Sign in to follow this  
Splendid Rush

How Many Nationalities Have Played For Us?

21 minutes ago, Pete Raven said:

Been updating this for a while now...

https://www.pinkun.com/stats/city-s-foreign-legion

Was intrigued by the first foreign player to play for City, interesting story.

Joe (José) and Tony (Antonio) Gallego

José and Antonio Gallego came to Britain as Basque refugees in 1937 after their father was killed during the bombing of Guernica during the Spanish Civil War. They spent time in children’s homes in Cambridge and worked on local farms, which was when they started to learn to play football. The brothers played for opposing Cambridge teams, and on one occasion they faced each other when United, with Tony in goal, beat Town 7-2, with Joe on the left wing. Tony signed professionally as goalkeeper for Norwich City during the 1946/47 season. Joe went on to play for Brentford, Southampton and Colchester, while Tony also played for Canterbury City and Biggleswade Town. He also made an emergency appearance for Margate, and was only able to play when a telegraph boy arrived ten minutes before kick-off with his paperwork. The team went on to beat Dartford 7-0 in the Kent Senior Shield match. They both lived the rest of their lives in Cambridge, Joe dying at 83 in 2006 and Tony in 2015 aged 90. ‘Football meant everything to us; it was the only thing we knew about,’ Tony told El Pais in 2012. ‘We got attached to Cambridge and made a lot of friends here through playing football.

16 minutes ago, TCCANARY said:

Was intrigued by the first foreign player to play for City, interesting story.

Joe (José) and Tony (Antonio) Gallego

José and Antonio Gallego came to Britain as Basque refugees in 1937 after their father was killed during the bombing of Guernica during the Spanish Civil War. They spent time in children’s homes in Cambridge and worked on local farms, which was when they started to learn to play football. The brothers played for opposing Cambridge teams, and on one occasion they faced each other when United, with Tony in goal, beat Town 7-2, with Joe on the left wing. Tony signed professionally as goalkeeper for Norwich City during the 1946/47 season. Joe went on to play for Brentford, Southampton and Colchester, while Tony also played for Canterbury City and Biggleswade Town. He also made an emergency appearance for Margate, and was only able to play when a telegraph boy arrived ten minutes before kick-off with his paperwork. The team went on to beat Dartford 7-0 in the Kent Senior Shield match. They both lived the rest of their lives in Cambridge, Joe dying at 83 in 2006 and Tony in 2015 aged 90. ‘Football meant everything to us; it was the only thing we knew about,’ Tony told El Pais in 2012. ‘We got attached to Cambridge and made a lot of friends here through playing football.

Totally Off Topic, but if you are ever in Madrid and have some time to spare, visit the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia (otherwise known as the Queen Sofia Museum, Spain's national Museum). They have Picasso's Geurnica on display there, together with an exhibition showing large and small extracts of the work done by Picasso as he prepared to complete it.

I know virtually nothing about art but this display really moved me, the way it summed up the utter horror of the bombing and the suffering that was caused.

Been trying to think of the right/left half wild foreign player who was more temperamental than Ossie Osbourne

6 minutes ago, Rivvo said:

I didn't see Papa Diop from Senegal in the list?

Pape Diop

Senegal 1999-2000 10

11 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Ah, ignore my above post.

ps. Any idea where the list of all time goalscorers went? It was helpful to see where Pukki sat etc.

That's still updated too. A few pages got lost when we updated the sites earlier this year. I'll get them put back on.

• Like 1

My dad used to say that the best centre forward he had seen play for Norwich was a South African by the name of Alf Ackerman.

Of course we were in the Old Division three then (1951-3), but he scored 31 goals in 66 appearances.

Luxembourg - Sinani

Germany u21 - Leitner 

bosnia - Vrancic 

South Africa pattison 

9 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Does Sinani count given he made 0 apperences for us and all? 😉

I thought that to be fair but surely as a registered Norwich player he does?