Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

Transfer window Janauary 2016

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]That said I''m fairly confident their '' prudence with ambition'' of previous years is a bit more balanced now...[/quote]I hope our ''prudence with ambition'' is forever maintained Smithy, rather than finish up like a Bolton, Leeds or Portsmouth. As much as it''s been derided by many of our fans, it really has served us well over the years. A quick look at the Championship table will show many of those teams can look back at past successes while we can look to the future with confidence. How many times over the years have our fans looked at other club transactions with envy and yet many of those clubs are below us now?Why would we want to dump ''prudence with ambition'' when it has been so successful for us?

If the Board start to get complacent, hopefully talk of Man City''s CB injury crisis will remind them to think about what would happen if Bennett and/or Basso were to be injured.

I''d be quite pleased about the idea of Rob Green coming back - as long as he''s on a sensible wage.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]That said I''m fairly confident their '' prudence with ambition'' of previous years is a bit more balanced now...[/quote]I hope our ''prudence with ambition'' is forever maintained Smithy, rather than finish up like a Bolton, Leeds or Portsmouth. As much as it''s been derided by many of our fans, it really has served us well over the years. A quick look at the Championship table will show many of those teams can look back at past successes while we can look to the future with confidence. How many times over the years have our fans looked at other club transactions with envy and yet many of those clubs are below us now?Why would we want to dump ''prudence with ambition'' when it has been so successful for us?

[/quote]

I thought he left a long time ago !

There have been many comments regarding our activity and professionalism in the transfer market, including those made by a former Premier League manager and player, who, I assume knows what he is talking about, namely Steve Bruce and to quote, “Norwich have come in with bids for Robbie Brady, but I have to say they have been embarrassing. The supporters should know the truth and Norwich came in two weeks ago with a bid of £2m, £2.5m and then £3m.

This set me thinking and what follows is no more than my personal summations.

I believe we ended paying between £7-8m for Brady, approaching 4 x the original offer. I know we all want value for money, but would any of you view a house with a current market value of £300,000 and make an offer of £75,000? If you would, then please be prepared for the agent and home owner to think you are a time waster and mischief maker and what are the chances of you being taken seriously, if you knocked on their, or by now their neighbours, door again and even if you were entertained, I suspect the temptation would be to treat you as you treated them, in other words they would take the pi$$.

In such a closed industry as professional football, reputations stick and travel fast and I can only imagine that given what Mr Bruce said, our reputation ain’t that good. Now, if and only if, that repuatation was coupled with a reputation for reneging on agreements and even withholding monies owed to players, etc. then it would hardly be surprising if we struggled to attract players and that our transfer market dealings became a little disappointing, wouldn''t it?

A I said, just my peronal musings.

I agree Ray, it is a relatively small community, my thoughts are that we were tin pot in the last window and to overcome the reputational damage done is probably going to cost us even more this time round if we are to recruit successfully. Our strategy last time was either absent or ill conceived. To follow it up with whinging that people don''t want to come here only rubs salt in the wounds we opened ourselves.

Buying a house and buying Brady are completely different though. The best you can go with the analogy is if you hear they have the lease on the house running out in a year and they can''t afford the mortgage. In that case, you might well offer well below the valuation!

[quote user="Ray"]There have been many comments regarding our activity and professionalism in the transfer market, including those made by a former Premier League manager and player, who, I assume knows what he is talking about, namely Steve Bruce and to quote, “Norwich have come in with bids for Robbie Brady, but I have to say they have been embarrassing. The supporters should know the truth and Norwich came in two weeks ago with a bid of £2m, £2.5m and then £3m.

This set me thinking and what follows is no more than my personal summations.

I believe we ended paying between £7-8m for Brady, approaching 4 x the original offer. I know we all want value for money, but would any of you view a house with a current market value of £300,000 and make an offer of £75,000? If you would, then please be prepared for the agent and home owner to think you are a time waster and mischief maker and what are the chances of you being taken seriously, if you knocked on their, or by now their neighbours, door again and even if you were entertained, I suspect the temptation would be to treat you as you treated them, in other words they would take the pi$$.

In such a closed industry as professional football, reputations stick and travel fast and I can only imagine that given what Mr Bruce said, our reputation ain’t that good. Now, if and only if, that repuatation was coupled with a reputation for reneging on agreements and even withholding monies owed to players, etc. then it would hardly be surprising if we struggled to attract players and that our transfer market dealings became a little disappointing, wouldn''t it?

A I said, just my peronal musings.[/quote]But didn''t Bruce start off proceeding saying Brady was worth around £15m?http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hull-City-transfer-talk-Robbie-Brady-Norwich-City/story-26647384-detail/story.htmlI think it''s important to note that only one party was talking through the media when we got Brady. We only got one side of the story.If they''re going to start off negotiations on their side with something ridiculously high, then we should start ridiculously low on our side.  Obviously the buyer was taken seriously in the end. We ended up getting him. For a lot less than £15m. I don''t think that''s embarrassing, or unprofessional. I think that''s smart.The selling of a football player is completely different to a house. Hull only had - at the very most - a handful of parties that could buy what they were selling. A house has thousands. If Hull want to sell, they need to be a lot more willing to talk to anyone interested.

That''s a very fair point, their initial valuation of £15m was embarrassing surely.

Selling clubs will always try and get more for players that the buying club want to spend (unless you''re Bournemouth who don''t seem to care).

It''s a game, they start at £15m, we start at £2m and you meet somewhere in the middle.

Interesting it''s always the selling clubs who bleat to the press about offers, why, well because they want as much as they can get but also to let the rest of the footballing world that a player is for sale at the right price.

I think its fair to say that there''s a lot more integrity and honesty on display in a Marrakech Souk than there is in the world of professional football - wouldn''t you Vanwink?

[quote user="Vanwink"]Perhaps if we were buying a carpet in a Marrakech Souk we would behave in that way.[/quote]So, just like when we lose we''re crap but when we win we''re lucky, its the same when we play hard ball negotiating player deals. When others do it it''s smart, but when we do it it''s unprofessional.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Perhaps if we were buying a carpet in a Marrakech Souk we would behave in that way.[/quote]So, just like when we lose we''re crap but when we win we''re lucky, it''s the same when we play hard ball negotiating player deals. When others do it it''s smart, but when we do it it''s unprofessional.

So Vanwink should we have spent millions in the summer like Villa Sundeland Newcastle and Bournemouth. Would spending more but having less points ( especially Villa ) represent success or does the position we are in represent success ?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

The current Norwich City squad is as follows:Ruddy, Rudd, Kean.Pinto, Bassong, Bennett R, Martin, Olsson, Wisdom, Whittaker.Howson, Brady, Jarvis, Dorrans, Mulumbu, Hoolahan, O''Neil, Odjidja-Ofoe, Tettey.Hooper, Lafferty, Mbokani, Jerome.

[/quote]Grabban''s departure takes the number down to 23. If the recall of Andreu from loan means he is earmarked for us for the second half of the season he would make a 24th. But as things stand I am only including those who were in the summer squad, and any winter arrivals.

Its hard trying to gauge a 25 man squad, even looking at that you have Hooper on loan at Wednesday whos due back  soon but Kean just going out  on loan to Colchester...so the 23 / 24 / 25 is a bit in flux right now to say the least.

The ghost of Michael Theoklitos wrote the following post at 11/01/2016 2:34 PM:

Vanwink wrote:

Perhaps if we were buying a carpet in a Marrakech Souk we would behave in that way.

So, just like when we lose we''re *** but when we win we''re lucky, its the same when we play hard ball negotiating player deals. When others do it it''s smart, but when we do it it''s unprofessional.

Your win/lose analogy is not one I subscribe to.

Playing "hard ball" in negotiations has its place but also has boundaries, beyond which unprofessional and tin pot would be more appropriate terms.

Just so that we can absolutely clear Vanwink.

Do you think that we successfully played hardball when signing Brady in the summer - or were we tinpot in negotiating that deal?

Thirsty Lizard wrote the following post at 11/01/2016 7:03 PM:

Do you think that we successfully played hardball when signing Brady in the summer - or were we tinpot in negotiating that deal?

Is that the Royal "we"?

Judging from what''s been reported, tinpot, just so you can be absolutely clear.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Thirsty Lizard wrote the following post at 11/01/2016 7:03 PM:

Is that the Royal "we"?

Judging from what''s been reported, tinpot, just so you can be absolutely clear.[/quote]
Is basing your comments on "what''s been reported" tinpot or hardball? 

[quote user="Vanwink"]Do you prefer making things up?[/quote]
Because no facts are available I prefer not to pretend that "what''s reported" is anything other than made up.

So it was reported that we (that''s Norwich City as you well know) started by offering £2million for Brady and Hull started off asking £15 million for Brady.

The final figure was £7 million. Not sure if maths is your strong point Vanwink, but the final figure was NEARER to our initial valuation than to Hull''s.

And it was us (that''s Norwich City remember) that were being tinpot??????????????????

£2m, £2.5m, £3m etc. bids for a player of Brady''s quality, age and PL experience.

A laughable approach to recruitment which culminated in an embarrassing last minute pantomime at the end of the window leaving our squad short on quality. A deficiency which is now going to cost us a fortune to rectify.

Naismith will be here by the weekend, don''t worry. As for a CB, it''s slightly worrying that even the rumors have stopped but there''s plenty of time left and we clearly have money to burn now.

quote "Thirsty Lizard"

So it was reported that we (that''s Norwich City as you well know) started by offering £2million for Brady and Hull started off asking £15 million for Brady.

The final figure was £7 million. Not sure if maths is your strong point Vanwink, but the final figure was NEARER to our initial valuation than to Hull''s.

And it was us (that''s Norwich City remember) that were being tinpot??????????????????

A fair point Thirsty, but we paid 3.5 times (350%) our original offer, Hull accepted just under half (46.67%) their valuation. So, % wise our movement was 6.56 greater than theirs.

So it could be argued, ''tinpot; Hull manouvred us to pay three and half times what we originally offered, in my book that''s pretty good negotiating. On top of that Hull probably knew our history and valued the player circa £7m anyway so after all the fannying about and wasted time they got what they wanted in the first place.

Just love numbers and the stories they tell.

[quote user="Ray"]A fair point Thirsty, but we paid 3.5 times (350%) our original offer, Hull accepted just under half (46.67%) their valuation. So, % wise our movement was 6.56 greater than theirs.

So it could be argued, ''tinpot; Hull manouvred us to pay three and half times what we originally offered, in my book that''s pretty good negotiating.[/quote]You''re not comparing like with like if you''re comparing percentages of two different numbers, at least in this particular context. I think you''re after something like a geometric mean as a ''half way'' point, which is the square root of the product of 2 and 15 ~ £5.5m.

"Vanwink"

£2m, £2.5m, £3m etc. bids for a player of Brady''s quality, age and PL experience.

A laughable approach to recruitment which culminated in an embarrassing last minute pantomime at the end of the window leaving our squad short on quality. A deficiency which is now going to cost us a fortune to rectify.

Are you privy to all our negotiations? If so I am sure the board will be a bit annoyed with you passing on secretive information on a public forum.