Sign in to follow this  
morty

Charlie Austin

Wages,wages, wages is our biggest problem.We will lose many players due to this as 10 shillings 6 pence just isn''t cutting it nowadays.

[quote user="dibbler"]Wages,wages, wages is our biggest problem.We will lose many players due to this as 10 shillings 6 pence just isn''t cutting it nowadays.[/quote]Sorry, but as much as I would like us to push the boat out, theres no way I''d want him on the sort of money he is likely on.

Well Ronald Koeman obviously sees something in him and isn''t perturbed about his glass patella......So it''s a Southampton snip for 4 million.......

morty wrote the following post at 16/01/2016 12:59 PM:

Anyway, back on topic...

What sort of wages must be on?

80k? 100k?

At £4 million it doesn''t matter as they have saved the money on the transfer fee. Mbokani is on £80k a week for his Kiev contract and we are paying 1/3rd of that

Four and a half year deal.Lets be conservative and say he''s on 80k a week.With the transfer fee that makes the whole deal cost nearly 23 million quid.

[quote user="JF"]morty wrote the following post at 16/01/2016 12:59 PM:

Anyway, back on topic...

What sort of wages must be on?

80k? 100k?

At £4 million it doesn''t matter as they have saved the money on the transfer fee. Mbokani is on £80k a week for his Kiev contract and we are paying 1/3rd of that[/quote]Not sure what your point is here?So we are paying Mbokani 26k a week. Great bit of business that we are only paying a third of his wages!

Was just pointing out that when people have said about his excessive wage demands it''s no more that what Mbokani is earning, and that''s for a player who has showed what he can do at PL level.

If we want to stay at this level and the club want to reap the rewards of the PL money then these are the wages we are going to have to pay.

[quote user="morty"]LOOK, LOOK, ITS LAKEY TRYING TO MAKE A THREAD ALL ABOUT HIM.[/quote]

I made one comment fathead.  And it was about the topic of whining, which if you re-read your op was a big part of your post. "Reported to be signing for Southampton for 4m. On your marks, get set, WHINE!"But I wouldn''t expect you to accept that.......

[quote user="JF"]Was just pointing out that when people have said about his excessive wage demands it''s no more that what Mbokani is earning, and that''s for a player who has showed what he can do at PL level.

If we want to stay at this level and the club want to reap the rewards of the PL money then these are the wages we are going to have to pay.[/quote]Yes, but we''re not paying 80k a week for Mbokani, so really not sure of the point you are making.Yes, I agree that if we want real quality we have to pay for it, but I think Norwich City are a long, long way off from paying 80 or 100k a week.

Oh well as all the other clubs around us buy up the obvious targets no doubt we will pick up another bargain basement from some team in Eastern Europe no one has heard of.

As Austin stated good to join a team with ambition! If AN had any hair left he would be pulling out by now.

Still another transfer window slowly passes by , waiting on a player who cant even decide if he wants us. Still we are in profit so far.

Never has the saying " little Norwich" been more apt.

People need to get in their heads the cost of the entire package.

If the deal is longer than 2 years, it is more likely than not that the transfer fee is way less than the cost of wages.

40k/week is 2 mill per year.

For Austin, I''d imagine he is on 60-70k per week, so his 4.5 yr deal is a package worth around 15-18 mill in wages alone.

We can not afford that, so this player was never likely to come to Norwich anyway.

You genuinely believe £80k is a conservative estimate? I know QPR were throwing money around like it was going out of fashion but in the summer he was apparently asking for wages of around £45k a week.

[quote user="king canary"]You genuinely believe £80k is a conservative estimate? I know QPR were throwing money around like it was going out of fashion but in the summer he was apparently asking for wages of around £45k a week.[/quote]Source?Or are you guessing, much the same as I am?

A combo of this...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3196923/Charlie-Austin-absolute-steal-15m-stuck-QPR.html

And some educated guess work- he was signed in the Championship, had never played in the Prem when he signed that contact, hasn''t renewed his QPR contract and thus would be on top level Championship wages. I know QPR spent a fair whack but I doubt even they were paying someone more than £30-40k in the Championship. I''m then thinking it is pretty unlikely Southampton chose to double his wages.

"Yes, but we''re not paying 80k a week for Mbokani, so really not sure of the point you are making."

The point really is that when Austins name has been previously mentioned his ''excessive'' wage demands has always been bought up. But in the reality of modern day football his wage demands though ridiculous to us are not excessive. It''s just the going rate for a player of his ability.

[quote user="king canary"]A combo of this...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3196923/Charlie-Austin-absolute-steal-15m-stuck-QPR.html

And some educated guess work- he was signed in the Championship, had never played in the Prem when he signed that contact, hasn''t renewed his QPR contract and thus would be on top level Championship wages. I know QPR spent a fair whack but I doubt even they were paying someone more than £30-40k in the Championship. I''m then thinking it is pretty unlikely Southampton chose to double his wages.[/quote]I would have thought last time Austin was in the Prem he wouldn''t be far off 80k, I remember reading Joey Barton was on 70k) and assume that he would be looking for a similar wage level again.But, we''re all just guessing really.

[quote user="JF"]"Yes, but we''re not paying 80k a week for Mbokani, so really not sure of the point you are making."

The point really is that when Austins name has been previously mentioned his ''excessive'' wage demands has always been bought up. But in the reality of modern day football his wage demands though ridiculous to us are not excessive. It''s just the going rate for a player of his ability.[/quote]Only time will tell if he is worth the ( guessed) 80k a week.Personally, for me, he isn''t. But I take your point.

Assuming we have a wage ceiling of, let''s say 50k, I don''t think many, if any, in the current Norwich squad is on more than 40k.

There is no standout player either, so I guess it is all "equal and homogenous".

Such a strategy has it''s good sides (togetherness, team spirit, etc), but we will be less likely to attract the type of players that will improve us as a team (marquee signings).

I''m sure Austin will repay his fee and wages and The Saints will retain their Premiership status......Not bad for a club that went into administration in 2009......and are now owned by ''Furriners an'' Outsiders''......

Anyway, we''ll maybe continue the Smith and Jones Dynasty with the appointment of nephew Tom in the footure standing steadfast at the helm. From absolutely nowhere, he''ll become the club''s vastly experienced in all things business and a rising respected football entrepreneur (he''s being groomed y''know for that position, Tilly sez). Coupled with our successful ex Chancellor (no receipts, flippety flip) Ed the Ball as Chairman - and DM "Do you fuggin want some!" continuing as our CEO......

"Onwards an'' Upwards!"......"Prudence with Ambition!"......Yup...... We''re currently looking for players who don''t mind being paid minimum wage and who''s partners aren''t preggers - and will like Yarmuff and the East coast "OOH lookah the turbines!"......Oh, and don''t mind swerving around random sugar beet on the A47......Yup....Soireeee!

[quote user="Mello Yello"]I''m sure Austin will repay his fee and wages and The Saints will retain their Premiership status......Not bad for a club that went into administration in 2009......and are now owned by ''Furriners an'' Outsiders''......

Anyway, we''ll maybe continue the Smith and Jones Dynasty with the appointment of nephew Tom in the footure standing steadfast at the helm. From absolutely nowhere, he''ll become the club''s vastly experienced in all things business and a rising respected football entrepreneur (he''s being groomed y''know for that position, Tilly sez). Coupled with our successful ex Chancellor (no receipts, flippety flip) Ed the Ball as Chairman - and DM "Do you fuggin want some!" continuing as our CEO......

"Onwards an'' Upwards!"......"Prudence with Ambition!"......Yup...... We''re currently looking for players who don''t mind being paid minimum wage and who''s partners aren''t preggers - and will like Yarmuff and the East coast "OOH lookah the turbines!"......Oh, and don''t mind swerving around random sugar beet on the A47......Yup....Soireeee![/quote]Daytime drinking?

Is there something wrong with our setup. We went for Afobe in Summer for £12m, six months later he goes to Bournemouth (in transfer silly season) fro only £8m.

Whether we were ever in for Austin, he QPR wanted £12m in summer and he goes to Southampton for £4m.

That''s a steal! Pinto will hopefully prove a steal, but are our scouts looking for wrong targets (if they ever secure them)?

[quote user="Samwam27"]Is there something wrong with our setup. We went for Afobe in Summer for £12m, six months later he goes to Bournemouth (in transfer silly season) fro only £8m.

Whether we were ever in for Austin, he QPR wanted £12m in summer and he goes to Southampton for £4m.

That''s a steal! Pinto will hopefully prove a steal, but are our scouts looking for wrong targets (if they ever secure them)?[/quote]No mystery here, both players let their contracts wind down, meaning that the club could command less of a fee.And the players could, in turn, demand higher wages.The actual total price to the buying club probably doesn''t vary too much.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Mello Yello"]I''m sure Austin will repay his fee and wages and The Saints will retain their Premiership status......Not bad for a club that went into administration in 2009......and are now owned by ''Furriners an'' Outsiders''...... Anyway, we''ll maybe continue the Smith and Jones Dynasty with the appointment of nephew Tom in the footure standing steadfast at the helm. From absolutely nowhere, he''ll become the club''s vastly experienced in all things business and a rising respected football entrepreneur (he''s being groomed y''know for that position, Tilly sez). Coupled with our successful ex Chancellor (no receipts, flippety flip) Ed the Ball as Chairman - and DM "Do you fuggin want some!" continuing as our CEO...... "Onwards an'' Upwards!"......"Prudence with Ambition!"......Yup...... We''re currently looking for players who don''t mind being paid minimum wage and who''s partners aren''t preggers - and will like Yarmuff and the East coast "OOH lookah the turbines!"......Oh, and don''t mind swerving around random sugar beet on the A47......Yup....Soireeee![/quote]

Daytime drinking?
[/quote]

No

[quote user="Mello Yello"]Well Ronald Koeman obviously sees something in him and isn''t perturbed about his glass patella......So it''s a Southampton snip for 4 million.......[/quote]Certainly a snip for £4mWon''t seem such a snip if he''s trousering around £4m a year while lying around in the treatment room.A gamble which is way out of our league.

he might cost approx. 18 mil over the 4.5 years but if you say staying in the prem is worth at least 80 mil at year x that by 4.5 is 360 mil the club would earn if you had a stand out striker to score the goals to keep you up for the 4.5 years

I wouldn''t say Austin would be that man as his knees might not last 4.5 years but if you could find that striker well worth the wages

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Mello Yello"]Well Ronald Koeman obviously sees something in him and isn''t perturbed about his glass patella......So it''s a Southampton snip for 4 million.......[/quote]

Certainly a snip for £4m

Won''t seem such a snip if he''s trousering around £4m a year while lying around in the treatment room.

A gamble which is way out of our league.
[/quote]

Signing anyone of quality or average ability is a gamble in football......You can sign a top striker who damages cruciate ligaments in the first competitive game and is out for months......It''s a game of chance.......We signed RVW......and he''s on loan - but still our player.....Not on the treatment table, but regularly on their bench......"Yer takes yer chances"..... 

You can sign a top striker who damages cruciate ligaments in the first competitive game and is out for months

very true but insurance would pay out for that I would image I might be hard to insure Austins knees

pity there is not a insurance for plays turning out carp like RVW

Something fairly high I imagine, not like Southampton can''t afford it now

[quote user="norfolkngood"]he might cost approx. 18 mil over the 4.5 years but if you say staying in the prem is worth at least 80 mil at year x that by 4.5 is 360 mil the club would earn if you had a stand out striker to score the goals to keep you up for the 4.5 years

I wouldn''t say Austin would be that man as his knees might not last 4.5 years but if you could find that striker well worth the wages[/quote]
I''m not saying Austin isn''t a good player, or that his goals wouldn''t help... but to argue that signing him guarantees your Prem status for 4.5 years is silly. There''s a persistent rumour about his knees for his start - there must be a reason nobody else has come in for him. By the end of that 4.5 years he would be 31/32 - are you arguing that there is no risk of his play declining by that age?
And finally, despite having Charlie Austin bang in form, QPR still went down last year. Not exactly an iron-clad guarantee of survival you can base financial projections off imo.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Mello Yello"]Well Ronald Koeman obviously sees something in him and isn''t perturbed about his glass patella......So it''s a Southampton snip for 4 million.......[/quote]Certainly a snip for £4mWon''t seem such a snip if he''s trousering around £4m a year while lying around in the treatment room.A gamble which is way out of our league.[/quote]

Signing anyone of quality or average ability is a gamble in football......You can sign a top striker who damages cruciate ligaments in the first competitive game and is out for months......It''s a game of chance.......We signed RVW......and he''s on loan - but still our player.....Not on the treatment table, but regularly on their bench......"Yer takes yer chances"..... 

[/quote]Can''t argue that taking on players in football is a gamble. Just ask Bournemouth. Bit like life really.Difference here is Austin''s decidedly dodgy fitness record. I can''t recall him being out for months and months but he is a bit of a sicknote.Don''t know if insurance kicks in at a certain point but it''s probably a bit like Joe Public''s income protection schemes that cost far less if you delay claiming. A player would need to be out for a considerable period of time with a serious problem to make a claim worthwhile.