Robert Barnes

So what's with Naismith

Just before the transfer window opened in an interview

Said he wanted to get business done early as there were 5 games in January

“Matt (Jarvis) is a big signing for us. Our stated aim as always is

to improve the squad in every transfer window,” said McNally. “We have

brought Matt in on a permanent deal. That is the start. We have been

really busy this past week, where we can try to get to a stage we can

bring somebody else in, relatively early in the window.

“There is

a difference of about five games between the start and the end of the

window. We are conscious of that and hopeful we can maybe get another

one across the line early on, but there are no guarantees. That depends

on buying clubs, selling clubs, agents, players, money. There are a lot

of imponderables but that is the intention.”

It was McNally not AN and he said another one which has happened.

Grefstad at 7:27 pm : -

[quote user="grefstad"] I''m innocent. Got no info of transfer dealings

whatsoever.[/quote]

Grefstad at 7:30pm : -

[quote user="grefstad"]The reason ncfc transfers always go slooow is

McNally''s cheapskate approach to every deal. Steve Bruce mentioned the

embarrassing bidding for Brady, and I can imagine he is likewise in deals,

making very low offers, haggling wage demands to the extreme, etc.[/quote]

So which one''s true Grefs?

Unlike us Bournemouth we don''t have owners who are prepared to splash silly money around everywhere, no doubt they are going to pay Afobe a ridiculous salary to play for them. We can''t/won''t do that and I''m not sure I''d want us to to be honest. If it means we have to wait a little longer to land our targets so be it.

Did Bruce say "The reason ncfc transfers always go slooow is McNally''s cheapskate approach to every deal." Or was that Grefs inside knowledge that he doesn''t have? Or was it actually made up? 

Actually im pretty happy how things have gone this window, it seems different to me than the Summer window. Just get the feeling what Alex said about learning from the summer window has had some effect, but can only guess whats been happening behind the scenes. Reading between the lines, which is never a good thing, seem Naisy is on his way next day or two, but like Pinto, until hes signed on the line and held up the shirt, we can but wait.Purely a guess, but get the feeling  Norwich have identified and are pursuing 1 or 2 more top targets that may involve those positions so many of us have discussed, such as CB. Good chance to they are abroad, meaning  it will be a big struggle, the process of getting a guy from abroad always takes longer. Anybodys guess, but we wait and see. But overall, if by first half of January we would have gotten Jarvis, Pinto and Naisy signed, plus  youmg Diallang J. id say thats good work from our club.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Did Bruce say "The reason ncfc transfers always go slooow is McNally''s cheapskate approach to every deal." Or was that Grefs inside knowledge that he doesn''t have? Or was it actually made up? [/quote]

It was my personal opinion. You know, Nutty, in a fecking forum like this, it is nearly all about opinion. Few, if any, in here have got any inside knowledge of happenings inside Carrow Road offices.

Common perception is that McNally is not an easy guy to make deals with. And I got a feeling many of our "failed" deals has got something to do with him and his (cheapskate) dealings. But that is just my opinion.

The lack of ambition amongst some of the posters is worrying. We have to stay up with the money next year now is the time to be a little more adventurous

[quote user="grefstad"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Did Bruce say "The reason ncfc transfers always go slooow is McNally''s cheapskate approach to every deal." Or was that Grefs inside knowledge that he doesn''t have? Or was it actually made up? [/quote]

It was my personal opinion. You know, Nutty, in a fecking forum like this, it is nearly all about opinion. Few, if any, in here have got any inside knowledge of happenings inside Carrow Road offices.

Common perception is that McNally is not an easy guy to make deals with. And I got a feeling many of our "failed" deals has got something to do with him and his (cheapskate) dealings. But that is just my opinion.[/quote]

It didn''t read like an opinion Gref. It read like a feckin'' know the lot post.

I doubt anyone here has inside knowledge. However opinions have to be weighted against what we know. So if we take the progress of the club since McNally joined. And the way we have managed to sign players that have managed to play 4/5 seasons in the premier league. Your opinion doesn''t really hold water unless McNally has actually been a millstone around the club''s neck and what''s happened is down to the cook and her cohorts in spite of McNally...

[quote user="Essjayess"]Actually im pretty happy how things have gone this window, it seems different to me than the Summer window. Just get the feeling what Alex said about learning from the summer window has had some effect, but can only guess whats been happening behind the scenes. Reading between the lines, which is never a good thing, seem Naisy is on his way next day or two, but like Pinto, until hes signed on the line and held up the shirt, we can but wait.Purely a guess, but get the feeling  Norwich have identified and are pursuing 1 or 2 more top targets that may involve those positions so many of us have discussed, such as CB. Good chance to they are abroad, meaning  it will be a big struggle, the process of getting a guy from abroad always takes longer. Anybodys guess, but we wait and see. But overall, if by first half of January we would have gotten Jarvis, Pinto and Naisy signed, plus  youmg Diallang J. id say thats good work from our club.[/quote]

Lol brilliant.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="grefstad"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Did Bruce say "The reason ncfc transfers always go slooow is McNally''s cheapskate approach to every deal." Or was that Grefs inside knowledge that he doesn''t have? Or was it actually made up? [/quote]

Common perception is that McNally is not an easy guy to make deals with. And I got a feeling many of our "failed" deals has got something to do with him and his (cheapskate) dealings. But that is just my opinion.[/quote]

It didn''t read like an opinion Gref. It read like a feckin'' know the lot post.

I doubt anyone here has inside knowledge. However opinions have to be weighted against what we know. So if we take the progress of the club since McNally joined. And the way we have managed to sign players that have managed to play 4/5 seasons in the premier league. Your opinion doesn''t really hold water unless McNally has actually been a millstone around the club''s neck and what''s happened is down to the cook and her cohorts in spite of McNally...

[/quote]

And starting with the words "common perception is" don''t help. How do you know what common perception is?

Grefstad was going off this article where Bruce is quoted as saying as much as he claimed:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/09/steve-bruce-embarrassing-norwich-hull-robbie-brady

Any negotiations will look like penny pinching when your own approach is to pay 16.5 million pounds for Darren Bent.

Perhaps Bruce is the muppet here.

How exactly do you assess common perception of a Chris executive that lives in Norfolk England when you live in a mysterious northern land ruled over by a majestic ice princess that likes to sing "let it go"?

[quote user="Darth Bor"]Any negotiations will look like penny pinching when your own approach is to pay 16.5 million pounds for Darren Bent.

Perhaps Bruce is the muppet here.[/quote]

Lol true, they did manage to sell him onon for more tho somehow!

[quote user="Dead Canary"]Didn''t we NEED to stay up last time the money went up! We didn''t but we still got back here, don''t buy that as a reason to spend money we don''t have.[/quote]

We just about broke even financially during our championship year, we did very well to keep our best players despite teams coming in for them after relegation and we only just made it up via the trickery that is the play offs. Whilst we shouldn''t spend money we don''t have staying up leaves us in a much better position by a long, long way. Avoiding relegation is a must in a business sense. No money to be made by going back down.

Perhaps they feel they need him this week with lukaku and others carrying knocks while we are pretty well covered and injury free this week? Might make sense.

[quote user="Buh"]How exactly do you assess common perception of a Chris executive that lives in Norfolk England when you live in a mysterious northern land ruled over by a majestic ice princess that likes to sing "let it go"?[/quote]

Don''t read mucvh, do you, Buh? Don''t folow the news, or check around much, eh?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/09/steve-bruce-embarrassing-norwich-hull-robbie-brady

Steve Bruce was in the thick of the action in the Brady saga. He would know, and he also made it public knowledge.

Knowing the hardball style of McNally, it is fair to assume similar things have happened in past dealings, and probably will in future dealings.

Overall McNally has done a fantastic job for us. But my overall feel is that Norwich as a club, due to McNally, are not up to "speed" with regards to transfer prices, value of players, etc.

McNally may be right, he may be wrong, but failure to accept what have been seen by many other clubs as "going rate" have probably lost us quite a few deals.

Just my guess, ofcourse, but I think it is probable.

Sure AJ of course I would rather stay up than not with the club receiving the extra money. However when relegated we were only in a position to keep the majority of the squad together because we had kept tight financial controls in place and that includes not spending on transfer fees and wages beyond our means. That''s also through being tough negotiators and ensuring all players had clauses to reduce their wages written into contracts. Lots want to gamble and spend big money which as a club we just don''t have. If you spend that money and it keeps us up then it''s ok but you still have to balance that spending in future years which has the knock on effect of reducing transfer budgets the season after and maybe after that. If you spend that money and then get relegated then that''s where real difficulties come in as we would have to sell more of the squad to balance the books and reduce our chances of coming straight back up again. The championship is littered with clubs who made that gamble, went down and had to sell to survive before getting stuck there and in some cases even worse. Look at Boro, Bolton, Leeds, Birmingham, Cardiff, Fulham, Wolves, Wigan, Portsmouth and even Ipswich, all teams that gambled financially and are still recovering from it. You could only argue that Boro are recovering and they are doing so by gambling big money again. I would stick with our model because at least if worst comes to worst and it does happen that we go down we give ourselves the best chance of coming straight back up through maintaining our better players.

I don''t see this Jan as a big gamble. We need one CB and Naismith would be a bonus to boost the attacking options. It''s not as though we need half a team. We are not far away from being a decent side and have a little gap to the relegation zone, so we need some judicious strengthening to just make sure we can stay clear and repel and late surges by others. You can bet that other teams around us will do some business, we need to address issues known about since the summer.

we need more goals to make sure we stay up I am pretty sure Naismith would either create or score those for us

problem is 5 games in January are just as important as 5 games in april get the bl00dy deal done !!!

[quote user="norfolkngood"]we need more goals to make sure we stay up I am pretty sure Naismith would either create or score those for us

problem is 5 games in January are just as important as 5 games in april get the bl00dy deal done !!![/quote]

Looks like Willo was right again. Reports now say he is on his way

Well, we all appreciate your perspective Gref.

I''m sure you''d appreciate my perspective on something from your side of the world

Like hunting walrus and using its blubber to heat my log cabin

Buh....since you are already on the derailer trail:

Never underestimate the excellent heat generator that is walrus blubber. Infact, blubber in general. I''m sure you rarely freeze at the Carra, Buh. It''s down to the blubber....

[quote user="grefstad"]Buh....since you are already on the derailer trail:

Never underestimate the excellent heat generator that is walrus blubber. Infact, blubber in general. I''m sure you rarely freeze at the Carra, Buh. It''s down to the blubber....[/quote]

Grefstad - suggest that maybe you take a break from this board and give us all a bit of a break too?

No need to get your 12 pairs of thermal underwear in a twist Gref.

I''m sure that the rescue team will reach you and the rest of the tribe come springtime.

From Rob Butler on Twitter:

"Apparently Naismith to #ncfc is by no means a done deal. There''s some discussion on if he wants to relocate to Norfolk. Hope it gets sorted"

Surely that is one of the first things they should check?