Sign in to follow this  
Robert Barnes

So what's with Naismith

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]**Morty gets into arguement on Pinkun shocker![:O]**[/quote]NBS gets excited about it further shocker.

Anyway, getting back on topic....Swansea seem to be distancing themselves from Naismith now.Not sure I''m that ar$ed anymore, after all the toing and froing. Am much more interested in the Haller deal. I doubt we''d buy both.

Ah bless, you''re losing it Mortimer.  You''ve been arguing with everyone the last few weeks and not doing a very good job of it I hasten to add.  You''re a million miles away from your peak of late night exchanges with Smudger.Carry on though........

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Ah bless, you''re losing it Mortimer.  You''ve been arguing with everyone the last few weeks and not doing a very good job of it I hasten to add.  You''re a million miles away from your peak of late night exchanges with Smudger.Carry on though........[/quote]Bless, you''re a wee bit obsessed, aren''t you?[:D]

I thought the Swansea hierarchy would all be tucked up in bed instead of distancing themselves from Naisy.

Anyway from the South Wales Evening Post:-

The Swansea board may be put off by what is a significant price tag for a player who, given his age, is unlikely to have much resale value.

And that could leave the way clear for Norwich, who have been on Naismith''s trail for some time, to get a deal done.

Canaries boss Alex Neil tried to sign the former Rangers man last summer but saw a £7 million offer turned down.

But Neil remains keen on his fellow Scot and it looks as though he will eventually get his man.

If we got Naismith, Haller and Klose I think we can consider this a pretty foot window.

If we can''t get Klose I hope we at least try to get Vestergaard - destined for great things.

[quote user="Al Harrington"]I thought the Swansea hierarchy would all be tucked up in bed instead of distancing themselves from Naisy.

Anyway from the South Wales Evening Post:-

The Swansea board may be put off by what is a significant price tag for a player who, given his age, is unlikely to have much resale value.

And that could leave the way clear for Norwich, who have been on Naismith''s trail for some time, to get a deal done.

Canaries boss Alex Neil tried to sign the former Rangers man last summer but saw a £7 million offer turned down.

But Neil remains keen on his fellow Scot and it looks as though he will eventually get his man.[/quote]I hope if his wage demands were excessive then we have moved onto other targets.This whole Swansea thing smacks a bit of his agent playing us off against each other.

I was quite keen of Naismith the last transfer window, but he is now knocking on 30 and I''m fairly sure, at 8M, that type of money would stretch further elsewhere. We do need a new striker to boost the numbers, but lets find someone with less miles on the clock.

Saying this, I honestly believe if Redmond, Jarvis and Olsson played week in week out all our current strikers would be scoring more regularly.

Isn''t the point simply that if we want Naismith we have to pay what the rate is in both transfer fees and wages. If we are looking to pinch a player from a club like Everton and take a top level international with a good pedigree we have to accept that will come at a price. Sounds like we want to try to extrapolate our lower level up and coming philosophy to something entirely different, and can''t quite bring ourselves to pay the dosh. It is a market we are not especially familiar with

As to age, I cannot remember how old Mr Holt was when he arrived (29/30?), but his goals and general contribution under Lambert have gained almost mythical status. Sometimes those extra years under the belt have value as well, a wily old fox hunting a young and naïve defender......

Just had a look at the SS Transfer betting, for a bit of fun, and we are not even on the page for Naismith but are have shorter odds to sign Bamford, than Gayle.

Love January

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]Isn''t the point simply that if we want Naismith we have to pay what the rate is in both transfer fees and wages. If we are looking to pinch a player from a club like Everton and take a top level international with a good pedigree we have to accept that will come at a price. Sounds like we want to try to extrapolate our lower level up and coming philosophy to something entirely different, and can''t quite bring ourselves to pay the dosh. It is a market we are not especially familiar with

As to age, I cannot remember how old Mr Holt was when he arrived (29/30?), but his goals and general contribution under Lambert have gained almost mythical status. Sometimes those extra years under the belt have value as well, a wily old fox hunting a young and naïve defender......[/quote]Exactly, the going rate, not "whatever it takes".You''re right, if we want this kind of player then we need to act like we want him, and we just simply aren''t used to such kinds of transfers.I am indifferent about the transfer now, if it happens, it happens, but it doesn''t sound to me like he is exactly busting a gut to come here.

As Alex Neil said nothing, then I expect you are right. Very disappointing if so.

Martinez has there every been a manager who loves the sound of his own voice as much as him !!

talk about over complicating something to make yourself sound better he is the man !!

Not sure there''s any news here. We all know an agreement is in place between Everton and us. We haven''t managed to reach agreement with the player.

Could be Newcastle and Sunderland were interested, but cooled recently - Sunderland have little money to play with so got N''Doye of loan.

Could be there has been an agreement with Norwich in place for a while but Naismith''s injury held it up. Martinez also said ''getting Naismith fit is the priority''.

Very complicated and could realistically be one of 6 or 7 clubs. But wouldn''t rule Norwich out of this yet.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Could be Newcastle and Sunderland were interested, but cooled recently - Sunderland have little money to play with so got N''Doye of loan.

Could be there has been an agreement with Norwich in place for a while but Naismith''s injury held it up. Martinez also said ''getting Naismith fit is the priority''.

Very complicated and could realistically be one of 6 or 7 clubs. But wouldn''t rule Norwich out of this yet.[/quote]Purely from the outside the way I read the situation was this. That there was a deal in place between us and Everton on the price (around £8m). That there was in essence a deal in place with Naismith on wages (it would never have got as far as it did without him being happy with the answer to one of his very first questions).That there was not a cast-iron transfer deal in place because of Naismith''s injury and, possibly, because Martinez (while waiting for him to get fit) was having a rethink on whether the player really was surplus to requirements, given Everton''s poorish form recently.And with the player a serious factor in favour of staying, even though he was roughly happy with our wage offer  - that if he now looked to be back again in Martinez''s plans then why leave, at least now, especially with a pregnant wife to consider? Stay at Goodison Park and reassess in the summer would suddenly seem sensible. It has never looked like the money. It has always looked like Naismith cares much primarily about playing first-team football And his family. And he will decide accordingly.

The (minor) injuries to Naismith and Lukaku have hardly been considered, but could quite easily have been the factor holding all this up. Time will (shortly) tell

(HUGE) If that is the reason for this, then was Haller''s representative''s talk about ''European Football'' a saving face talk, as now we are sure we are getting Naismith, and , now, not requiring Haller? LOVE a good conspiracy.

Time for a lie down me thinks.

From the Liverpool Echo 40 mins ago -

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-agree-deal-sell-steven-10739398