Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

Transfer window Janauary 2016

Wow, with all this money being spent no wonder Bowkett moved on!

Am I wrong in still feeling that we could just do with one more commanding CB (on loan if needs be) to reduce reliance on Bennett and Bassong? I hope never to see RM there again, but even with Klose coming in, I still have the odd niggle at the back of my head about our defence.......................

Other than that, no one can accuse the Board of not pushing the boat out for survival.

I''d love to see the back of Redmond in this window, if we could get around 8 million I would drive him there.

He has been here to long without improving or finding any kind of consistency, his time is up in my opinion (and many other Norwich fans).

The most infuriating player since Jon Otsemobor.

The departure of Hooper takes the squad back down to 24:Ruddy, Rudd, Kean.Pinto, Bassong, Bennett, Martin, Olsson, Wisdom, Whittaker, Klose.Howson, Brady, Jarvis, Dorrans, Mulumbu, Hoolahan, O''Neil, Odjidja-Ofoe, Tettey.Lafferty, Mbokani, Jerome, Naismith.Ths a gap for a permanent or loan signing. As for the increasingly popular Net Spend calculation, a figure of  £3.5m for Hooper (generously adding a bit to the £3m mooted) would bring that down to around £9.5m, remembering all the caveats about the crudeness of these figures. A guess would be that if that is the end of substantial money transfers out then we would not be paying a third large sum (rivalling those for Klose and Naismsith) to bring in another player (this would not rule out a loan deal). But that if, say, Lafferty were also to depart then we might still be intent on making another big splash in the market.

That said we were still in for Haller for about 6.5 and that was before the departure of hopper and while the negotiations were going on for Naismith and Klose...

I wonder what''s next for Andreu. We rejected Rotherham''s request to extend his loan after impressive displays recently. However, he hasn''t featured in any of the 3 squads in the 2 weeks he''s been back. Could he still come into the 25 for the 2nd half of the season, or will he go elsewhere?

[quote user="plengcharthai"]I wonder what''s next for Andreu. We rejected Rotherham''s request to extend his loan after impressive displays recently. However, he hasn''t featured in any of the 3 squads in the 2 weeks he''s been back. Could he still come into the 25 for the 2nd half of the season, or will he go elsewhere?[/quote]

He was on the bench vs City but I agree he''ll likely move on. I''d imagine we''ll struggle to find a buyer so he''ll end up going on "Emergency loan" just after the window shuts.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Kean is on loan to Colchester United so will not be in the 25 man squad.[/quote]Kean is on a 28-day loan which ends very early in February. Since as yet there has been no public indication (certainly none that I have seen) that the loan will be extended I have continued to include him. Not least on the basis that it is almost universal practice for 25-man squads to include three goalkeepers (if you don''t it rather cuts the ground from under any claim for an emergency loan if one of the two gets injured), and we have yet to sign anyone else in that position.But of course your certainty (based, I assume, on inside knowledge rather than being unaware of just how short in duration is the current loan to Colchester) understandably gives me pause for thought, and I plainly need to consider excising his name.

As shown in point a) and b) "net spend" when focused only on transfer fees gives an unrealistic picture of club investment or "ambition"

Point c)

To illustrate further, note two comparable recent transfer fees and then note true "deal cost" showing the massive difference between two deals that under "net spend" would be similar:

Gary Hooper: Fee £3.5m, 4 year contract, weekly wage £25k

Annual cost to club: £2.125m

Overall investment: £8.5m

Charlie Austin: Fee £4m, 4 year contract, weekly wage £100k

Annual cost to club: £6m

Overall investment: £24m

Difference in "transfer fee net spend" = £0.5m

Difference in real deal cost = £15.5m

Parma

Bamford''s arrival brings the squad to 25, and fiils the one currently available loan space:Ruddy, Rudd, Kean.Pinto, Bassong, Bennett, Martin, Olsson, Wisdom, Whittaker, Klose.Howson, Brady, Jarvis, Dorrans, Mulumbu, Hoolahan, O''Neil, Odjidja-Ofoe, Tettey.Bamford, Lafferty, Mbokani, Jerome, Naismith.

Hmm, out of that lot, I can see us moving Whittaker, Lafferty, Kean and maybe even Dorrans or Mulumbu on.

There''s still room to buy players.

After a poor summer, full credit to the club for their efforts so far this window. Agree with TJ, could see some more ins and outs yet.

Ruddy, Rudd,
Pinto, Bassong, RyanB, Russ, Olsson, Wisdom, Whittaker, Klose.
Howson, Brady, Jarvis, Dorrans, Mulumbu,, O''Neil, Tettey, Valdis, Wessie
 Mbokani, Jerome, Naismith, Bamford,
So assuming Lafferty is off tomorrow, do we have 2 more spaces?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Bamford''s arrival brings the squad to 25, and fiils the one currently available loan space:Ruddy, Rudd, Kean.Pinto, Bassong, Bennett, Martin, Olsson, Wisdom, Whittaker, Klose.Howson, Brady, Jarvis, Dorrans, Mulumbu, Hoolahan, O''Neil, Odjidja-Ofoe, Tettey, Naismith.Bamford, Lafferty, Mbokani, Jerome.[/quote]

With two days to go in the Janauary transfer window a quick recap of business so far might indicate what more, if anything, will happen. In terms of the summer''s 25-man squad (actually only 24) we have offloaded three players - Hooper, Grabban and Elliott Bennett. We have brought in four potential squad members - Pinto, Klose, Naismith and Bamford - and made Jarvis a permanent deal.So all outfield areas - fullback, central defence, midfield (now counting Naismith as such, with Bamford''s arrival) and attack have been addressed. I have not seen any credible information this window that we have been looking to offload any keepers, or reliable links to any replacements. If Kean''s short-term loan to Colchester were to be extended that would, though, presumably alter the position. It would be tempting fate only to have two.As for money, the net spend figure, albeit very crude, has its uses, not least  in picturing the Prudence versus Ambition Swingometer. As things stand the Swingometer is (very roughly) twitching around the £9m+ Ambition mark. And a guesstimate would be these particular three players out and these particular four players in will have increased rather than reduced or not affected our wage bill.That being so, unless we offload another player (and Lafferty would seem the only possible candidate) for decent money I would not expect us to make another big-money signing to rival those of Naismith and Klose. And we do not have a loan space available. Where we now seem a touch over-loaded is at right-back, with Whittaker a candidate to be shipped out, but he would hardly be likely to bring in much money, even assuming it was a permanent deal rather than a loan.All in all, given the number of time-consuming deals we have completed (in and out), the areas of the squad that have been addressed, the amount we have spent above what we have received, the probable increase in our wages, the current lack of a squad place and the likelihood that at best one might become available, it could well be we have now finished our acquisitions. Or that, if events fall into place, there is possibly one reasonably-priced deal to come. But no more than that.

Nicely summed up Purple. Lafferty and/or Whittaker out, maybe one more in who would unlikely be a direct replacement for either.

Whilst we have 25 professionals of age, they only count to the squad limit if they are named. There''s nothing to stop us having more at the end of the window then loaning those out who don''t make the cut afterwards. I''m not saying I think it will happen just pointing out that it''s not a bar to further signings

[quote user="Fuzzar"]Nicely summed up Purple. Lafferty and/or Whittaker out, maybe one more in who would unlikely be a direct replacement for either.[/quote]

Cant see whittaker go if anything another defender in for place competition

City Angel, you have missed a 3rd keeper, which I would imagine will sill be Jake Kean, whether he remains out on loan or not. If there are no further incomings / outgoings, the final spot could be taken by either Lafferty or Andreu, However, there does seem to still be some room for manoeuvre tomorrow in terms of a coming and going or 2

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Bamford''s arrival brings the squad to 25, and fiils the one currently available loan space:Ruddy, Rudd, Kean.Pinto, Bassong, Bennett, Martin, Olsson, Wisdom, Whittaker, Klose.Howson, Brady, Jarvis, Dorrans, Mulumbu, Hoolahan, O''Neil, Odjidja-Ofoe, Tettey, Naismith.Bamford, Lafferty, Mbokani, Jerome.[/quote]

With two days to go in the Janauary transfer window a quick recap of business so far might indicate what more, if anything, will happen. In terms of the summer''s 25-man squad (actually only 24) we have offloaded three players - Hooper, Grabban and Elliott Bennett. We have brought in four potential squad members - Pinto, Klose, Naismith and Bamford - and made Jarvis a permanent deal.So all outfield areas - fullback, central defence, midfield (now counting Naismith as such, with Bamford''s arrival) and attack have been addressed. I have not seen any credible information this window that we have been looking to offload any keepers, or reliable links to any replacements. If Kean''s short-term loan to Colchester were to be extended that would, though, presumably alter the position. It would be tempting fate only to have two.As for money, the net spend figure, albeit very crude, has its uses, not least  in picturing the Prudence versus Ambition Swingometer. As things stand the Swingometer is (very roughly) twitching around the £9m+ Ambition mark. And a guesstimate would be these particular three players out and these particular four players in will have increased rather than reduced or not affected our wage bill.That being so, unless we offload another player (and Lafferty would seem the only possible candidate) for decent money I would not expect us to make another big-money signing to rival those of Naismith and Klose. And we do not have a loan space available. Where we now seem a touch over-loaded is at right-back, with Whittaker a candidate to be shipped out, but he would hardly be likely to bring in much money, even assuming it was a permanent deal rather than a loan.All in all, given the number of time-consuming deals we have completed (in and out), the areas of the squad that have been addressed, the amount we have spent above what we have received, the probable increase in our wages, the current lack of a squad place and the likelihood that at best one might become available, it could well be we have now finished our acquisitions. Or that, if events fall into place, there is possibly one reasonably-priced deal to come. But no more than that.

[/quote]

The forgotten man here seems to be Remi Matthews who returned from Burton prior to Kean going out on loan. If we kept Remi as third choice when Kean''s loan ends that would free a space.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Bamford''s arrival brings the squad to 25, and fiils the one currently available loan space:Ruddy, Rudd, Kean.Pinto, Bassong, Bennett, Martin, Olsson, Wisdom, Whittaker, Klose.Howson, Brady, Jarvis, Dorrans, Mulumbu, Hoolahan, O''Neil, Odjidja-Ofoe, Tettey, Naismith.Bamford, Lafferty, Mbokani, Jerome.[/quote]

[/quote]That assessment proved to be reasonably accurate. Having immediately loaned Maddison back, the squad number stays at 25, assuming Kean returns from his Colchester loan spell. If not, as nutty suggested, Remi Matthews might become the third goalkeeper, reducing the number (though irrelevant) to 24. As, separately, would be loaning Lafferty out in a week''s time.Taking the reported basic figure of £2.5m for Maddison, the Prudence versus Ambition Net Spending Swingometer settled around the £12m Ambition mark. So, as predicted, we did spend vastly more than we received in this window (with almost certainly an increase in our wage bill), and it was by a long way a record winter-window spend (around £24m, against a previous figure of perhaps £5.5m in January 2012). Overall, taking the summer window into account, a crude figure for our net spending would be a bit above £30m.In addition, with the acquisition of Godfrey, Adams and Maddison, we have finally found the time (and money) to do some forward planning.