Sign in to follow this  
jaemae2

Ryan Bennett

What an absolute shocker tonight. He was pathetic all around. Repeatedly beaten for headers at midfield and in the box. Skinned repeatedly at midfield absolutely stranding both Bassong and Martin to desperately and succesfully defend attacks. Then the stunning defending on the Joselu goal. Not much to do on the OG, but that was poor too (granted the ball in was superb). Need a new CB desperately though. This wasn''t the first horror show in the last 10.

Had a good first half but bad second imo. Though Martin was poor as well at RB in the 1st half, though was left isolated time and time again by VOO (who had a good attacking game again)

My perception of the defensive problems tonight routed through Russell Martin, he was out of position throughout most significant attacks by Stoke and that passed on flaws to Bennett.

Obviously playing Stoke away with ten men is also more hopeless than expecting an Ipswich fan to count to 10.

Bennett has been great this season.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Had a good first half but bad second imo. Though Martin was poor as well at RB in the 1st half, though was left isolated time and time again by VOO (who had a good attacking game again)[/quote]

It went downhill as the game went on I agree. Biggest thing is he''s not very agile, if you can maneuver around him he''s basically done. It''s a bit of an issue cuz he tends to be over-aggressive trying to win balls. I won''t complain too much (other than that initial post (hee)). Will say he''s had some very solid games in this span he''s a better 3rd option than Martin for sure. He is suitable, but it would be nice to have a better option. We''ll see.

[quote user="Mooney"]My perception of the defensive problems tonight routed through Russell Martin, he was out of position throughout most significant attacks by Stoke and that passed on flaws to Bennett.

Obviously playing Stoke away with ten men is also more hopeless than expecting an Ipswich fan to count to 10.

Bennett has been great this season.[/quote]

Agreed, Martin was not good today. A lot of the being pulled out of the position was due to Bennett, same other way around on an occasion. Bennet has been the best option to partner with Bassong, wouldn''t say "great" but he''s proven more than capable/capable.

There were bound to be gaps that couldn''t be filled playing with 10, especially when we brought on two wingers with half an hour to go. O''Neil and O''Neil alone must take the blame for tonight, the rest of them battled gamely and the defenders were exposed as a result of the substitutions. Admire AN''s balls to make that switch, and think it''s a bit unfair to castigate the defence when you consider the quality of Stoke''s attack and our continued desire to try and take the game to them.However, I don''t think there''s a single person on this board who doesn''t think we need another centre back. On current form I''d replace Bassong ahead of Bennett, personally.

[quote user="Mooney"]My perception of the defensive problems tonight routed through Russell Martin, he was out of position throughout most significant attacks by Stoke and that passed on flaws to Bennett.

Bennett has been great this season.[/quote]

What a ridiculous thing to say! Of course Ipswich fans can count to 10, they can count all the way up to 12 on their fingers!

[quote user="Feedthewolf"]There were bound to be gaps that couldn''t be filled playing with 10, especially when we brought on two wingers with half an hour to go. O''Neil and O''Neil alone must take the blame for tonight, the rest of them battled gamely and the defenders were exposed as a result of the substitutions. Admire AN''s balls to make that switch, and think it''s a bit unfair to castigate the defence when you consider the quality of Stoke''s attack and our continued desire to try and take the game to them.However, I don''t think there''s a single person on this board who doesn''t think we need another centre back. On current form I''d replace Bassong ahead of Bennett, personally.[/quote]

To each his own. Seen it in the past that when Bassong isn''t on the field this defense goes to s---- no matter the partnership more often than not. As I''ve said before I''m probably the biggest Bassong backer around, I admit he''s not perfect, he''s a bit too overcautious, prone to shutting off. A lot of the disgust towards him is based around the perceived tantrum of relegation year, than performance if you ask me. Again basing that around how much better the defense looks when he plays, than it does when he doesn''t.

Thought he was fairly decent first half - dealt with pretty much everything in the air. I do think Martin had to do a lot of covering for him though, although Stoke very dangerous on the left.

But, I agree, we definitely need one or two CBs as our squad is very short of quality in that area.

Agree with Feedthewolf.

Playing with 10 men away from home, there is always going to be one way traffic.

Those 10 men put on a resolute display and I''m proud of them.

Gary O''Neil massively let the team down and no one else should get the blame but him.

To be fair not his best game, but couldn''t be singled out as we were playing 60 minutes against a spare man.

Had we stayed as we were it would have been a different game and I''m sure both Martin & Bennett would have looked better.

Haven''t seen the game tonight so can''t comment on that performance but Benno was out of sorts against Man City albeit against class opposition. I hope he isn''t having a dip in form at this vital time.So when are we likely to see Pinto then? Will he be thrust into action Saturday?

Certainly agree with you, we do need a proper PL CB, but we''ve all been saying that since when won the Play off final. As you say as well though, hell of a lot better than Martin at CB

[quote user="jaemae2"]To each his own. Seen it in the past that when Bassong isn''t on the field this defense goes to s---- no matter the partnership more often than not. As I''ve said before I''m probably the biggest Bassong backer around, I admit he''s not perfect, he''s a bit too overcautious, prone to shutting off. A lot of the disgust towards him is based around the perceived tantrum of relegation year, than performance if you ask me. Again basing that around how much better the defense looks when he plays, than it does when he doesn''t.[/quote]Nothing to do with relegation year mate, everyone got a clean slate under Neil and he got his place in the team back on merit. He''s definitely got the best pedigree of our (limited!) crop of centre backs, but he is prone to monumental lapses in concentration. He''s technically superior to Bennett, but far from being overcautious, I''d say the opposite - he fancies himself as a bit of a ball-player, and takes too many liberties in possession.One thing I''m sure we can agree on is that whether it''s Bennett or Bassong who gets rested/rotated/dropped (call it what you will), we need competition at centre back and we need it fast!

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="jaemae2"]To each his own. Seen it in the past that when Bassong isn''t on the field this defense goes to s---- no matter the partnership more often than not. As I''ve said before I''m probably the biggest Bassong backer around, I admit he''s not perfect, he''s a bit too overcautious, prone to shutting off. A lot of the disgust towards him is based around the perceived tantrum of relegation year, than performance if you ask me. Again basing that around how much better the defense looks when he plays, than it does when he doesn''t.[/quote]Nothing to do with relegation year mate, everyone got a clean slate under Neil and he got his place in the team back on merit. He''s definitely got the best pedigree of our (limited!) crop of centre backs, but he is prone to monumental lapses in concentration. He''s technically superior to Bennett, but far from being overcautious, I''d say the opposite - he fancies himself as a bit of a ball-player, and takes too many liberties in possession.One thing I''m sure we can agree on is that whether it''s Bennett or Bassong who gets rested/rotated/dropped (call it what you will), we need competition at centre back and we need it fast![/quote]

yes to all of that (the lackadaisical with the ball/fancying himself is over confidence more than aggressiveness if you ask me. Despite the quibble, it''s a problem I agree).

I worry about our defence. I''d worry more if they took Bassong out.

Well I suppose with it looking like Hooper has played his last game for us jaemae had to pick another scape goat to be the target of his vitriol.

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]Well I suppose with it looking like Hooper has played his last game for us jaemae had to pick another scape goat to be the target of his vitriol.

[/quote]

Keep trying, champ. Not even close. You can make a bid for it if you''d like though.

Bennett has been in really good form on the whole since he came into the side - consider how quiet he kept Lukaku; all players are entitled to have the odd off-night, perhaps it was his turn tonight. The defence generally has been performing much better recently, the crucial thing in the game tonight was O''Neil screwing up royally, not anything our defence did or didn''t do.

[quote user="Holtcantshoot"]Personally I blame Martin for the poor defensive display. I didn''t watch or even listen to radio commentary of the game, I just don''t like him.[/quote]

There''s certainly a bit of that goes on. Bennett and Martin both have strengths at CB and both have weaknesses. Neither is the poor player their detractors would have you believe. However there''s no hiding place for weaknesses in the PL and whilst I always hope we can improve all our players the players we bring in will have weaknesses too. And those weaknesses will still be exposed in this league.

"I worry about our defence. I''d worry more if they took Bassong out. "

Precisely GJP.

Bennett has been a huge improvement on Martin, but that does not mean that he is without fault or adequate for what we need in this league. His is a no nonsense robust defender with lapses of concentration, discipline, positional sense and slow to respond. We have seen these in the last couple of games leading to goals conceded.

For me Bassong remains the best CB at the club, and I remain doubtful whether he should be a regular starter at this club, but his performances and positioning are better than Ryans.

Ryan is in the best two options of just two dedicated CBs in teh squad; he has to continue to start and is a reliable good back up for injury etc. But he does need upgrading in the next two weeks

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]"I worry about our defence. I''d worry more if they took Bassong out. "

Precisely GJP.

Bennett has been a huge improvement on Martin, but that does not mean that he is without fault or adequate for what we need in this league. His is a no nonsense robust defender with lapses of concentration, discipline, positional sense and slow to respond. We have seen these in the last couple of games leading to goals conceded.

For me Bassong remains the best CB at the club, and I remain doubtful whether he should be a regular starter at this club, but his performances and positioning are better than Ryans.

Ryan is in the best two options of just two dedicated CBs in teh squad; he has to continue to start and is a reliable good back up for injury etc. But he does need upgrading in the next two weeks[/quote]

BTW ALL of this. As I said above, I am 100% in agreement that Bennett is our second best option and is competent enough. He''s not our best CB, that''s Bassong (who honestly at his best is only a bottom 7 level PL CB, but he''s inarguably good enough and more than competent. He has his issues, but in reality a club like ours would have trouble finding better). Bennet has honestly surprised me with how well he''s played, I know little of Klose but if he can''t beat out Bennett I wouldn''t throw a fit. I''d love him to be able to, but we''ll see.

[quote user="jaemae2"]What an absolute shocker tonight. He was pathetic all around. Repeatedly beaten for headers at midfield and in the box. Skinned repeatedly at midfield absolutely stranding both Bassong and Martin to desperately and succesfully defend attacks. Then the stunning defending on the Joselu goal. Not much to do on the OG, but that was poor too (granted the ball in was superb). Need a new CB desperately though. This wasn''t the first horror show in the last 10.[/quote]You mean the one where Bassong headed it about 8 yards directly on to Walters feet who then tee''d up Joselu?

Bennett has been decent since he''s come back in the team, although he''s been fortunate that it has coincided with a change of tactics Neil has deployed, ie not being so gung ho. If we sign another CB, Bassong would easily be my choice for the drop, been very very poor this year. Felt sorry for Russell Martin playing alongside him because Bassong was constantly out of position so at times Martin was having to mark 2 players (see the Newcastle goals), naturally Martin then got the blame and not a word said against Bassong, despite Bassong not even being in our penalty box!! He isn''t reading the game well any more either or tracking runners, look at the West Brom goal at Carrow Road, he made it too easy for Rondon, although once again, I believe Martin got blamed for that goal for allowing a cross to come in from the right.....

[quote user="ellis206"][quote user="jaemae2"]What an absolute shocker tonight. He was pathetic all around. Repeatedly beaten for headers at midfield and in the box. Skinned repeatedly at midfield absolutely stranding both Bassong and Martin to desperately and succesfully defend attacks. Then the stunning defending on the Joselu goal. Not much to do on the OG, but that was poor too (granted the ball in was superb). Need a new CB desperately though. This wasn''t the first horror show in the last 10.[/quote]You mean the one where Bassong headed it about 8 yards directly on to Walters feet who then tee''d up Joselu?[/quote]

Tip: You may want to get your eyes checked.

(though to be fair, I was semi-harsh on Bennett on that one. You ask me the half-hearted and ridiculously lazy close down was poor as was marking nothing but space, if O''Neal was still on the field he''s probably taking care of top of the box)