Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

The new director...........

PurpleCanary wrote the following post at 10/01/2016 12:03 PM:

93vintage wrote:

I''d be happier if someone who had run a business became involved to give a bit more of a mix to those that are there already. Atm we have 2 media people (publishing), someone from the rag trade, a poultry producer, a retired tv cook and an actor/comedian.

Plus we could do with at least one football person to give formal input at board meetings. Norwich City is after all a football club.

I don''t recognise those descriptions (and not just baffled by whoever it is we have from the clothing industry). We have three people (Smith, Jones and Foulger) with getting close to a combined half-century of running (generally successfully) a football club under difficult circumstances, we have a retired businessman (Phillips), we have a professional chief executive, a chairman with a heavy-hitting background in economics (increasingly important as the Premier League continues to evolve financially) and one media figure (Fry).

Purple when will you stop spouting this rediculouse rhetoric - It makes you sound like an idiot (which I am sure you are not) and is absolutely hilarious

I recognise what Vintage is saying and so do you - BUT you will not have anyone make a negative comment about the current owners will you ?

Lets analyse your description of the 3 of the Board Members - in laymen''s terms:-

Phillips is not on the Board because he is a retired businessman as you well know. He is on the Board to make up the voting numbers in Delia''s favour - he is currently the CEO of Delia Ltd

Fry is on the Board to support voting numbers in Delia''s favour (we both know he does not attend meetings and give his proxy vote to Delia

With these 2 votes D & M have control over all Board decisions ( they control 4 of the 7 votes)

If I can just move on to your buddy - Balls. Cant really see what he brings to the party - but to claim that we have a '' a chairman with a heavy-hitting background in economics (increasingly important as the Premier League continues to evolve financially)'' is a scream - Name one other football club that has a failed politician on its Board let alone appointing them to key post of Chairman

These 3 would not justify a place on any football board unless they had strong connections to the majority shareholder - as in our case

Yes Purple - the club I love is a laughing stock -good attempt at a cover up, but you failed to pull the wool over my eyes - Carry on tho I find it very entertaining

[quote user="Gunthorpe"]Yes Purple - the club I love is a laughing stock.....[/quote]There are seventy seven clubs below us in the league so who exactly is laughing at us Newton?

It doesn''t matter who is on the Board, the majority shareholders will always have the ultimate say and can just call an EGM if they need to get something through anyway.

In these circumstances the Board is there to set the policy of the Company and establish responsibilities. Chairmen usually move on either because they''ve had enough or because something happens they don''t agree with or because they fail to implement the agreed strategy well enough.

Directors join because there is a perceived skill shortage in a particular area or for succession planning.

This is just standard family company stuff - nothing sinister in my opinion.

What will Delia and Michael do with thier shares?

That question was easy for me. Mine would obviously pass on to my children. But then in 2014 I got to thinking about how as I''m planning to stick around into an old age I won''t be leaving them to anybody any time soon. So I decided to pass the majority of them on then. I did think about other City fans. Especially those on this forum who maybe didn''t had different ideas to me and would want to see the club go in a different direction to the way I like it. I was sorely tempted to offer them to a couple of complete strangers but in the end nepotism became the order of the day. So now my children own two thirds of my shares.

What would you guys have done?

I live and work in greater London and encounter supporters of dozens of other sides all the time - one thing we are definitely not is a ''laughing stock'', only some of our ''supporters'' seem to think otherwise.

This thing about the club being a "laughing stock" amongst other clubs-where does that come from?

We''re not. The supporters of the other 91 league clubs have much more important things to think, care, be bothered about or comment than what might or might not be happening at Norwich City.

It''s a nice thing to lob into the conversation or argument to ramp up the self pity and self induced rage but it isn''t true at all.

I was talking to a Man Citeh fan yesterday. We certainly weren''t a laughing stock in his eyes. But he told me that if we didn''t get a sheikh like them then we''d be left behind. He was a really nice guy and genuinely seemed to want other clubs to have what they have with their Sheikh. What he didn''t seem to get was that if we all had a Sheikh like them nobody would get left behind and Citeh could get relegated. Looking forward, if there are a string of Sheikhs looking for Premier League clubs, where would we be in the pecking order?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I was talking to a Man Citeh fan yesterday. We certainly weren''t a laughing stock in his eyes. But he told me that if we didn''t get a sheikh like them then we''d be left behind. He was a really nice guy and genuinely seemed to want other clubs to have what they have with their Sheikh. What he didn''t seem to get was that if we all had a Sheikh like them nobody would get left behind and Citeh could get relegated. Looking forward, if there are a string of Sheikhs looking for Premier League clubs, where would we be in the pecking order?

[/quote]Nutty, I don''t know whether this was what your Man City fan was referring to, but there is a change going on in the Premier League, because of the increased TV money and new investors, so that some clubs of our size can now outbid continental giants of the game for top-class players. There is an argument that our current financial model is becomg outdated and a danger we will get left behind. What a possible alternative financial model might be is altogether another question.But the question I really want answered (Gunthorpe singularly failed) is who is this director we have who 93vintage says is in the rag trade. Is it Reg Varney, or perhaps Miriam Karlin? Babs Windsor even?

Purple, perhaps 93 was referring to McNally who, in his earlier career worked for Nike and I think another sportswear company. Could this be the tenous link?

Indeed Purple. But those clubs, even if we are one, will still be left behind Citeh unless we can get a Sheikh like theirs. Their Sheikh not only invests in the football team but also in the community to great effct. He is in partnership with Manchester Council in building new homes. I believe their Sheikh also funded a school and a metro link.

It does seem that Manchester City''s investment model will leave the likes of United and Liverpool behind. Let alone us.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"] But the question I really want answered (Gunthorpe singularly failed) is who is this director we have who 93vintage says is in the rag trade. Is it Reg Varney, or perhaps Miriam Karlin? Babs Windsor even?[/quote]I heard Mike Ashley''s getting a bit p*ssed off with all the flak at St James''s Park.....[;)]

[quote user="Herman "]Stephan Phillips was in the ''local rag'' trade if that is any help Purple??[/quote]Thanks, Herman, but 93vintage lists Phillips and MWJ as the two media folk, leaving the rag trade director still a mystery. Ron Manager''s idea that it is a reference to McNally having been in sportswear a very long time ago is a bit more plausible.  Ron is kind when he says that is tenuous. To talk dismissively, as 93vintage does, about McNally as someone from the rag trade when he has been a top football executive/CEO/director now for a decade and a half is really very silly.---I may send you an unrelated PM.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Thanks, Herman, but 93vintage lists Phillips and MWJ as the two media folk, leaving the rag trade director still a mystery. Ron Manager''s idea that it is a reference to McNally having been in sportswear a very long time ago is a bit more plausible.  Ron is kind when he says that is tenuous. To talk dismissively, as 93vintage does, about McNally as someone from the rag trade when he has been a top football executive/CEO/director now for a decade and a half is really very silly.[/quote]I think you''re reading too much into what I wrote, I wasn''t being dismissive of McNally. In fact if you''ve read my posts of late I''ve been quite positive towards him.There''s nothing wrong with working in the rag trade (iirc he was a director at Courtaulds), and I think it''s a tad snobbish to regard that as an insult.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]The nephew[/quote]if true then I wonder what business accumen, financial backing, and contacts he has...if any..

Maybe Delia will donate her and hubby''s shares to Jez Corbyn and the Labour Party - and let them run the club as a side-line?

[quote user="Mello Yello"]Back on thread......Any idea who the new he/she NCFC Director may be?[/quote]

A he/she, mmmm that will please the rainbow contingent

If you read this Nutty as i am posting from Lanzarote remember i told you several weeks ago that Delia''s 23 year old nephew Tom was being groomed to take over when she steps down.