Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

Transfer window Janauary 2016

I believe this is correct, but will happily acknowledge any errors.The UK window opens on Saturday, January 2, 2016, and closes at 11pm GMT on Monday, February 2. This is roughly but not precisely in sync with other major European leagues.Once the window has closed Premier League clubs can only bring in new players if they are deemed to be emergency loans (for example in the event of a goalkeeping shortage) or if the player is a free agent (ie not contracted to any club) and the acquiring club has fewer than 25 players in its squad. In practical terms, in most cases, 11pm on February 2 will mark the end of business, apart (after a short interval) from loans out to clubs below the Premier League.Premier League clubs are limited to two loans from rival clubs, but there is no limit on the number of players from overseas loaned/bought for the season or half-season.The current Norwich City squad (numbering one short of the maximun 25) is as follows:Ruddy, Rudd, Kean.Bassong, Bennett R, Martin, Olsson, Wisdom, Whittaker.Howson, Brady, Jarvis, Dorrans, Mulumbu, Hoolahan, O''Neil, Bennett E, Odjidja-Ofoe, Tettey.Grabban, Hooper, Lafferty, Mbokani, Jerome.Redmond is not listed because for this season he still counts as an under-21 player. Wisdom is in effect our only PL loanee  since Jarvis is signing permanently on January 2, so we have a domestic loan space available. And we can add a player without getting rid of anyone, to bring the number to 25. We have a job lot of players out on loan but of those only Bennett E and Hooper are in our current squad, and are due back in January. Posters will have their opinions as to whether either might end up at Carrow Road for the second half of the season.The chief executive has just confirmed that we do not need to sell in order to buy (the money we failed to spend in the summer always made that likely) but that doesn''t mean we won''t sell some now judged by Neil to be surplus to requirements to part-fund incoming transfers while also freeing up spaces in the squad.

Thanks for this Purple, looks about right from my first read. Looking at the 2 from the squad on loan, I would be surprised if they are both on our books come the end of Jan.If a player in the squad is out on a short term loan (less than season long), do they count toward the 25 in total?

Lafferty to Leeds on loan for rest of season, Hoopers deal to Sheff Wed made permanent, Grabban may as just well go, I don''t really care where, but if Bournemouth want him I want top dollar.Unfortunately I don''t think Elliot Bennet has a future here.Turner?

[quote user="Daz Sparks"]Thanks for this Purple, looks about right from my first read. Looking at the 2 from the squad on loan, I would be surprised if they are both on our books come the end of Jan.If a player in the squad is out on a short term loan (less than season long), do they count toward the 25 in total?[/quote]They count in the 25-man squad if we list them, no matter what we then do with them, and if we don''t list them they don''t count, even if we hang on to them. So Bennett E and Hooper are currently taking up two places in our squad despite being out on loan. The point is they were named in the squad and then loaned out. If we do that again they will count again. But I agree that the chances are neither will be listed, either because we have extended their loans, or sold them.

This is incorrect.
The January window will close on February 1st, not 2nd in 2016. It closed on the 2nd Feb in 2015 due to the 1st being a Sunday. (Source: Official Premier League website)
It''s not clear if it will shut at 11pm. Presumably this will be the case, as the only reason I found for the Summer window shutting at 6pm was Champions League registrations needing to be in. It''s reasonable to assume this won''t be applicable for January and the window can shut at 11pm (which is much better imo), but there has been no official confirmation of this that I can find.

[quote user="kick it off"]This is incorrect.
The January window will close on February 1st, not 2nd in 2016. It closed on the 2nd Feb in 2015 due to the 1st being a Sunday. (Source: Official Premier League website)
It''s not clear if it will shut at 11pm. Presumably this will be the case, as the only reason I found for the Summer window shutting at 6pm was Champions League registrations needing to be in. It''s reasonable to assume this won''t be applicable for January and the window can shut at 11pm (which is much better imo), but there has been no official confirmation of this that I can find.
[/quote]You''re right that is is Feb 1, which I had in my notes. Very silly...[:$]

And you''ve spelt January incorrectly. For God''s sake Purple, keep it together! Thanks for the thread, BTW!

[:)]

[quote user="morty"]You missed out Turner.[/quote]Deliberately so. He was not named in the 25-man squad at the beginning of September and his loan lasts all season. Bennett E and Hooper were named in the squad and their loans end in January.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"]You missed out Turner.[/quote]Deliberately so. He was not named in the 25-man squad at the beginning of September and his loan lasts all season. Bennett E and Hooper were named in the squad and their loans end in January.[/quote]Ah right, couldn''t remember if that was the case or not, and was struggling to find info online[Y]

A look at the appearance count for us this season will shine a light on those that would be omitted from any revised 25 man squad.

I think we can safely assume that (investment in youth aside) all signings this Jan will be straight into the 25 being viewed as improvements upon what we already have. Ideally they will also be better than the current starting players.

I can so very much see the January window  heading the same way as the summer window, just recall what DM has said...no reckless spending...2 or 3 players to come in. Most City fans are listing 5 or 6 new faces already just from rumours, and its not even January yet. OK,presuming Matt Jarvis is 1 of the signings that leaves just 2 more max. Lets say  for fun its Ivo Pinto...a RB who can be called to do a CB job if needed. Sounds much like a Mr. Wisdom in the summer yes? Lets also suggest Steven Naismith comes...an attacking midfielder who can score goals. There it is...Mr. Pinto would cover RB and be our CB if needed and Mr. Naismith could fill the striker role  albeit that hes a midfielder.So...no dedicated new CB to join...no dedicated new striker..can see this happening, its so very Norwich City. Forget the Seb Hallers and Afobes up front, or the Rannocchias or Kone at CB, be realistic and stick to how we all know City conduct transfer windows.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

I believe this is correct, but will happily acknowledge any errors.The UK window opens on Saturday, January 2, 2016, and closes at 11pm GMT on Monday, February 2. This is roughly but not precisely in sync with other major European leagues.Once the window has closed Premier League clubs can only bring in new players if they are deemed to be emergency loans (for example in the event of a goalkeeping shortage) or if the player is a free agent (ie not contracted to any club) and the acquiring club has fewer than 25 players in its squad. In practical terms, in most cases, 11pm on February 2 will mark the end of business, apart (after a short interval) from loans out to clubs below the Premier League.Premier League clubs are limited to two loans from rival clubs, but there is no limit on the number of players from overseas loaned/bought for the season or half-season.The current Norwich City squad (numbering one short of the maximun 25) is as follows:Ruddy, Rudd, Kean.Bassong, Bennett R, Martin, Olsson, Wisdom, Whittaker.Howson, Brady, Jarvis, Dorrans, Mulumbu, Hoolahan, O''Neil, Odjidja-Ofoe, Tettey.Grabban, Hooper, Lafferty, Mbokani, Jerome.Redmond is not listed because for this season he still counts as an under-21 player. Wisdom is in effect our only PL loanee  since Jarvis is signing permanently on January 2, so we have a domestic loan space available. And we can add a player without getting rid of anyone, to bring the number to 25. We have a job lot of players out on loan but of those only Bennett E and Hooper are in our current squad, and are due back in January. Posters will have their opinions as to whether either might end up at Carrow Road for the second half of the season.The chief executive has just confirmed that we do not need to sell in order to buy (the money we failed to spend in the summer always made that likely) but that doesn''t mean we won''t sell some now judged by Neil to be surplus to requirements to part-fund incoming transfers while also freeing up spaces in the squad.

[/quote]Elliott Bennett''s permanent departure for Blackburn Rovers takes the squad down to 23, and will be a blow to Jane Austen fans everywhere, leaving us with only one so named.

RB is an area we are relatively weak despite having 3 players in the position, so assuming we land Pinto and he''s an upgrade, then with Jarvis signed permanently that''s not a bad start.

For me CB is the crucial position.  If we can get in a CB who''s better quality than Basso then it will be a successful window for me.  If we get another CB who''s there or thereabouts, that''s ok but not great - we need the cover.

Up front if we can add quality eg Naismith, that would be good.  Or sign a striker who''s better than Mbokani/Jerome, but let''s face it, everyone would love to sign a better striker in January.

Otherwise I''d say we only need signings to replace first team players if any leave, such as Redmond.

The current Norwich City squad (numbering one short of the maximun 25) is as follows:Ruddy, Rudd, Kean.Pinto, Bassong, Bennett R, Martin, Olsson, Wisdom, Whittaker.Howson, Brady, Jarvis, Dorrans, Mulumbu, Hoolahan, O''Neil, Odjidja-Ofoe, Tettey.Grabban, Hooper, Lafferty, Mbokani, Jerome.

[/quote]Pinto''s arrival bring s the squad numbers back up to the 24 it was during the first part of the season. Kean''s departure on a very short-term loan is (or has to be assumed to be) irrelevant in terms of assessing the numbers/names to be listed, to a maximum of 25, on February 2.What I am not clear about - other posters may know - is whether we can go above having 25 players temporarily listed - and playing - during January before cutting the number down to that once the window has shut. References seem to indicate we still are not allowed more than 25 this month, but I have found nothing definitive.

Technically the squad cannot go over 25, even in January. However, as the 25 can be changed unlimited times Norwich can change it to suit any particular match (as long as the FA is notified by 12 noon the day before a game).

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Technically the squad cannot go over 25, even in January. However, as the 25 can be changed unlimited times Norwich can change it to suit any particular match (as long as the FA is notified by 12 noon the day before a game).[/quote]Thanks, Bethnal! That seemed the implication of what I''d found.

Put that list of player ins appearance order and it becomes a little clearer where any further departures are likely to come from - or omissions from a revised 25 man squad.

Ruddy, Rudd, Kean.

Bassong, Brady (both all 20), Pinto, Martin Bennett Olsson,

Whittaker. Wisdom

Howson (20), (Redmond 19), Tettey, Hoolahan,, Dorrans, O''Neil, Jarvis, Mulumbu, Odjidja-Ofoe,

Jerome (20), Mbokani (12), .Grabban, Lafferty, Hooper,

The keeper position is most artifical - Kean/matthews will be third choice cover with Ruddy only leaving if a replacement is bought.

Defence (my personal preference is brady sits here) shows good cover with Wisdom & Whittaker likely to leave as least used - even a new CB signing only hints at one of them dropping off if a space is needed

I would suggest that the midfield will be unchanged - all have been influential at some stage and

Up front its the jerome or Mbokani - grabban only has 6 appearances in total - so he and the other two at most vulnerable.

The core looks solid, add that extra starting XI quality up top & at CB and my confidence in survival increases even further.

We are in talks with experienced keepers (including one that city fans know very well!) so we can assume that either Kean is surplus to requirements or that Ruddy is going to be moved on and the replacement keeper will battle it out with Rudd.

[quote user="Splendid Rush"]We are in talks with experienced keepers (including one that city fans know very well!) so we can assume that either Kean is surplus to requirements or that Ruddy is going to be moved on and the replacement keeper will battle it out with Rudd.[/quote]Matt Gilks? Lee Camp? Bryan Gunn?

Or Jed Steer?

[url=http://the72.co.uk/44279/qpr-to-consider-offloading-high-earning-goalkeeper/]http://the72.co.uk/44279/qpr-to-consider-offloading-high-earning-goalkeeper/[/url]

Green would be useful for our home grown quota for next season''s European adventures...

Seems ideal timing to buy him on the cheap if that article is correct.

I wouldn''t be against signing Green as our no. 2 if ruddy was to leave. Much like the role Crichton gave to green in his early career he would be a good role model for Rudd and would pass on a lot of valuable experience and I''m sure he would be more accepting of a back up role than ruddy. Only obstacle may be wages but with his age and Norwich routes he may take a decent cut to come back ''home''. And of course would count as home-grown if we ever have that for consideration.

The current Norwich City squad (numbering one short of the maximun 25) is as follows:Ruddy, Rudd, Kean.Pinto, Bassong, Bennett R, Martin, Olsson, Wisdom, Whittaker.Howson, Brady, Jarvis, Dorrans, Mulumbu, Hoolahan, O''Neil, Odjidja-Ofoe, Tettey.Grabban, Hooper, Lafferty, Mbokani, Jerome.

[/quote]To be clear, this list is made up of those players listed at the beginning of September, plus any brought in in January, as a practical basis for assessing who might be in the February 2 list. So there is an assumption any acquired this month, such as Pinto, will be named next month. There is an argument that Andreu should be added for now, given that his loan has ended and he is available to play this month. But it is far from obvious (publicly at least) that he is back permanently, and to include him might give a false impression of how our numbers are stacking up.

Good to see we''ve signed Pinto and fairly early in the transfer window. Seems to be differences of opinion as to how much we''ve paid but he looks a good buy.I''m pretty sure there''ll be more to come but I do worry that with 9 points won in the last 4 games the Board are more likely to take the view that we can pretty much go with what we''ve got and we''ll be OK.That said I''m fairly confident their '' prudence with ambition'' of previous years is a bit more balanced now so I''d expect to see more transfers completed.