Sign in to follow this  
mrs miggins

So, the January transfer window...

How much money do you think realistically we need to get the job done and on what positions.

Personally I think:

CB - £9m

CM- £8m

ST- £10m =£27m

Is this realistic? Do we need another RB? especially with Whitts, Wisdom and Martin who has started to play there in some matches.

Will we sell anyone such as Grabban?

Thoughts?

Nice list and budget, but can you place any players in that list you would see wanting to come and which would improve our starting 11?

We need to ship a few out too to make room, so could be busy January, me thinks.

I don''t see a major requirement for a CM. Would agree with the other two. Would like Charlie Austin. Think he''d suit us a treat.

do you honestly think we will spend 27 mil ?

where are we going to that amount of loose change from

I agree we need to spend that amount if not more but it will not happen

I can see this transfer window being even more shambolic than the previous one. I predict that we will see no new players arriving at the club, with the manager realising that he made a big mistake and abandoning a sinking ship. After scouring the whole of Europe for his successor, Ricky Martin will be put in charge of the first team. This will be followed by our current players having to take a pay cut because of relegation, proceeded by a glut of transfer requests being handed in, and finally our CEO will pay himself a big bonus for a job well done.Hope I''m wrong and we sign the three or four top class players we need to avoid the drop. But I''m not confident.

If we''re looking to better what we''ve got then those numbers look about right. We also need to think about a new contract for Redmond, which will cost.

There will be signings apparently.

Neil''s interview about this here:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/norwich-city/10096523/neil-expecting-january-signings

It''s a shame that Howson has been so poor this year as he''s normally such a great box to box midfielder.

In terms of CB''s, I wonder if we could have a look again at Koulibaly as he''d be a great signing as well as Chester at West Brom. In terms of strikers, I''d be happy enough with Afobe for the right price. Charlie Austin would be great - I''m sure there''s a possibility of him going, especially with QPR being so poor this season (much like Wolves actually).

We could spend that much if we off load, Grabban, Hooper, Laffs and I''m hearing on Saturday that Redmond is on the sale list as he''s refused to sign a new contract, has 18 months left on his contract.

I would love to see a massive churn in January

Out Grabban, Hooper, Turner, Andreu, E Bennett

Whittaker, Dorrans, Redmond (only if we find liverpool in a generous mood), Lafferty (If you don''t play him what''s the point), Jermone if Middlesborough really want to pay towards 8M??

In Naismith, Gray (Birmingham), Kaladou, Juventus Striker

Zara?, lucas Romero (okay that''s a FM one)

Well you did say what I would like

[quote user="Indy"]We could spend that much if we off load, Grabban, Hooper, Laffs and I''m hearing on Saturday that Redmond is on the sale list as he''s refused to sign a new contract, has 18 months left on his contract.[/quote]Is it 18 months for Redmond? I thought it was next June, but could be wrong.

Sorry UB I was told he had 18 months left and was offered a new deal in the summer.

Someone on here will no doubt confirm.

Amazed at the almost total lack of realism on this and other threads (not to mention the tiresome trolling). Let''s all write our letters to Santa and then when he doesn''t deliver what we asked for we can start a host of new threads comprised of hissy fits and tantrums.
1. We won''t sign a player just for the sake of it; anyone coming in has to improve not just the squad but the starting eleven
2 Players of the necessary quality (other than loan players and players nearing the end of their careers) won''t sign for us unless they see the move as beneficial for themselves in the longer term
Those two factors alone drastically reduce the field of possible signings irrespective of how much money we have available for transfer fees and wages.
Equally unrealistic is the idea that other clubs are queueing up to buy any players we are prepared to let go, or that those players are themselves itching to leave. 
We have two main problems: putting the ball in the net and maintaining the necessary level of performance on a consistent basis. The latter cannot be addressed just by signing one or two players so our priority should be the former. So my hope is that we sign a striker and possibly another attacking midfielder (which IMO will be enough for us to finish the season outside the relegation places).

Why do people think Gayle is good enough to be our main striker just out of interest?

I don''t think he''s even scored this season and he only scored 5 last season.

Need to do better than him, especially as he''s not even a young player.

We have players who are pacey and can play as the lone striker already, what we need is goals.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Why do people think Gayle is good enough to be our main striker just out of interest?

I don''t think he''s even scored this season and he only scored 5 last season.

Need to do better than him, especially as he''s not even a young player.

We have players who are pacey and can play as the lone striker already, what we need is goals.[/quote]
Who in our current squad has real pace, the kind of pace that frightens central defenders and forces them to sit deep, the kind of pace you need if you''re looking to play on the counter? It''s something we lack IMO. Gayle has scored 22 goals in 65 appearances for Palace, and his career record is 82 in 169, i.e. close to 1 in 2. Yes the majority of those have been in lower leagues, but it shows he can find the net. Gayle and Naismith between them would add a potency over and above what we currently have. They are also realistic targets for us, which is an important consideration.
Anyway, CC and I''ve named names Mrs. Whose on your shopping list? 

There''s not many strikers that we could afford who have pace that ''frightens central defenders'' and having seen Gayle, he hardly scares defences in this league (imo).

Although I have named some players such as Chester at CB or Koulibaly, I''d also love to try to get Austin as well which could be a possibility and as I say, I would be happy with Afobe at the right price.

Would be happy enough with Naismith; he''s limited but he works hard and I think would fit well into our team.

Other names who I also named at the start of the season include;

Joel Veltman (could go to Newcastle though)

Eric Botteghin

Hakim Ziyech

Lasse Shone

Alex Pritchard

Breel Embolo is way out of our league, but I think still worth mentioning if we could get a loan, then sign one of our loaned players e.g. Jarvis.

I''m not sure if we''d be allowed to buy them having only signed for their clubs at the start of the season, but Caulker and Trippier would be on the list as well (obviously not to buy them all, but I reckon we can have a net spend of around £25m)

[quote user="mrs miggins"]There''s not many strikers that we could afford who have pace that ''frightens central defenders'' and having seen Gayle, he hardly scares defences in this league (imo).

Although I have named some players such as Chester at CB or Koulibaly, I''d also love to try to get Austin as well which could be a possibility and as I say, I would be happy with Afobe at the right price.

Would be happy enough with Naismith; he''s limited but he works hard and I think would fit well into our team.

Other names who I also named at the start of the season include;

Joel Veltman (could go to Newcastle though)

Eric Botteghin

Hakim Ziyech

Lasse Shone

Alex Pritchard

Breel Embolo is way out of our league, but I think still worth mentioning if we could get a loan, then sign one of our loaned players e.g. Jarvis.

I''m not sure if we''d be allowed to buy them having only signed for their clubs at the start of the season, but Caulker and Trippier would be on the list as well (obviously not to buy them all, but I reckon we can have a net spend of around £25m)[/quote]
I don''t understand why you would be happy with Afobe. Unlike Gayle he has never played in the PL and his scoring record (Championship and League One) is less good than Gayle''s. Austin would be great, but QPR want ridiculous money and the player wants to stay in London. Why would he swap that (and his QPR wages) for us? I''d ask the same question about all the others except for Pritchard, who Spurs have said they will loan out in January if he doesn''t break into the side (which he hasn''t) but quite honestly, in our present circumstances, I think we need the experience and never say die determination of Naismith rather than the potential of Pritchard on loan. 

"Who in our current squad has real pace, the kind of pace that frightens central defenders and forces them to sit deep, the kind of pace you need if you''re looking to play on the counter?"

The sort of player who scores goals like that for his country perhaps? I''d play Mbokani and Lafferty up front together for a few games and see how it goes.

A new strikers a must, someone with a bit of pace and a cool finish, Charlie Austin would be a good shout but wouldn''t be fussed if we went elsewhere.

Cant see a new CM unless we offload someone and cant see us being willing or able to pay the sort of price needed to improve on what we have.

CB, again, same as CM, we wont pay enough to improve on what we have. I would rather let Whits go and bring in a decent RB, however Martin did well against Everton, his little turn on the bench may have done him some good.

We need signings but as previously posted attracting players will still be a problem even more so now that we are bottom 3. I suspect that we will hedge our bets and get good championship players like Afobe and if we do go down they will be a platform for coming up again

I think the club has learnt from the summer and I expect to see 2 players come in within the first week of the window, Naismeth being one. Any bigger targets may go down to the wire as is traditional in January.

A few clubs will be in for Austin considering he has 6 months remaining on his contract, he could wait until the summer for a larger signing fee. I would be tempted to do what we did with Earnshaw and offer a relegation release clause, risky business and one I don''t think our board will take but will be needed to attract higher quality players while in our current position.

I meant to add we should be going after Sam Byram, has been a good player for a few years now and 6 months remaining on his Leeds contract. A RB has been a must since Naughton.

I would also look to sell and replace Redmond if Southampton or Liverpool are interested, a club like ours can''t afford to lose players on the cheap who won''t sign a new contract. We need a winger who will take a man on and make runs beyond the fb

westcoastcanary wrote the following post at 14/12/2015 2:57 AM:I don''t understand why you would be happy with Afobe. Unlike Gayle he has never played in the PL and his scoring record (Championship and League One) is less good than Gayle''s.

-------------------------------

Because Gayle is 26 and we know what we''ll be getting for him; a good championship striker.

If we get Afobe (22) who will cost roughly the same (after Wolves being in desperate need of £7m) we know that we are at LEAST getting a good championship striker; he''s got time on his side.

Also the point about him scoring more goals in the lesser divisions is a bit hard to come to a conclusion of on ''who''s better''

The last time Gayle (from my sources) played a season in a lesser division he scored 20 goals in 47 games in the 2012/13 season playing in both L2 and Championship. Whereas Afobe scored 23 goals in 43 games last season in L1 for MK Dons and Championship for Wolves.

This would suggest that Afobe is the better choice imo

if we just sign gayle afobe and naismith (or similar attack minded options) we will still get relegated.

The priority has to be the defence, we cant continue to concede nearly 2 goals a game and expect to stay up.

Agree with ZLF.

Just wonder who we could get if we couldn''t get them in the summer.

Situations change in January though.

At the start of the season we weren''t willing to sell Hooper or Lafferty or perhaps even Grabban.

Targets such as Koulibaly (who would really be a step up) may become available.