Sign in to follow this  
Web Team - Vince

Swearing - an apology

We''re sorry for any offence caused by the inclusion of the f-word in a message posted by Gazzathegreat (Re: Norwich Management Meeting) - it was overlooked and is now edited out.

It is our policy to remove extreme swear words where unnecessary (certainly in this case) or *** them out if they the are important to the message (e.g. it''s a quote). We can automatically replace swear words when they are posted but we try to keep this list to a minimum. However, we will make sure this variant is now included.

Generally, if you wouldn''t expect to see it in the paper, you shouldn''t see it here. However, we do allow a bit of leeway on the Pink ''Un message board because we know how it is in the stands and we don''t want to be too restrictive.

In the case of the recent ''fat bastard'' chant - we decided to allow it without asterisks because it is at the lower end on the ''likely to cause offence'' scale and also does have a legitimate use. Our papers decided to *** it out but, interestingly, I remember a certain comment by John Major being used without asterisks in the EDP many years ago.

Hopefully we have it about right, but if you have any comments, either leave them here or e-mail me.

Thanks

Vince Yallop
vince.yallop@archant.co.uk

Bang on Vince, I''ve never liked swearing in print, I do try very hard not to do it myself. You can be just as insulting to posters without it, as I and YC and others know!.

Now I''m no prude, but in the confines of my lounge, espeially if a city away game is on TV, well thats a different matter, and pertraitor''s should realise that children, indeed maybe their own children, may be on these boards as well, so take care everyone please.

Thank you Vince. If I had your reponsibility for writing the message on this thread I would have done so in a very similar manner as you have done. Nice to see us on the same side for once Wiz...we may well have other areas of agreement.

Vince, an oversight on my part, one thing I would have changed in your note was naming the person who used the swear word ( perhaps you can use asterisks ). I''m sure this person is very nice in all other respects and, while it is good to have your message posted as a reminder to all, there is nothing to be served by naming the individual. Thank you.

As there had already been a reply referring to the swearing, I would have had to edit that as well...

I swear too - sometimes - but I''m nice in all other respects (he said modestly...)

Vince,
I didnt actually see this swear word on the board but just want to say that in my opinion this situation has been handled very badly.If you dont want swear words on this site then the posts should be more carefully scritunised and these words should not slip thru.Secondly it seems that you have named and shamed a regular poster who has contributed greatly to this board, who now feels that she has probably been banned and will be reluctant to join us anymore!
Everyone gets angry and frustrated with each other on here sometimes and although I personally do not swear,other than in the privacy of my home but I can see how people might be driven to it by some of the posters on this site
If it had been edited out in the first place this thread would have been unnecessary and a really nice person would still be on here with her passion,enthusiam and support of our beloved club.We will miss her believe you me.
P.S. I personally dont need an apology for reading a swear word on this site because we hear them at the football every week .What I would really like is for you to think about the way this has been handled and also think about how the person concerned might be feeling.

cityangel, I agree with you that messages need to be scrutinized and also the person should not have been named on this thread ( as I indicated on an earlier post ). Some message boards, as we know, contain filthy language whereas this message message board maintains a high and appropriate standard which is probably why so many of us like it. The people managing the website, in my opinion, do a very good job of managing the site and are very helpful to all posters as well in being very responsive. Where I separate from your opinion is putting the blame on the website folks for one slip ( compared to the many ****''s i''m sure they do catch ) and appearing to release posters from personal responsibility, particularly for those of us mature enough to know better. This message board is not a football stadium and has a connection to a newspaper. While you personally may not be offended it is better for the site standard to be appropriate for all readers, including young readers as Wizard points out. I hope no poster chooses to leave this great site and that each one of helps keep it as good as it is with respect to appropriate language.

Just to add that I wouldn''t have named on this thread but would have left the swear word now asterisked in the original message. We''re not shamed unless we are "ashamed" later at what we have written and believe me I HAVE been ashamed at some of the things I''ve written in the past.

At the end of the day we have our nicknames anyhow so vicars/teachers/aunts wont know its really us!

There is a place on a football board for asterisked swearing and if you can work out what the word means then you haven''t been corrupted have you?

On the whole thanks Vince and co for usually being very quick in passing our messages.