Sign in to follow this  
Haggerdoo

Mulumbu?

Really expected him to be a pivitol part of our team but following return from his pre season injury has barely featured - fallen out of favour? - surely we should give him a chance to prove what he''s capable of - after all there aren''t too many of the first team covering themselves in glory at the moment.

Would love to see him come in for tettey to play alongside o Neil. At this level Tettey concedes possession far too cheaply and only has sideways or backwards balls to his game. Like the guy but unfortunately the PL is a step too far for him

Agree, Tettey was much better in the second half at tackling and winning the ball back, however, as we know, he can''t pass for toffee.....get it; toffee - Everton...no, I''ll get my coat.

I''m amazed that people think that Mulumbu is going to be great player for us given that he was rejected by WBA.Players who come in from an average PL Club, for a small fee or no fee at all, do so for a reason.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I think the point was simply if he is going to be better than Tettey or O'' Neil, not if he''s going to turn out to be a great player.[/quote]The OP doesn''t make any mention O''Neil, Tettey or any other midfield player so how you do you arrive at that conclusion.

Got injured at the wrong time and is now struggling to make an impact. Hardly set the world alight in his appearances so far has he

Was a midfield lynchpin for WBA for a number of years and was the first name on their team sheet. Bags of Premier League experience and the only reason Pulis got rid was because he is a 6 foot+ oaf.

They also signed Darren Fletcher who is a better player.

I was pleased we signed Mulumbu but it''s not as if he didn''t make the odd costly error while in a WBA shirt.

[quote user="GJP"]They also signed Darren Fletcher who is a better player.

I was pleased we signed Mulumbu but it''s not as if he didn''t make the odd costly error while in a WBA shirt.[/quote]Yes, but all players make costly errors occasionally.  It could be something as simple as fitness that he has not been picked - we have plenty of midfielders and if not quite up to speed, he would find it difficult to get ahead of some of them, if not all of them. 

I agree.

It''s just that many people had made their minds up he would be an automatic first choice before he''d even kicked a ball for us. You know, stuff like "he''s a class above what we''ve got" etc.

Well I''ve watched him play enough over the years and he''s good but not great. Which goes for the rest of our squad really.

[quote user="GJP"]I agree.

It''s just that many people had made their minds up he would be an automatic first choice before he''d even kicked a ball for us. You know, stuff like "he''s a class above what we''ve got" etc.

Well I''ve watched him play enough over the years and he''s good but not great. Which goes for the rest of our squad really.[/quote]I was hoping he would step straight in to the team, but can accept that he may not be any better than Tettey or O''Neil for instance.  Dorrans too.  Our problems will not be solved by individuals, it will be solved by them stepping up collectively to the challenge.  Mulumbu has first to get in the team, but once he does, the team will be better for it imo.

Agreed Lakey. I think Tettey overall has been poor this season, woeful passing and his tackling hasnt been great either hence the 7 bookings thus far. Mulumbu isnt going to be a world beater, he wouldnt be playing for us if he was but he has to be better than our dear Alex is at the moment surely?

I''d love to see Mulumbu given a good run. I''d stick my neck out and say I''d play him with Howson at home and with Tettey away.

Tetley is about as poorly composed as I''ve ever seen in a prem player... I think delia would have been more composed as our holding player against watford. Standard story of our play is Tettey getting the ball and then taking a few minutes to pass it to one of our wide players who then cut back. I thought Neil had touched on the basics of premiership football which is the fast break when we played against Swansea but this hasn''t carried through. We need Mulumbu holding and then releasing the counter immediately... look at how effective Kante is at that.

Having seen Tettey play for the best part of 10 years now, I am pretty certain that Mulumbu is a better player, once he is up to speed.

Tettey is error prone, can''t pass, slow in his mind, and to be frank, not good enough at this level.

Mulumbu is better, but not by a million miles. Still an upgrade on Tettey.

Interesting to see that they have barely played together. Seems Mulumbu was brought here to compete with Tettey, not play alongside him.

I guess AN wants a ball playing DM next to a tackling DM, which makes sense.

[quote user="Mooney"]We need Mulumbu holding and then releasing the counter immediately... look at how effective Kante is at that.[/quote]

True, Mooney. Kante has been superb for Leicester this season, and is one of the main reasons Vardy and Mahrez are grabbing the headlines. Great player.

But then again, 90% of the readers of this forum have never heard of him...let alone can they list more than 3 players in the Leicester team...

[quote user="grefstad"]Kante has been superb for Leicester this season, and is one of the main reasons Vardy and Mahrez are grabbing the headlines. Great player.

But then again, 90% of the readers of this forum have never heard of him...let alone can they list more than 3 players in the Leicester team...[/quote]Quit it with your condescending horse$hit. Why make a perfectly valid and interesting point about the important role Kante has played this season, and then envelop it in yet another barb about how basically everyone is thicker than you are? Just focus on posting the relevant and interesting stuff, and stop attacking everyone all the time!

[quote user="PaulineFowler"]I sometimes wonder if I watch the same games.

Tettey is without doubt the best we have. Hence the fact he is the only midfielder that never gets dropped.[/quote]Thanks for that Alex''s mum.

Tettey is the best tackler, and the worst passer.

As an all round player Mulumbu is a better footballer and could prove costly unless we give him a run and see what he actually does contribute, just look at gary oneil and his impact in the last few games.

Will certainly be games this season that require tettey but can''t see why mulumbu hasn''t had a run

He''s been excellent in the two outings he''s had for us at Everton and Chelsea.

O''Neil coming in and doing ok has perhaps changed Neil''s plans but I have felt all season that when both fit Tettey and Mulumbu is the way to go as our midfield 2 to give the defence a real screen. I would still like to see us do this now they are both fit. Can then play 4 attacking players in front of them because Tetts and Mulumbu are athletic enough to provide plenty of cover.

Some of the posts above (most by mysterious non regular posters and who remind me of Jaemae with his hatred of Hooper) are laughable in my view. Tettey has generally been our best midfielder and is certainly one of our most important players. Had a couple of more iffy games recently but until the last couple of weeks had held the midfield together practically on his own, often doing the work of two players.

Agreed Jim.

As for Mulumbu''s absence, I''m wondering if it''s down to recovery. Perhaps he did too much too soon. I fully expect to see him starting again before long.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Agreed Jim.

As for Mulumbu''s absence, I''m wondering if it''s down to recovery. Perhaps he did too much too soon. I fully expect to see him starting again before long.

[/quote]

I hope so Nutty. I think he and Tettey together can give us a physicality and ability to dominate the midfield that we''ve rarely had at this level.