Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Norwich in 10m euro bid for Inter defender Andrea Ranocchia

Only the deluded thinks a partial backwater like Norwich is a pull for (young) footballers. For the ones with family, it is OK, if they are rather average footballers. If better than average, they go elsewhere than Norwich, family or not.

To counter geographical backwater status, we must pay higher wages. But we don''t. Therefore we get the Whittakers, Laffertys, Martins and Olssons of this world.

Young players with talent prefer the lure of the Smoke, where they can spend their not-so-hard-earned-dosh on Eastern European gold diggers, fancy cars, and frequent fancy clubs.

The wage cap, and the wage equality among Norwich players, is likely a dampener in attracting proper talent. If we want a signal signing, we must prepare to pay. But we are not.

So, mediocre pay, mediocre town, family club reputation, prudence with "ambition" , poor scouting network, are some of the reasons we are often found wanting in recruiting top talent.

Writing this on a fecking Iphone was a pain. Applaud me, Morty

I''ve never heard anyone say they want to go to Middlesborough, footballer or otherwise. No offence meant to anyone from there. But pay enough money and show enough ambition and at the time they signed some top international players. As Grefstad says, we must make ourselves an attractive proposition and unfortunately money is the answer. Pay enough and he/they will come.

Weather we should is another debate.

[quote user="grefstad"]Only the deluded thinks a partial backwater like Norwich is a pull for (young) footballers. For the ones with family, it is OK, if they are rather average footballers. If better than average, they go elsewhere than Norwich, family or not.

To counter geographical backwater status, we must pay higher wages. But we don''t. Therefore we get the Whittakers, Laffertys, Martins and Olssons of this world.

Young players with talent prefer the lure of the Smoke, where they can spend their not-so-hard-earned-dosh on Eastern European gold diggers, fancy cars, and frequent fancy clubs.

The wage cap, and the wage equality among Norwich players, is likely a dampener in attracting proper talent. If we want a signal signing, we must prepare to pay. But we are not.

So, mediocre pay, mediocre town, family club reputation, prudence with "ambition" , poor scouting network, are some of the reasons we are often found wanting in recruiting top talent.

Writing this on a fecking Iphone was a pain. Applaud me, Morty[/quote]What figure have we capped wages at?

Agreed. Still think when I come back with some detachment it is a nice area. An exciting metropolis for youngsters it is not though. It is just not a destination city. And it is stuck in the middle of nowhere. Absolute nightmare to get to. Not knocking it for those being over sensitive. Just pointing out the reality with the benefit of some outside perspective. Wages and location are the main factors for most people and don''t suppose footballers are any different. If the likes of Sunderland are saying players prefer London and WBA are saying they can only get crumbs of the table then what for NCFC which has been lower budget. Just being realistic whatever the local flat earth society may think.

I am not in the know of the max wage, but McNally has once mentioned a "ceiling". Reasons to believe this ceiling is likely around 40-50k/week, but it is really a guess from my side.

It is a fine city as anyone who has actually been there and supported NCFC would know. Clearly someone hasn''t and isn''t.

[quote user="grefstad"]I am not in the know of the max wage, but McNally has once mentioned a "ceiling". Reasons to believe this ceiling is likely around 40-50k/week, but it is really a guess from my side.[/quote]Exactly.

Wage equality is also a big thing. Not having one or two players earning a lot more than others is supposedly better for team morale.

I don''t know, perhaps it is, perhaps not. Depending on the expensive high earner delivering the goods or not.

But if we are to get a big player in, give him high wages, it would likely make it easier to lure other high profile players to the club. What it could do to team morale is ofcourse another thing.

Personally I am a bit divided. I like to see us make strides in player recruiting, but in the end a race against richer clubs could well put the club in danger financially.

The solution is ofcourse to spend money on proper scouting and bring players in at earlier ages (more gambling). Benefits could be huge.

Nikolas Nkoulou seems a player whilst being linked with Chelsea and Liverpool would potentially be more open to coming to play for us. Seb could sell the club to him as a Cameroon team mate. We could afford to buy and given Marseille are struggling in a poor French league unlikely to qualify for European football, we could be seen as a progressive move, depending on his family and settling in this area. Playing in the EPL for us is a possible major stepping stone to attracting bigger clubs

[quote user="grefstad"]The solution is ofcourse to spend money on proper scouting and bring players in at earlier ages (more gambling). Benefits could be huge.[/quote]Like having a Category one Premiership academy perhaps?

So easy to say we should be buying Nicholas Umbuntu Djibuti at afk Glasenglaschrnbachen

Tiiiiiiiiiny bit harder than that in practice

[quote user="morty"]Like having a Category one Premiership academy perhaps?[/quote]

Certainly helps. Costs a bit, but will likely give results, with time.

But I am more talking about scouting outside England. Mainland Europe and Africa, mainly.

I''ve messed about this previously, in other threads, and I still dont think Norwich have spent much on setting up a decent scouting network. Other (PL) clubs have more experience than us in this area, and we are lagging behind.

[quote user="grefstad"][quote user="morty"]Like having a Category one Premiership academy perhaps?[/quote]

Certainly helps. Costs a bit, but will likely give results, with time.

But I am more talking about scouting outside England. Mainland Europe and Africa, mainly.

I''ve messed about this previously, in other threads, and I still dont think Norwich have spent much on setting up a decent scouting network. Other (PL) clubs have more experience than us in this area, and we are lagging behind.[/quote]What specific clubs are we lagging behind?

Thing about Nkoulou is even Alex has seen him, if you recall that plane trip to Marseille in the summer, and the reports say Marseille have had a very average season but hes been the one defender constantly good every match. Hes very pacey to, unlike Rano it seems. Honestly, unless City have some unknown CB lined up that even the media havent sussed out, i find it hard to see where a decent CB would come from. Ya maybe Seb could help with Nkoulou, much like Mulumbu had a hand getting Dave here.

[quote user="T"]It is a fine city as anyone who has actually been there and supported NCFC would know. Clearly someone hasn''t and isn''t.[/quote]

The point isn''t whether Norwich is a nice place, it''s about the reputation. As someone who lives away from Norwich, a lot of people (those who have never been) view it as some isolated mediocre backwater with absolutely no reason to ever visit it. I know Norwich is a fantastic city, but grefstad is spot on to say when people are thinking of moving to Norwich for a job, there''s likely to be no attraction to the place itself because it has no particular reputation

While being "Norwich" is maybe a part of the equation, as many point out on these forums, wave enough moolah at a player for wages and he will come. Nkoulou is apparently available for 8 mill euro minimum according to the French media, so, City should offer 12 to 15 million euro (not the base minimum) then offer the guy as high a wage as possible..maybe even raise the cap  if the club have one. Its that important..a really decent CB is the difference  between good chance of relegation and good chance of staying up imo...besides..how much longer have the City fans got to wait for this mythical CB that the club so much needs?

Its not just about money with signing players. these players potentially have wives and possibly young children settled in their early school life. You cant just expect that a club waving dosh at you is going to make you want to go and move your children away from school and settle in another country and not all footballers wives are obsessed by being Wag material. Some even have careers of their own to pursue. This is just touching upon the many various factors to be considered by players transferring away from clubs. Many transfers between English clubs are complicated enough due to things like this. These factors are not decided one night over a cup of tea and a hobnob!

Well according to a Football Italia article he is going to snub Norwich and play for less money at Bologna .So it all starts again just like in the summer .

As predicted by many posters, looks like staying in Italy. Plus the rumours about Bamford get stronger

and nkoulou going to lazio on a free in the summer.

2 targets down for cb. plan c & d next.

OK so, thats Kone, Caulker, Rano and Nkoulou spoken for..i make it that theres been no rumours of any other CB we are interested in apart from Lees at Sheff. Wed and theyll want to keep him for their promotion push.  is not looking good.. maybe Alex will convince us all that Pinto can be drafted into CB at a push..anyway, what do you guys feel about things if City fail to get a CB in?

Just wondering guys, does anyone in the general public really know what the hell is going on behind the scenes, i know i dont, so are all these stories just rehashed rumours? are we really chasing such unrealistic targets( i only say unrealistic because it seems that most players mentioned as targets , dont end up here).

I agree with Club policy of not discussing transfers until they are done deals...it makes sense.

In respect of the question ref us not getting in a CB, sure would love to strengthen that position, but if we dont then our current pairing are doin a decent job, not perfect but decent.

Survive this season and we''ll be a much more attractive proposition to those that we seek.

If we fail with all of the countless CB we have been linked with, which is a realistic possibility, what are our options? Dipping into the championship and gambling on a younger CB (Lewis dunk?) or offering a young CB from a top 4 team first team football??( none come to mind) Or the seemingly Norwich option of trying to sign a foreign, end of contract player whose never heard of Norfolk?? Joel Matip would be a great signing but hugely unlikely, unless he''s best friends with Bassong as he is yet again a Cameroon international.

I think the main problem is that there are not many top quality CB around currently, seen by Man Utd not being able to improve on smalling and Jones, so with the level we are at maybe Bassong and Bennett is the best we can realistically hope for!?!

Less, dunk or Davies prob best from champs. But would like better tbh

While Ryan seb have been OK we have inadequate cover for suspension or injury and need better than OK in any event

Ranocchia can stick the offer up his jacksie as far as I''m concerned if he''s worried about joining us. He''d do well to get in our starting 11 at the moment.

I checked out Zippers post above about Nkoulou going to Lazio on a free,,that report was in an Italian rag...but if you check French media, they are saying this so called pre contract agreement (whatever that means) between Lazio and Nkoulou is non existent, a very close friend of the player saying the Italian report is nonsense. This in no way has much bearing on where this Nkoulou ends up...but for me...it again highlights that Italian sports media are full of gossip, rumour and hot air and short on hard reliable source material.

Italian reporter saying close to signing for us https://mobile.twitter.com/emagiulianelli/status/683333916057538560