Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Norwich in 10m euro bid for Inter defender Andrea Ranocchia

Essjayess wrote: "gossip, rumour and hot air and short on hard reliable source material". 
Plenty of evidence on here that a propensity to gossip rumour and hot air aren''t confined to the Italian media, wouldn''t you say? [;)] [:D]

The defense has been smothering lately. Opponents may dominate possession, but good scoring opportunities resulting in goals against are few and far between. Not counting penalties, and the one given Spurs didn''t save a goal when the dubious foul was commuted, we haven''t conceded more than 1 in a while. The games we''ve looked bad in were not because of defense but more because we couldn''t generate much going forward.

So it''s more a midfield thing, being unable to maintain possession long enough to set up sustained attacks.

The points being A) it may be a new strategy that is the secret to

o our success, so who actually starts at CB is somewhat incidental, and B) a little more stability in the lineup can go a long way to establishing a better attacking game as the players don''t need to spend half the match getting used to one another.

So if Pinocchio doesn''t want to cut ties with Inter and be a real CB, he and Jiminy can stay home and let Geppetto pull the strings.

Completely agree westcoast, there is that nearly everywhere one looks, but this thread is about Ranocchia, and i was highlighting the Italian media and so called sources in relation to Rano, also in connection with similar gossip we have endured in connection to a host of italian players allegedly,  this window and last one to.Happily right now, we have City wins to smile about, we may not have Rano but we got Ryan, and this new year has started much better than last one.

[quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]The defense has been smothering lately. Opponents may dominate possession, but good scoring opportunities resulting in goals against are few and far between. Not counting penalties, and the one given Spurs didn''t save a goal when the dubious foul was commuted, we haven''t conceded more than 1 in a while. The games we''ve looked bad in were not because of defense but more because we couldn''t generate much going forward.

So it''s more a midfield thing, being unable to maintain possession long enough to set up sustained attacks.

The points being A) it may be a new strategy that is the secret to

o our success, so who actually starts at CB is somewhat incidental, and B) a little more stability in the lineup can go a long way to establishing a better attacking game as the players don''t need to spend half the match getting used to one another.

So if Pinocchio doesn''t want to cut ties with Inter and be a real CB, he and Jiminy can stay home and let Geppetto pull the strings.[/quote]
Largely agree with all of that Gainer, except for your saying that the loss of fluency in attack is "more a midfield thing". IMO it is also down to playing "an old fashioned centre back" (Bennett) instead of a "modern centre back" (Martin). It''s all very well getting your head or your boot to the ball to clear danger, but if in doing so you keep giving possession back to the opposition your midfield are neutered as far as building attacks is concerned. Earlier in the season, with Martin at RCB, the stats showed our attacking play weighted towards the RH-side, with Martin being given the ball to get attacks moving. We''ve lost that now. Like you, I think that, from the defensive point of view, "who actually starts at CB is somewhat incidental", the primary reason for our improved solidity being better defending as a team. There is some reason to think it is also AN''s view; he restored Martin at RCB against Everton, until Wisdom got injured. Once an alternative RB is available for selection, we''ll see who AN actually prefers in that RCB role.

Congrats for picking up on the reports that are now 4 or 5 days old slim, this Rano story is now stale, it was clear and plain nearly a week ago that he was going to Bologna. Lets move on.

It might not be dead yet Essjayess, apparently Norwich upped their wage offer to Ranocchia over the weekend to try and convince him to come to England.

Also, it has been suggested that the meeting between Bologna and Inter is more about them trying to save the deal, rather than finalising it.

Inter are falling foul of the FFP rules, having spend a shed load of money in the summer, they need the cash from Norwich and not just a loan deal. Wouldn''t be surprised if they rejected Bolonga''s offer and push the player Norwich''s way. He wants to go to the Euro''s and he won''t make it whilst not playing for Inter (not sure he''d make it whilst playing for Norwich either, but it''s a better chance).

For me, the main concern is many in Italy (not just Inter fans), think he''s a bit rubbish.

Well, firstly, if Rano really doesnt want to come to Norfolk, and secondly, hes regarded by many Italian football fans as  rubbish anyway, thats not really a great onus for City fans wanting him here  i would say, especially as its reported it would cost City 10 mill euro.Besides, i know nothing about Inter and the FFP rules, but i do know transfer dealings between Italian clubs domestically seem to be very different to how they are done here. Im certain Inter and Bologna will conjure up some kind of working formula to allow Rano to play for Bologna.

[quote user="Essjayess"]Congrats for picking up on the reports that are now 4 or 5 days old slim, this Rano story is now stale, it was clear and plain nearly a week ago that he was going to Bologna. Lets move on.[/quote]

Thanks, do I win a badge, moron?

Just after I posted Sky Italia were saying the Bolonga/Inter meeting hadn''t gone well as Inter wanted more money.

Obviously these reports may not be accurate, but as people have been saying Ranocchia to Bologna is a done deal for a while now, and nothing has been confirmed yet, it does suggest there might be some kind of problem.

As for spending £10m on a player who doesn''t want to be here, it is about obtaining the next level of player. There won''t be (m)any players with the extra level of quality needed, who will want to come to Norwich. They will need to be ''convinced'' with money. Pretty much every player who turns out for Norwich is only at the club for a couple of reasons, Premier League exposure and money - if the club only bring in players who are desperate to play for the club, then the club will never improve.

Well ive never said its as yet a done deal, clearly it is not, but these meetings between domestic Italian clubs rarely work out  at the 1st meeting. I remember the Destro situation was similar, took a few days of haggling. But the guy wants to go to Bologna, and im confident Bologna will find the solution to make Inter satisfied. Of course theres a 3rd option, Rano just stays where he is, warming his backside on the bench.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Pretty much every player who turns out for Norwich is only at the club for a couple of reasons, Premier League exposure and money - if the club only bring in players who are desperate to play for the club, then the club will never improve.[/quote]

Correct, Bethnal. But I think you will struggle to get some people in here to admit it. Some seem to believe in the romantic idea of a great foreign player coming to play for Norwich "because he loves the area", it is a "nice place to live", "great for kids", etc. Dream on.

It is all about exposure in the Premier and wages.

Anyone seen writings about the approx level of wages Ranocchia is on at Inter? Obviously not common knowledge, but someone may have seen something somewhere...

My guess is somewhere in the interval 40-60k/week.

As Bethnal has alluded to already, the thing which concerns me the most here is that many people in Italy (both fans and pundits alike) simply don''t seem to rate him.

I notice the Italian football correspondent Gabriel Marcotti has referred to it as a very odd signing for an English team and one he doesn''t think would be a success. Marcotti said that he was once very highly rated but has fallen a very long way in a short space of time.

Whilst any signing is a significant gamble, the idea of us committing so much money in transfer fees and wages to a player with so many question marks again his name is very worrying.

As we have seen with Hooper and Van Wolfswinkel, these signings simply have to work for a club like Norwich otherwise they will severely handicap you in the transfer market for a long time to come.

[quote user="grefstad"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Pretty much every player who turns out for Norwich is only at the club for a couple of reasons, Premier League exposure and money - if the club only bring in players who are desperate to play for the club, then the club will never improve.[/quote] Correct, Bethnal. But I think you will struggle to get some people in here to admit it. Some seem to believe in the romantic idea of a great foreign player coming to play for Norwich "because he loves the area", it is a "nice place to live", "great for kids", etc. Dream on. It is all about exposure in the Premier and wages.[/quote]

Truly shocking use of another person logic to try and validate your stupidity. You were arguing about why players won''t come, BYG is explaining why players will come, there''s a difference that even you should be able to understand.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

Truly shocking use of another person logic to try and validate your stupidity. You were arguing about why players won''t come, BYG is explaining why players will come, there''s a difference that even you should be able to understand.

[/quote]

Ahh..the brilliant TCCANARY is "shocked". He has read a perfectly good argument of why (good, international) players would ever come to Norwich (wages and Premier league exposure), and he is "shocked". The guy even manages to add an insult into the same post. Well done.

Searching the forum for my posts, in case you find something to argue about?

[quote user="grefstad"]Anyone seen writings about the approx level of wages Ranocchia is on at Inter? Obviously not common knowledge, but someone may have seen something somewhere...

My guess is somewhere in the interval 40-60k/week.[/quote]In the last hour or two Tuttosport  report the initial stumbling block between Inter and Bologna was Ranocchias 2 million euros a season wages, but that Inter and Bolgna were adressing the situation.

[quote user="Jacko"]Whilst any signing is a significant gamble, the idea of us committing so much money in transfer fees and wages to a player with so many question marks again his name is very worrying.

As we have seen with Hooper and Van Wolfswinkel, these signings simply have to work for a club like Norwich otherwise they will severely handicap you in the transfer market for a long time to come.[/quote]I generally agree with your sentiments on big money players. But at least on the transfer fee we''d be paying around 15% less than when we bought RVW due to the £/€ rate going in our favour. €10m is around £1.25m cheaper than it was 2.5 - 3 years ago.

[quote user="Essjayess"]

In the last hour or two Tuttosport  report the initial stumbling block between Inter and Bologna was Ranocchias 2 million euros a season wages, but that Inter and Bolgna were adressing the situation.[/quote]

Thanks, Ess.

2 mill EUR is approx 1,5 mill GBP, which again is around 30k pounds per week. Should be within our wage structure then, even when given a raise to 40-45k/week.

Ya i seem to recall amidst all these reports mention of City paying him 3 mill euro a year wages, which if true, would seem to be comparable, if not even more than hes getting at Inter. For sure in this instance, this player would not be turning down City because of a drop in wages but for the other argued about reasons.

At least this is happening at the start of the window.  I wonder if this is partly about getting the club some profile with agents for other European players ?

Can anyone give me an example of a current Italian international moving to a newly-promoted Prem team ?

I just can''t see it happening like all the recent examples so I am hoping it is getting it publicised that we''re in the market for a CB and are able to pay serious money.

[quote user="Essjayess"]Ya i seem to recall amidst all these reports mention of City paying him 3 mill euro a year wages, which if true, would seem to be comparable, if not even more than hes getting at Inter. For sure in this instance, this player would not be turning down City because of a drop in wages but for the other argued about reasons.[/quote]

Hmm...if he is turning down a 50% increase in wages (supposedly), there must be good arguments for him to stay in Italy...or good arguments in general for him not to come to Norwich (uncertain future if relegation, possible loss of place in the EURO2016 squad, new country, does not speak the language well enough, small club almost unheard of in Italy, etc.)

Could be many reasons, but if we can not get a player of this kind when offering a 50% increase in wages, knowing that players have short careers, and that wages/money would, for most, perhaps be the biggest reason to move (maybe apart from winning trophies/honours), I struggle to see how we can get similar players through the doors.

Maybe the guy will be thinking his time at Norwich will be all about fighting off relegation each year (which it probably also will be), and he would like a chance at a club where he could win something.

Dont think moving to Bologna would mean him winning much,  no disrespect but they are not Juve or even Inter etc. Just likely a factor of things, he prefers to stay in Italy, fight for place back in the Italy squad etc etc. Cant diss the guy, its not every footballer that turns down a higher wage for  other more important reasons  in his own mind.Also cannot fault City if all these reports are true. Offering a sum for an Italian International thats actually above the  players clubs asking price, and also if rumours are true, going in again with a higher offer, is a statement of intent that is good to see. Just happens in this instance that the player prefers the surroundings of his homeland to the alienity of Norfolk, probably..we will see.

Also I wonder if any of these players do a google search to find out what''s happened to the career of our record signing after he moved to England to play for us ?  Which could be a bit off-putting for them. 

Whats up with Sky?..they are flashing across the bottom of their sports news studios that City have bid 7 mill for Rano...geeps...Auntie Beeb reported this nearly 5 days ago..not like Sky to be so slow on the uptake.

I have wondered the same thing ICF. An easy thing to do to search and also get links to sites like this. You would get all kinds of impressions. Not all great ones either. I''m sure players and agents do. I cannot see this particular transfer coming off. Naismith a definite maybe.

Reports in Italy that the as a result of the meeting between Bologna and Inter, the Bologna president is now saying Ranocchia is too expensive and they will try to sign Santon instead.

If the rumour that Norwich had upped their bid is true, it looks like it has turned Inter''s head at least.

No disrespect Bethnal, but you are still trying to cling to the idea that theres a chance Rano will come here? He has come out openly and said hes not coming to Norwich or Verona, and althou yes there was some issues with his wages, still seems   theyll work a formula out, or even talk of him joining AC. Paddy Davitt even said yesterday "the Italian defender? was a non starter."