Sign in to follow this  
willo

New Chairman... This should be fun....

Sometimes I absolutely despair at the people who criticise the people who run the football club.

Good,honest, blue collared working class lad. It''s about time we had ''one of us'' on the board. Good luck to him.

[quote user="Icecream Snow"][quote user="whoareyou"]Fixed that for you.The man who was part of the team that bankrupted the Nation for generations to come.The amateurism of the Board is quite startling at times.[/quote]Whilst Gordon Brown''s and Ed Balls ego is pretty large, both had a very limited impact on creating a global banking crisis. The Fed having near zero interest rates for seven years, crash of Lehman brothers, pretty much every US investment bank needing to be taken over, had sod all to do with either of them.[/quote]Taking all the legal and sensible controls away from the Bank of England and setting up another quango ( The FCS) to take their place, which they could control by appointing the staff was everything to do with Balls and Brown.

[quote user="9Зvintage"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Before Bowkett joined the board in 2009 he had been an associate director and a obviously a fan as are his family.[/quote]I stand corrected, I didn''t know that.[/quote]

You''d think that someone who has benefitted from higher education would know that you should always do your research.

[quote user="Herman "]Good,honest, blue collared working class lad. It''s about time we had ''one of us'' on the board. Good luck to him.[/quote]
I suspect there''s at least a hint of an oxymoron in there somewhere.
As with all decisions at a moment in time, whether this turns out to be a good move for Norwich City FC, the proof will be in the pudding ( no pun intended ). However, one thing can be stated with a fair amount of accuracy, there is already considerably more divided opinion on this appointment than was the case when Alan Bowkett took on the role, and the general consensus of support for him turned out to be justified in the subsequent improvement in the fortunes of the club.
I know very little about Mr. Balls other than what I have read and listened to from him on videos. Obviously, Mr. Bowkett''s approach/experience in life was to use business decisions to lead to a better place. Mr. Balls experience appears to be based on ideas to lead to a better place. Both approaches can contribute to a positive outcome. Personally, my life experiences have taught me to trust the former more often than the latter. However, the affect on our club can only be measured over the passage of time....not now. We shall see. 

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="9Зvintage"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Before Bowkett joined the board in 2009 he had been an associate director and a obviously a fan as are his family.[/quote]I stand corrected, I didn''t know that.[/quote]You''d think that someone who has benefitted from higher education would know that you should always do your research.[/quote]This is one of the purposes of a football message board, a nice civil discussion where I learn something new from another poster. I can''t see anything wrong with that.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]Nepotism and Cronyism.......at its finest......[/quote] indeed good commonsense to recruit people you already have knowledge of as anyone in business knows

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"] Thirdly, there has been a whisper (it has reached me and some others) that we may be considering ditching the live-within-our-means model. In terms of long-term strategic thinking as to whether that is a good idea and - if so - to what degree, Balls is qualified for that job as well.[/quote]We couldn''t find anyone in the world better qualified for that job then.Unless we can lure that one eyed Scotch bloke out of retirement.[:D][/quote]Well, ricardo, the original club statement talked about new directors plural, so presumably there is at least one more to come. Perhaps it could be Gordon Brown...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"] Thirdly, there has been a whisper (it has reached me and some others) that we may be considering ditching the live-within-our-means model. In terms of long-term strategic thinking as to whether that is a good idea and - if so - to what degree, Balls is qualified for that job as well.[/quote]We couldn''t find anyone in the world better qualified for that job then.Unless we can lure that one eyed Scotch bloke out of retirement.[:D][/quote]Well, ricardo, the original club statement talked about new directors plural, so presumably there is at least one more to come. Perhaps it could be Gordon Brown...[/quote]

Or maybe Mick Dennis.......That would be amazing.......

Yep but as much as I don''t like nepotism and Cronyism studies show it is actually the most successful policy as anyone who has recruited off the open mkt would know.

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"] Thirdly, there has been a whisper (it has reached me and some others) that we may be considering ditching the live-within-our-means model. In terms of long-term strategic thinking as to whether that is a good idea and - if so - to what degree, Balls is qualified for that job as well.[/quote]We couldn''t find anyone in the world better qualified for that job then.Unless we can lure that one eyed Scotch bloke out of retirement.[:D][/quote]Well, ricardo, the original club statement talked about new directors plural, so presumably there is at least one more to come. Perhaps it could be Gordon Brown...[/quote]

Or maybe Mick Dennis.......That would be amazing.......[/quote][:(][:''(]

Maybe the next director to be appointed will be Hugh Jackman, director of theatrical performances on the pitch

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"] Thirdly, there has been a whisper (it has reached me and some others) that we may be considering ditching the live-within-our-means model. In terms of long-term strategic thinking as to whether that is a good idea and - if so - to what degree, Balls is qualified for that job as well.[/quote]We couldn''t find anyone in the world better qualified for that job then.Unless we can lure that one eyed Scotch bloke out of retirement.[:D][/quote]Well, ricardo, the original club statement talked about new directors plural, so presumably there is at least one more to come. Perhaps it could be Gordon Brown...[/quote]

Or maybe Mick Dennis.......That would be amazing.......[/quote][:(][:''(][/quote]

Mick Dennis would take sycophantic cronyism to another level.

[quote user="T"]Yep but as much as I don''t like nepotism and Cronyism studies show it is actually the most successful policy as anyone who has recruited off the open mkt would know.[/quote]

No doubt you''ve recruited off the open market.....as well as inventing the wheel......

Interesting article by Mick Dennis here:

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2015/12/27/ed-balls-pugnacious-bullish-political-bruiser-man-of-principle-but-above-all-else-a-proper-norwich-city-fan/

Apologies if it''s been posted before-not read the whole thread.

Well this is disappointing.

Not the appointment, just the lack of balls puns. Morty has even requested them.

Unfortunately all I can think of is I bet his brother Duncan is great at basketball.

[quote user="T"]No just recruited and sacked a number o people.[/quote]

Of course you did........In between shootin'' ''em up on Call O'' Dooty and your mum giving you a supper of milk and digestives.....

[quote user="hogesar"]Well this is disappointing.

Not the appointment, just the lack of balls puns. Morty has even requested them.

Unfortunately all I can think of is I bet his brother Duncan is great at basketball.[/quote]I did all my best punning on twitter, sorry[:(]

[quote user="alartz"]What kind of appointment is this?

A f**king politician in charge of a football club? Oh dear whatever next.[/quote]Did you have someone else specifically in mind?

Interesting appointment, I''ll judge him on where the club is in a few years time as opposed to his unrelated career as a politician

If another director gets appointed then it really should be a football person, ideally an ex-player/manager. Not sure about ex-managers, but there must be plenty of ex-players to choose from.

When another director comes in they should bring in £ and support where the club is going. Any interfering board member on the playing side causes problems.

I think it is a great appointment a Norwich man and he will have great national connections and abilities in managing our club. Get over the political history, a great appointment for our club. Could have done a lot worse.

"alartz"

What kind of appointment is this?

A f**king politician in charge of a football club? Oh dear whatever next.

Is there anything the club does that makes you happy?

Not sure that''s such a good idea 93v. It rarely works. Francis Lee at Citeh springs to mind. Bobby Charlton could be a director at Man U? If so its probably like an ambassador.

Smith and Jones have a huge amount of contacts in the game who would happily advise them. And have done so in the past. They are hugely respected within the football world.