Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Norwich in 10m euro bid for Inter defender Andrea Ranocchia

Agree with Zipper. If the selling club and player were happy with the offer this bid would not be made public, the deal would just go through.

And I must confess to feeling uneasy about a player coming into such a key position without knowing the League. I would still prefer us to buy somebody who''s familiar with the English game in the position we are in, in this particular window.

I won''t be holding my breath for this one. However I do believe the Naismith deal will go through once Everton''s fixture congestion is over and it would seem that the Pinto deal is likely.

[quote user="Felixfan"]I heard Mbokani was on £70k per week with half being paid by Dynamo Kiev.[/quote]That wouldn''t surprise at all and will be the main sticking point to signing him permanently.So £8m for Naismith, £8m ish for Ranocchia (and his wages) + £2m Jarvis (and his wages), plus £2.2m Pinto. Sounds like we need to shift some deadwood.

Guess we  can always  try for that Sheff. Wed. CB if  Ranocchia bid is turned down. What was his name...oh ya...Michael Turner.

[quote user="Felixfan"]I heard Mbokani was on £70k per week with half being paid by Dynamo Kiev.[/quote]I''d be totally amazed if it was anywhere near that sum.

Dont know Kiev''s background but didn''t think there had the same sort of bank rolling as zenit etc but would be amazed if they paid that much

The overall impression by neutrals on twitter seem to be that Ranocchia isn''t all he''s cracked up to be. lot''s saying he would be the slowest CB in the league and not a very solid defender. But if Italy and inter have both seen something in him in the past, then I''m sure AN could be just the man to bring it back out of him. Will reserve all judgements until we get him and have seen him play a few games.

can almost predict it now though. We sign him - he plays his first game and it''s less than ideal. Everyone gets on him and skip forward 5 months and he''s our POTS.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Felixfan"]I heard Mbokani was on £70k per week witwh half being paid by Dynamo Kiev.[/quote]I''d be totally amazed if it was anywhere near that sum.[/quote]

So would I.

I''d not believe most of the ''neutrals'' on twitter, Redders - they probably know no more about the guy than you and me; 20 caps for Italy and over 120 games for Inter suggest to me that he''d be pretty reasonable - more likely than not, better than what we have - and I assume AN et al have watched him so know what he''s about. There''s also the fact that IMO he''ll probably stay in Italy.

Just read a report  in French Football Weekly, via Newsnow, touting Nkoulou to Norwich again. Absurd thing is that it states nothing less than 8 mill euro would entice Marseilles to sell him. Are they kidding? Ive seen reports of about every major english  club wanting this guy, inc. Chelsea and Liverpool, hes one of the most sought after defenders whose contract expires in the summer.I would have expected the  weekly to say 18 million or higher. 8 mill euro is a very small sum for such a talent, even for City.

[quote user="Essjayess"]Guess we  can always  try for that Sheff. Wed. CB if  Ranocchia bid is turned down. What was his name...oh ya...Michael Turner.[/quote]

In poll position for comedic post of the year... Right at the buzzer too!

Massive exaggeration saying ranocchia is slow... Yes he''s not usain bolt, but he can move. He''s dominant in the air and a lesson in composure at defending. Seemingly he would be a useful addition. You don''t know until they get on the pitch tho.

Watched a very long YouTube video of him and he looked decent. Can''t say he looks slow either.

Presumably he would come in to take a starting place and he usually plays on the right side of the two CB''s so he''d be taking Bennett''s place wouldn''t he? Not sure how I feel about that though..

Surely we need cover on the left side of the two?

A lot of central defenders are not pacey, not a problem if they''re good at positioning etc

mertesacker is hardly quick but he is part of arsenals defence.

A decent defender does; dont know anything about him but if he is positionally solid, disciplined and can read the game well he will be an improvement. Can only hope that this move, if it happens, helps him to re-energise his career.

Tettey''s Jig wrote the following post at 01/01/2016 2:31 AM:

Massive exaggeration saying ranocchia is slow..Yes he''s not usain bolt, but he can move.

-----------------------

I''m glad he can move, just whenever I''ve seen him play he looked a bit slow. Perhaps instead of saying that I should''ve instead said that he doesn''t possess any sort of pace whatsoever.

I find it amusing that the same people exclaiming we don''t spend are the first, the very first, to penny pinch.

Not a clue!

Everythings in place, City apparently offering a sum that Inter are happy with, but as ever its the player himself...the Beeb are saying Ranocchia is less than thrilled at Norwich as a destination. Same old issues  then, Italians are very insular, and a loan move to Bologna is his cup of tea as its  the safest move. If we were a Man. Utd or a Chelsea of course we may have more of a shout, so i think getting this guy would be hard, our people would  need to sit down with him or his agent and do a persuading job...not easy i can imagine.

"Less than thrilled with Norwich as a destination"?
We have a Jamie''s Italian, the Trattoria Rustica, a Bella Italia, and two Pizza Expresses.
F*cking ungrateful tw*t can f*ck himself with a packet of uncooked spaghetti.

I went on an Inter forum and this is what they had to say about him:

"He is a bit slow, sometimes also clumsy. I feel like he would get bullied too much in EPL.

He is overall not a bad player, he''s just not as amazing as some other cbs were for Inter, so people hate because they want Samuel type quality in every cb."

"He is supposedly good defender, but didnt fullfill his talent, he was once linked to Man Utd fyi. He has been rather inconsistent with us, he can have a good 89 mins, and fucks up in 1 min to cost you a game. Good in the air, good tackling, decent positioning, sucks one on one and he is incredibly slow. He is a confidence guy though so he can be good in all these aspects if he was given a good faith and motivation. The fact that we were in a mess few years ago might be the reason why he didnt fullfill his talent. For now I have no problem with us staying as he should be a good backup, but since we need money we need to sell him, he should be good for midtable clubs like Lazio, but I really have no idea how he''d do in the EPL."

"The general consensus around here is that Ranocchia is not good enough for Inter and that he''s a walking calamity. However I find it to be far more complicated then that. Ranocchia is a very talented defender who was poorly developed by inter due to the extreme instability and the poor seasons we''ve had since the treble year. When things go poorly people typically look for targets to place their frustration. Inter fans are ruthlessly demanding and were especially so in those years, having just come off a 5 year period of excellence.

There is a reason why Inter has struggled to ever develop their own stars. The atmosphere around the club created by Moratti''s trigger happy sacking was such that if you did not win immediately you were gone. This is a guy who''s been known to have several coaches in one year mind you. So how could you possibly think about developing the 22 year old CB when you''re just trying to make it to next month? This type of short sightedness is also what led to the sale of Coutinho.

Ranocchia in his first seasons found his playing time very limited due to the reasons I just mentioned, and when he did play he wasn''t given the chance to make mistakes and develop. When he made a mistake he was benched and the Italian press picked up on that quite quickly. This guy was billed as the next great Italian defender, a new Nesta, so him flopping was a story worthy of selling some papers. Ranocchia was consistently criticized harshly by every news outlet in Italy with little to no support or protection from the club or a manager. Instead he was simply turned into a scapegoat. His confidence has never recovered and in some sort of self fulfilling prophecy he is now a mistaken ridden defender.

That''s why I''ve often said that Ranocchia didn''t fail Inter, it was Inter who failed him. Ranocchia shot to prominence at Bari playing in a CB partnership with our former youth academy graduate Leonardo Bonucci. Ranocchia was considered the superior talent, and he was, yet their careers thus far couldn''t be more different. Bonucci went to Juventus, where he was put into the team and aloud to make mistakes, and boy did he make mistakes, but was he hung out to dry? Never. I guess that''s what being part of a winning team gets you vs being part of a team falling apart under an owner tired of investing and looking for an out. Now Bonucci is regarded as one of the best CBs in Europe and Ranocchia is going to get sold to Norwich City in a January transfer window, no offense.

In all honesty if Ranocchia was a more selfish person and looking out for his own career he would have left Inter years ago. Instead he''s been very loyal to the club despite Conte (who gave him his debut in Serie B) wanting him at Juventus. For example just think how different Cannavaro''s career might have been if he didn''t ask force his move. It''s a sad story really. I hope Ranocchia finds some success somewhere but something tells me the EPL is not that place, it would just be another bad decision in what''s becoming an extremely poor legacy from what was once a prodigious talent."

Interesting points..

Another one

"Anyway, Ranocchia is extremely slow, so he''s very easily beaten for pace and he''s got the turning circle of a semi trailer. Despite being tall, he''s not that strong in the air, and being a lanky dude, he gets muscled off the ball fairly easily. The main point is though, he makes too many stupid mistakes. He''ll often have a very strong performance but then ruin it with a schoolboy error. While he can look quite articulate, elegant and technical with some of the interceptions and tackles that he makes, he''ll then make a stupid tackle, get nutmegged, lose possession in a dangerous area or completely lose his man.

Opinions here are divided because many are of the opinion that if he could eliminate the simple errors from his game, he could be a good defender - especially when he was younger (he''s been here since 2011). Unfortunately, that ''if'' has never occurred, and his games are still littered with schoolboy mistakes.

I agree with what thatdude posted above. Ranocchia is certainly the victim of playing for Inter during some horrific years of mismanagement, a revolving door of coaches and tactics - years which may or may not have ended. The argument is whether those factors are to blame for his poor performance or whether they are irrelevant, and he simply isn''t good enough, regardless of external circumstances."

"Rannochia is awful

If that isn''t enough information let me elaborate

His career really started at Bari playing for now Italy coach Antonio Conte. In the half season he played before he screwed his knee, his partnership with ex inter youth player leonardo bonucci was either the best or 2nd best defensive partnership in the league (from a team that was just promoted if I remember).

Frog, as we call him, was the more rated player from Bari and bonucci signed for juventus. Frog signed for geboa and some roundabout way through Co ownerships signed for Inter. He came 6 months ahead of schedule after we fired Benitez.

Since then it''s been a disaster. We can sit here and discuss attributes and how, for example, a lot of our defensive games have been counter attacking and higher lines rather than appealing to his natural instincts and talents.

Fundamentally, though, he is probably one of the best talented Italian defenders in a decade. The problem he has is that he''s fucking clumsy. He can play like Nesta for 85 minutes and boss a very vital game. But in those 5 minutes he plays badly he will try to control the ball and accidentally lay it off into a strikers path and set him through loose on goal and give away a substantial foul in an awful position to try to compensate.

I''ve written a lot abut Rannochia in the last few years and the real problem he has is his inability to deliver consistent focused performances. He''s a great player who is his own undoing. It''s no coincidence we are doing well and he''s barely played

From a technical perspective he is slow, and as once described by a friend "has the turning circle of a cargo ship". If he played in a team with a deeper defensive line he might fare a bit better, but he is so easily undone by pace, and despite his substantial frame isn''t as good in the air as you would like.

- - - Updated - - -

N many ways Rannochia is like watching an elephant play football. No grace, no elegance, no pace, and awful with aerial balls despite his height.

In the other hand if you work for the board for Norwich he''s awesome and please sign him. We will probably say yes to 50 pounds but 8m is obviously better.

- - - Updated - - -

Regarding the revolving door, pretty much Rannochia is the only constant in all of that. We''ve changed coaches directors owners and every other player on the pitch except Rannochia.

I''m not blaming him for all of intersects problems by any means. But he is to me at least the source of a few of them. He''s behind Gary medel as a cb and possibly even behind danilo dambrosio - a mediocre full back. What does that tell you

- - - Updated - - -

From a Norwich forum

He''s dominant in the air and a lesson in composure at defending

A lesson in composure he most assuredly is not. This guy has never seen frog play"

Reality is that Norwich is not an attractive destination of choice for young footballers, especially foreign footballers. For older british players married with kids it may well be considered a good option but as Sam Allardyce says, who may have a bit of experience, the first destination of choice for foreign players is London then the bigger cities.

The thing I don''t understand is when people say it''s hard to attract players to come to Norwich. How do places/clubs like Swansea manage to attract people like Fernandez, Ayew, Gomis, Bony etc.

If Stoke can persuade foreign players to sign for them I am sure we can do the same. Don''t they tell them we have a mustard factory? And Pleasurewood Hills not too far away.

Seriously would love an experienced Italian international and former captain from Inter to sign but this looks like we are punching above our weight here.

Stoke and Swansea do attract players of similar ilk, but have been established longer in the Prem. They also had well known Managers like Hughes and Laudrup at the time.

We have a great young upcoming manager who is building a reputation for himself and I think trying to attract hungry players from the UK is our best option for now.( Dunk, Lees, Caulker, Naismith, Afobe)

Two established seasons in the Prem, then I think we can become more attractive to potential signings.

Defensively we have to sign some quality. Don''t feel we will have a problem with scoring goals and so far we have not