Sign in to follow this  
unique

Gayle or Naismith?

[quote user="CanaryOne"]If Gayle is our idea of strengthening then we really do deserve to be relegated , nowhere near the level required . Is the summer all over again , we  were supposed to have targets lined up that were going to be here early in the window and at the mid way point we are again like headless chickens who dont appear to know who or what we want to bring in ...amateurish .[/quote]

He''s better than Grabban and Lafferty and arguably Jerome.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]Gaismith..........no...........Nayle[/quote]That''s got to be the Spoonerism of the day Thirsty, nice one.

I don''t see either player as that exciting. everytime I''ve seen Naismith player he''s looked hard working rather than inventive so we''d be replacing the unpredictable but undoubted skills of Wes for a hard working Naismith. I think Naismith will do a job for us but i hope not at Hoolahans expense.

[quote user="hogesar"]Are we allowed to choose again? [:)][/quote]You mischief hoggy [:D] Boy, did the Naismith love-in make good reading [;)]

It was pretty obvious at the time. Naismith was always a bang average player who was a bit-part player at Everton. Paying 8 million for him was absurd (and yes, I did say it at the time).

Tbf none of us could have predicted just how bad Naismith would have turned out. I wasn''t on this thread but in Jan 2016 I would have taken Naismith as well every single time. Scouts/management team should have seen it though, was a massive clanger on their part. But that lot identified RVW to lead the line for a PL Hughton team so I guess we shouldn''t be surprised

Yeah I would have taken Naismith over Gayle- we were a Premier League club and Gayle just isn''t a Premier League striker.

I wasn''t over excited by Naismith but he has been a massive let down.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="hogesar"]Are we allowed to choose again? [:)][/quote]You mischief hoggy [:D] Boy, did the Naismith love-in make good reading [;)][/quote]
I was a fan of getting him in too so it''s not like i''m poking fun at others. It is important though - because the Naismith signing has been used to slag the board off a lot over the last couple weeks yet not too many were annoyed by it at the time.

Funny how Gayle isn’t a Premier League striker but has played and scored in it for the last four years or so including this one 😂😡

@Hoegsar

While I see your point, we''re not paid to scout and evaluate football players for a living. So the fact fans were keen on the signing doesn''t excuse those whose job it is to do these things for failing at theirs.

Nobody has a 100% hit rate but our scouting has been pretty woeful in the last few years.

@baldy

Hes got two goals so far.

And last season he wasnt playing at Premier League level, unless I imagined the goals he scored vs us.

Ok he wasn’t last season my mistake, but nor was Naismith, and as you correctly stated he’s scored this season up there, point I was making was people saying he’s not a Prem striker when he actually is

@king

No, we arent paid to scout. But even scouting couldnt really have told us he would have had such a stop start time with us.

Lets be honest, from a scouting point of view he hadnt played that much for Everton that season but when he did he had performed well including a hattrick against Chelsea.

On top of that he had plenty of previous prem experience, had shown some versatility and on top of all that a very good character by all accounts too.

The only negative was if it didnt work out resale would be difficult due to age and wages. But at the time it was a risk worth taking, advocated by pretty much all fans.

@hoegsar

To be fair, I sort of agree with you - you can''t blame the board for the Naismith transfer, they were simply backing their manager at the time. I''d have some questions for those signing off on contracts of the length given to Jarvis and Naismith given everything but I''d imagine that lies at McNally''s door.

Naismith at the time looked like a decent signing. Some players just don’t work out at some clubs. Unfortunately for us that was the case. There are many things that the board have done, and are doing wrong. I wouldn’t blame them for this.

Looking back through these posts and I wrote that both Naismith and Gayle were coming. I was told this at the time by a player of ours I was working for. I wonder what happened to the Gayle transfer as he was adamant he was coming?

While I see your point, we''re not paid to scout and evaluate football players for a living. So the fact fans were keen on the signing doesn''t excuse those whose job it is to do these things for failing at theirs.

i don''t blame the scouts the people we had were doing their job BUT if the manager and sometimes was the case with AN had final say so if the scout said either Gayle or Naismith and AN said well i want naismith that is who he signed

i know for a fact they had lists of players that either he didn''t want or didn''t fancy them

Also the scout who told me that RVW was not good enough for PL football was here scouting for us so they were not that bad at their jobs ! ( i posted at time but can not find thread )

We are unlucky to an extent, probably some poor decision making too but the fact none of our bigger signings really had a big positive effect is the difference between the prem and champs for clubs of our size.