Sign in to follow this  
mrs miggins

So, the January transfer window...

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Who would people prefer out of Seb Haller and Afobe?

Also saw that Naismith has said he wants to stay and fight for his place at Everton so perhaps he won''t move?[/quote]

Both are around the same age, both have scored around 30+ goals in 2015, maybe Haller would be just slightly less expensive to buy in. Hard call as we are talking of two guys yet unproven in the Prem. To be honest ive had enough of the long running Norwich are after Afobe saga, on that basis alone id prefer Haller, so thats all i can say.

[quote user="Essjayess"][quote user="mrs miggins"]Who would people prefer out of Seb Haller and Afobe?

Also saw that Naismith has said he wants to stay and fight for his place at Everton so perhaps he won''t move?[/quote]

Both are around the same age, both have scored around 30+ goals in 2015, maybe Haller would be just slightly less expensive to buy in. Hard call as we are talking of two guys yet unproven in the Prem. To be honest ive had enough of the long running Norwich are after Afobe saga, on that basis alone id prefer Haller, so thats all i can say.[/quote]

As Hoops, and Laffs clearly appear forgotten men now we may as well cash in on them (& Bennett who frankly isn''t going to play for us again at this level). Would like to see Grabban go, so why can''t we go for both!

Plus defense needs strengthening.

Forgot to say I''d offer Grabban to Wolves in part exchange for Afobe. They get proven goalscorer in Championship, and we don''t sell to a rival. Else use Hoops or Laffs as part of the deal.

In summer Wolves quoted they were building a team to challenge around Afobe. He''s not been automatic choice this season and they''re having a poor one.

Mr Jenkins wrote the following post at 24/12/2015 6:59 PM:

That''s bad news about Naismith, most seemed to think it was a done deal, as did I.

----------------------------

Looks like it''s back on (if it was ever off?)

Don''t like all these reports and rumours, they get my hopes up; we can''t be signing Mandanda, Pinto, Ranocchia, Kone, Naismith, Haller and Afobe all in the space of 4 weeks. If we could get at least 3 of them I''d be satisfied, get 4 and job done!

So to summarise ,,, we have signed an injured player we already had ,,, not signing the player who the media said had already signed ,,, and connected with rather a lot of foreigners who invariably no nothing of our interest ,, surprise suprise the foreign press make things up too !

Same as usual in a window ,,, sit biting our collective lips for. Month ,,, oh and DM goes public with " we aren''t going to be ( reckless " 😳😳😳😳

There are a lot of rumours which suggest we are trying to strengthen the squad. My main concern is to get real competition and cover for the centre backs. If we can strengthen there it may allow the midfield and attack to play more positively when the opportunity comes. It can be argued that we have some cover at RCB with Martin and Wisdom (though that may not be really a very good option) but we do not seem to have someone who is able to play on the left side as decent cover for Bassong. It worries me if either or both CBs pick up a long term injury or red card. I''m sure Alex Neil will have identified defensive reinforcements but it is McNally that will do the negotiations re price, wages etc. I''m still confident we shall do business in this transfer window but I hope we dont start playing games with the negotiations and lose out on our primary targets. I hope we can do better than the summer poker playing and get the required players early enough to be able to make a real difference while there are still plenty of games to play - particularly in defence.  I trust AN and hope that the recruitment team can support him and give the lads a hand with the right reinforcements. here''s hoping! 

Napoli CB Koulibaly today states that we had a bid of 15m euros turned down for him in the summer. Shame, that would''ve been such a great signing.

Hopefully we''ll get one across the line by the end of the week. Pinto probably.

Ya miggsy i remember in the summer we were  constantly  linked with Koulibaly and also ofc NKoulou who Alex went to see at Marseille . Koulibaly has become a fixture in the Napoli side so that clubs top brass seem right in turning us down in the Summer. From what i can glean NKoulou is still at Marseille, his contract ends in Summer and is available at the right price, suitably inflated for January of course.Why the heck we havent gone after this guy i do not know, but hes just a class act. But this is NCFC, and this club signing a CB is becoming as mythical as the legendary Phoenix, just my personal opinion of course ;D

Rumours were at the time we paid £3m for Grabban. If we can get double that then that a decent piece of business that will pay for the Naismith transfer. We will hopefully sell Hooper as he''s not going to get a look in, that could be another £3m-£3.5m as well as Laffs for £800k-£1m (perhaps even more?). Bennett has also moved to Blackburn; I''d imagine we got around £700k for that.

Altogether that would be around £11m on players that we aren''t using.

We''ve got Pinto in for just over £2m. Now we still need to spend some serious money on a CB and a striker at least as well as the Naismith signing which I''d imagine would be £6m-8m.

Along with these players likely to be sold we have the incoming PL money obviously, so there''s no reason why we shouldn''t be looking to spend as much as the likes of Bournemouth are this window.

"Along with these players likely to be sold we have the incoming PL money obviously, so there''s no reason why we shouldn''t be looking to spend as much as the likes of Bournemouth are this window. "

At least as much.

We have to get this one right.

I don''t think it is the fees holding Norwich back from signings, more likely the massive wage demands players now make when signing for Premier League clubs.

Villa agreed to pay Adama Traore £75k a week just to get him to sign. There is no way Norwich are going to compete with that. Also, many clubs are so desperate to stay in the Premier League they forego any ''relegation clauses'' - Fulham certainly went down with one player on such a clause - this is a massive factor when it comes to convincing a player to sign.

Norwich need to avoid the cash-fights clubs are getting into and shop smarter. Ivo Pinto is a great example of this, a highly rated player available for a small fee (and probably relatively low wages).

Ignore the fees numbers being batted about - the top ''potential'' fee is almost never reached as there are so many clauses around appearances, goals, awards, trophies.

I''ll also add that due to ''loyaty fees'' large amounts of the money received when selling a player goes straight back to the player.

Bethnal is right, to many on this forum still try to compare City with Bournemouth and many other Prem. clubs. It cannot work that way, Muff have huge assetts behind them these days just as the big clubs do, they dont  need to rely on just the Sky money...City do...so stop looking at what other clubs  spend on players and  and just let City buy guys and pay them wages that our club can afford..nobody wants us back  into the days of  just 6 or 7 seasons ago.

It''s difficult for a club like us in that respect. Do we spend £20m on 2 players with huge wages who may keep us up or be a complete flop (e.g. RVW) or do we buy 8-10 players each worth £2m and hope a few of them turn good.

Like most things, the right answer is probably somewhere in the middle. We''ve got quite a few RB''s at the club; Whitts is out of contract soon and will be going and Wisdom is on loan - so this is a smart move as we can evaluate how good Pinto is at the end of the season and sign a better RB in the summer if need be.

However, when it comes to key positions that we need e.g striker and CB, surely you need to fork out the money for the quality players the manager wants. Koulibaly is an example of this.

Scouting is the most important thing, Norwich aren''t really known for our scouting network unfortunately.

[quote user="Essjayess"]Bethnal is right, to many on this forum still try to compare City with Bournemouth and many other Prem. clubs. It cannot work that way, Muff have huge assetts behind them these days just as the big clubs do, they dont  need to rely on just the Sky money...City do...so stop looking at what other clubs  spend on players and  and just let City buy guys and pay them wages that our club can afford..nobody wants us back  into the days of  just 6 or 7 seasons ago.[/quote]

Bournemouth aren''t actually spending that much money - certainly no more than Norwich could afford to. They came into the League with a much lower wage bill (despite breaking FFP rules) and now with Premier League cash the 2 clubs have similarish budgets - meaning Bournemouth had a lot more room for growth.

When Norwich were promoted to the Prem they came with a largely Premier League squad, and a Premier League wage bill - additions were always going to been limited without remove players. Mulumbu, Mbokani and Brady would have all been significant increases to the wage budget themselves - I doubt less than Gradel, Mings, Afobe and Murray have been to Bournemouth.

Hopefully the club can get the hefty wage bill of Hooper off the books to give some more room to negotiate - but the need to cover wages will stifle the ability to fork out large fees.

Essjayess wrote the following post at 11/01/2016 4:06 PM:

Bethnal is right, to many on this forum still try to compare City with Bournemouth and many other Prem. clubs. It cannot work that way, Muff have huge assetts behind them these days just as the big clubs do, they dont need to rely on just the Sky money...City do...so stop looking at what other clubs spend on players and and just let City buy guys and pay them wages that our club can afford..nobody wants us back into the days of just 6 or 7 seasons ago.

-----------------------------

I shall continue to look at what our rivals do as personally I find it interesting. I made a terrible judgement at the start of the season that Watford would really struggle having bought so many players in and getting so many going out, yet they''ve been fantastic. Although they''ve spent a lot of money, they weren''t all for big bucks unlike Bournemouth''s transfer business (who''ve all got injured - another thing to think about when spending big on a player).

Of course we''ve got to keep to our budget and concentrate on our finances, as you say we haven''t got owners like Bournemouth have, but lets not get into the ''little norwich mentality.'' The summer business was terrible, and as fans we should criticise the club if we have another window like that again. (though I would also like to note that I''m not criticising the business in this window, it''s only been 11 days and am looking forward to seeing who we get).

If latest rumours of £8m!!!! for Grabban are true then Bournemouth will have spent £18m on two strikers this window, plus the Iturbe loan

Plus:

Murray - £5m

Gradel - £7m

King - £1m

Mings - £8m

Tomlin - £3m!!

= £24m plus free transfers of Boruc, Distin, Federici

And without selling any players for a fee.

Thats £42m at the very least.

Say don''t compare us to them, but with the amount of players we could be selling (Grabban Hooper Laffs) and the players we have sold; Johnson (£6m) and Bennett (£600k). We should be expecting either a lot of players or a few real quality players.

Looking at the headline transfer fees is a very inaccurate way of working out a clubs spending. There is no chance Bournemouth paid all those fees up front - I would expect nearly all of them have a certain amount that will only be paid if they survive - which giving account of the mega deal coming next season is entirely sensible.

Wages, not fees, are the area clubs really get themselves into trouble and I would expect Bournemouth still have one of the smallest budgets in the league.

Lol, yeah alright.

I wouldn''t worry about it anyway Bournemouth

It''s not as if there''s precedence for a small south coast club to be bankrolled and for it to all go horribly wrong.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Looking at the headline transfer fees is a very inaccurate way of working out a clubs spending. There is no chance Bournemouth paid all those fees up front - I would expect nearly all of them have a certain amount that will only be paid if they survive - which giving account of the mega deal coming next season is entirely sensible.

Wages, not fees, are the area clubs really get themselves into trouble and I would expect Bournemouth still have one of the smallest budgets in the league.[/quote]
Bournemouth will be at the lower end but regardless, they have more money to spend than Norwich do. That''s already been shown.

I think we have to give a lot of credit to all concerned for the business done this window.

We clearly were not in a good position to make signings in the summer, our preparations were effected by the play offs and it seems we weren''t properly geared up, but we seem to be now, so well done.

Dissapointed we haven''t signed a defensive mid fielder, just hoping that Mulumbu can get himself properly fit.

Well put J. The board have made a real effort to try and keep us up this season in this window and hopefully it will be enough.

Really looking forward to see how Naismith and Mbokani link together as well as Klose and his CB partner (who I think will end up being Bennett).

and hopefully we can Maddison who''s highly rated if the rumour is true.

So yeah...bring it on...I guess.

Looking back at the start of the window,  if someone had told me then what id think if it could be gauranteed Pinto, Naismith, Klose and Bamford (loan) coming in plus 2 or 3 young uns for the future, with E. Benno, Grabban and Hooper going out, id have probably taken that and said yea ok decent window. There is always 1 or 2 more we would have liked coming in and going out but its been a good window. And while im typing this theyve just squeezed in James Maddison to. Excellent City! For January no City fan can be to unhappy with this window.

Why is he considering his future? Who on earth did he think he''d get in because who''d want to join a club almost certain to get relegated?

He knew what he took on...a bit like Lambert, but a bit more severe.

Having described our performance in the summer window as a fiasco it is only right for me to say what a fantastic job the recruitment team have done in this one. Whether it will keep us up or not time will tell but the club cannot be accused of not having a go. I particularly like the fact that we are signing young prospects for the future too. It augers well for bright future. An added bonus is that the scum will be cracking themselves.