised if chelsea had bid £83 million for him. the £24 million they payed for drogba was a huge slap in the face for them imho. i can''t believe they''ed start by bidding £83 million for ronaldinho.

is he or any other player worth £83 million and £10 million a year? depends how you look at it. whether you like it or not football is now a business. he is a fantastic player and a very saleable assest. beckham pays his own wages, i don''t see ronaldinho having that much power in the marketplace. so i would say no.

how to stop chelsea, arsenal and scum. a cap would be a fantastic idea but would have to be implemented throughout football. our clubs aint gonna agree if barcelona and ac milan ect are still paying huge wages and fees. why should they? it''s not chelseas job to help norwich or leeds win the prem. why should they do anything that would put them at a disadvantage in world football just to help ''smaller'' teams?

all the clubs aint gonna sit down and agree a cap, so that''s a non-starter.

the only other option that i can see is to let the big three go off and start their european super league. how would that impact on club football? no-one can say. personally, i don''t think it would destroy football.

Firstly Gerrard better than Ronaldinho, you are joking.  To say Gerrard doesn''t go missing in a game, well where was he in the first half against AC Milan?  Also you cannot really compare them as they don''t really play in  the same position.  Ronaldinho pretty much plays as a striker.

Secondly, I will agree that players wages and transfers are ludicrous but I don''t really see how any cap could be introduced as it would contravene European laws. 

[quote]Mook - how often do you watch Spanish football, or is it just on the telly. How can you beat the passion of the English fans at live games. The Spanish games gives players so much space they can loo...[/quote]

With two champions league finalist''s in around 12 years the premiership is hardly in a position to describe itself as "Best league in the world". (As opposed to six from Spain, and eight from Italy)

In terms of fan passion it is good, but there are far better. Skill levels are better in other countries too. We are good at intensity and pressuring, and the "pace of the game" (See Thomas Helveg), but it doesnt seem to cut it when we play teams from other leagues.

Want is more scary is that it''s not just Chelsea he owes - hes own Corinthians in Brazil and CSK Moscow as well. Both are being used as feeder clubs for Chelsea he has spend over 40m (an insane amount in the S.America market) at coritnhians already buying up the best Young South american talent he already has Tevez and Mascereno Argentina two hottest properties both  will arrive at Chelsea whenever they qualify for a work permit. The situation is similar at Moscow. It is ruining football and I personally find in quite funny how many big players have snubbed Chelsea and their money.

As for Lampard and Gerrard I distinctly remember both of them being totally outplayed by two portuguese journey men last summer both vastly overrated!  

Oh no, Dicky, you misunderstand me. I think the English game is brilliant and worship every minute of it, but I''m not blinkered enough to believe what the commentators and newspapers force-feed us about our supposedly wonderful players and league. I watch a lot of spanish football, and a lot of Italian football and the game there is mesmerising.

I just sit in awe of the skill, control, organisation and passing movement - this is why the foreign coaches have so much success in our league.

Gerrard steaming down the middle of the pitch, steam blowing from his nostrils, is an awesome sight it''s true. But Ronaldinho has it all and will go down as one of the greatest players ever.

Now Rooney on the other hand - he really could be considered in amongst the world''s greats ...

About the money - In my opinion we have all been badly let down by the FA. They were supposed to stop individuals making money out of football, they even have laws banning the financial floating of football clubs on the stock market. However, they have let the likes of Dein and Edwards bully them around, they have no bite at all anymore and look at the result. How can agents be allowed to make millions out of a transfer, when so many clubs are in financial melt down? How can players be paid £120k per week, when the fans are having to put cash in buckets to save their local club? How can the FA justify the financial gulf between the Premiership and the Championship, making the Premiership almost a closed club these days?

Premiership gates are on the way down, and less people are watching Premiership football on TV (last season). Mid table Premiership clubs can no longer afford to try and compete with the big 3 clubs, so you see extremely dull defensive games and 4-1-4-1 style formations to avoid the financial catastrophe of relegation (can you imagine how dull it must be being a Birmingham fan?). The average age of those at football matches is increasing, as younger people are priced out or just don''t care anymore. The future is not bright.

I can''t blame Abramovich, or Sky - they are operating within the rules of the FA/FIFA and within the rules of a free market. The rot goes back to the removal of the wage cap, and was made much worse by the breakaway of the Premiership (pushed by Edwards and Dein with ITV, voted for by many clubs including NCFC, ensuring that the lower leagues get a much reduced cut of TV money).

The FA and FIFA must do something quickly. Wage and transfer caps should be investigated, and agents must be controlled. But whats the betting we get a European super-league instead.

Sorry for the lengthy rant!