Sign in to follow this  
unique

Gayle or Naismith?

Had one good game his first one. We were too desperate he wasn''t that keen to come and we made him an offer he couldn''t refuse. If ever there was a pivotal signing for a club it was him and signalled a decline and lack of confidence in management which had never gone away.

[quote user="hogesar"]We are unlucky to an extent, probably some poor decision making too but the fact none of our bigger signings really had a big positive effect is the difference between the prem and champs for clubs of our size.[/quote]
To put it in perspective we had one of the highest net spends that season. I think Webber said it was higher than Chelsea''s. This is why I don''t think you can just look at how much money a team has to spend. It''s always going to be about the players the money is spent on.

Interesting looking back how majority went for Naismith, but we seem to opt for the more versatile players. We couldn''t have been more wrong, and does that highlight just how poor a signing Naismith has been for us.

Wouldn''t you love a Gayle type striker at our club now? No disrespect to Naismith, but he''d be the first asset I''d look to ship out in Jan, as he just hasn''t fitted in, and imho he''s had enough chances and time. Try and recoup some transfer money, and reduce wage bill to get in the players that fit Farkes style.

One factor which never seems to get any discussion is the role of the club medical staff in relation to signings. Dating back at least to Lambert''s arrival, I can think of several cases where players have been signed despite question marks over medical history or current fitness. Vaughan is an obvious example, Surman another, more latterly Jarvis, and indeed Naismith. Such signings presuppose a high level of confidence in the judgement and expertise of medical staff, both of which often seem simply to be taken for granted. 

@westcoast

Under Lambert it seemed to be a strategy, take a gamble on those with injury issues as you''ll get better value. Pilkington was signed while still recovering from a broken leg and it paid off.

My feeling is since Hughton left we lost any semblance of a proper transfer strategy. Even though the RVW/Fer window under Hughton was pretty disastrous on the pitch, it didn''t do long term financial damage as we bought players with resale value. We made decent profits on Fer, Olsson and Redmond, got RvW off the wage budget (temporarily at first) and got a decent fee for Hooper.

Since then it''s got increasingly scattergun. Under Adams we went quantity over quality while under Neil we seemed to sign players in every position but the ones we needed. I''m happy we''ve got someone overseeing transfers now to prevent being held to the whim of different managers.

[quote user="king canary"]@westcoast

Under Lambert it seemed to be a strategy, take a gamble on those with injury issues as you''ll get better value. Pilkington was signed while still recovering from a broken leg and it paid off.[/quote]Yes, definitely a strategy then, but has it ever been dropped? Hughton signed Tettey despite the injuries that plagued him at Rennes; then there''s Vadis, signed by Adams, and of course Jarvis. In itself a discounted transfer fee doesn''t make such signings better value if there''s no added value on the pitch. The gamble paid off with Pilkington and Tettey, but what about overall?

@Westcoast

Overall? Probably not. For me, Jarvis doesn''t fit as part of this strategy because the wages undo any chance of ''value'' in the signings. I can''t imagine the likes of Pilkington or Vaughn were on huge money (could be wrong though) so if they didn''t work out the impact was minimal.

[quote user="Canarymoon"]lol[/quote]Yes, this is a great thread. Nearly everyone, me included, thought that Naismith would be the real deal. It''s a real shame he''s proved to be a complete waste of space.All we need now is for someone to drag up an old '' we''re gonna sign RVW '' thread.Now that would be REALLY hilarious.....