Sign in to follow this  
unique

When did Norwich last get lucky?

Having watched Watford earn a point against Chelsea thanks to a carefree handball from Matic and a massive deflection for Ighalo.

Swansea gaining three points from a freak goal.

Aston Villa getting away with a handball by Westwood in the box, therefore finishing with a draw.

When did Norwich last get lucky?

I don''t quite know how Villa got away with that blatant handball. Hopefully their luck will change tomorrow and we finally get a bit.

We are so overdue a penalty. Have we been awarded one at all this year? All the pushes, trips and shoves go unpunished when we are in the opposition box but never the other way round.

Had several shouts for a pen but not one given which isn''t a total surprise,off the top of my head we seem to have conceded 6-7 ? I said weeks ago that we wouldn''t be given a pen all season and can''t see that changing.

I always meet my Watford friend for a Sunday beer when neither of our teams are playing of course. I sent him this thread just to get his opinion. His joke was we were lucky not to lose by more against Watford and sadly I think he had a point. Offside given for a perfectly good goal and a lot of possible penalties for our defender with insider knowledge. He also said the Chelsea opener was lucky as it was a terry header that hit another Chelsea player before falling perfectly to Costa. I had to watch it again on match of the day and he was right. Are other clubs more lucky than us or is it what we all see for our own club. They say you create your own luck. I still think if you attack you get more luck.

We discussed this in a thread the other day.I think we just don''t have the tricky, pacy players bursting into the box that win penalties.Or maybe we are just a bit too honest / naive?

A mix of naivity, nice, well behaved players, no Holty-like tricksters, and we don''t create our own luck. How many deep runs from midfield do you see our mids make?

At the risk of being a bit obsessive about penalties, I will point out we have not had one in 45 Premier league matches (Hooper vWest Ham) or 105 away Premier League games. Ipswich 1994.

[quote user="Year of the tiger"]At the risk of being a bit obsessive about penalties, I will point out we have not had one in 45 Premier league matches (Hooper vWest Ham) or 105 away Premier League games. Ipswich 1994.[/quote]

And there you have the stat that''s difficult to explain away. But I''m just accepting of it now. However, as I said in the thread the other day, I''m still waiting for another overhead kick goal to be disallowed....

Well done Highland in finally finding a negative for the Play Off Final. Your challenge for the New Year is to find a positive for Lennon at Bolton. I know you think he''s over achieving with the hand he was dealt but to be honest I''m struggling to go with that...

The stone wall penalty we had turned down at home to Palace for a 2 handed push in the back of Bassong just as he was about to knock it in from about 5 yards. Happened just moments after the perfectly good goal scored by Jerome. Still waiting for that one to even out as we always get promised.

But if we were lucky to be only one goal down that was achieved through footballers on the pitch and not influenced by officials. When was the last time we got lucky thanks to officials. YOTT''s stats should tell you all you need to know. And I''m still waiting for another overhead kick goal to be disallowed...

Maybe today, when that Villa clearance fell right on Howson''s foot, and again when the ref told Rudd to take the goal kick and not wait for the substitutions of Mbokani and Wes apparently ...

That''s just stuff that happens in football matches every week. What I call getting lucky is like the penalty awarded  to Stoke in added on time today. And no we don''t get that. With no away penalties whatsoever in the PL since 1994 we obviously have never had an undeserved one in all that time. Let alone one given to us to win a game like Stokes.

The sort of gift we do get is having the only disallowed overhead kick goal of the season.

Thankfully we have a manager who will use these things to fire up the team and build a siege mentality and not one who will dwell on it.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]I think the Howson handball for the 3rd goal on Saturday qualifies for this one.Maybe our luck is finally starting to even out - just at the right time too.[/quote]
I think it was fairly even on Saturday - Mitrovic''s goal was a misplaced header which looped luckily over Ruddy after deflecting from the centre-back.  In its own way it was as lucky as our winner.
I suppose I''m saying I want our full quota of luck to still be available.

Both teams got their fair share of luck in that game to be honest. But you won''t find one Newcastle fan who would begrudge us the win so it''s not important.

The way the ball looped off Bennett''s shoulder was unlucky, the penalty was stonewall but it came from a poor cross and the ball just bounced awkwardly, Newcastle didn''t do much to force the decision. I could see how our last goal could have been ruled out, but we''ve had more than our fair share of bad luck this season so it doesn''t really matter.

We need to stay up to keep our big players and establish ourselves. Newcastle could really do with a relegation to have a clear out restructure their club and turn the poisonous atmosphere. Both teams got what they deserved from that game.

If there is any justice we''ll be the team to survive. We kept our manager, stuck with the team during the lows this year and a relegation would do us no good whatsoever, we have a great structure in place. The opposite is true for the other 3 teams

We are definitely still significantly on the minus side when it comes to luck this season. The Lallana goal from Liverpool in "that game" still annoys me that he mishit it into the ground and it popped up right overt the keeper for their win. But there have been many others. If we get our luck in these key 6 pointers then it will not be anything that we don''t deserve.

From the angle facing the goal it looks like Howson''s was a definite hand ball - however, look at it from the reverse angle and it appears to hit stomach and then knee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDLh0-8l7Y8

[quote user="Year of the tiger"]At the risk of being a bit obsessive about penalties, I will point out we have not had one in 45 Premier league matches (Hooper vWest Ham) or 105 away Premier League games. Ipswich 1994.[/quote]That''s an incredible statistic actually.

[quote user="Ian"]From the angle facing the goal it looks like Howson''s was a definite hand ball - however, look at it from the reverse angle and it appears to hit stomach and then knee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDLh0-8l7Y8[/quote]No, it was definitely handball. Just pleased the ref''s decision went with us for a change.

Difficult to say, I''ve seen it from several angles now and each one I think the opposite each time I look at it.
I will consider us lucky that ref didn''t give it regardless of right or wrong but frankly a bit of luck that is long overdue for us!

[quote user="Ginja"]Difficult to say, I''ve seen it from several angles now and each one I think the opposite each time I look at it.
I will consider us lucky that ref didn''t give it regardless of right or wrong but frankly a bit of luck that is long overdue for us!
[/quote]A referee''s decisions, good or bad, have nothing to do with luck. Luck, or to be lucky, is when a sudden gust of wind takes the ball into the net when it would have other wise gone wide of the post.