Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

So where is the money?.

We were a Premiership team last season, earning approx 18 to £22 million, yes?.

As a relegated side we have a parachute payment of 6 to £8 million this season, hmm?.

Can someone explain to me, just why we have to wait until we flog Francis, before we can buy someone?.

So where is the bloody money?. 

Lost on me, too.  Perhaps we don''t need to wait to buy, just that we haven''t done so yet - time will tell.

One thing though, free transfers often certainly aren''t anywhere near free - signing on fees can count for a fair bit, but 3 of these surely can''t constitute a whole transfer pot''s-worth (particularly when we have netted c£250k from transfer fees and saved 8 players (Premiership level) wages)?

Come on guys, we''ve all supported this team long enough to know how we deal in the transfer market! Remember last January? "No Money" then we spent the best part of 4mil on Ashton. The money is there. The club just aren''t letting on what the deal is. Stop trying to 2nd guess what they are up to. I swear some quality will come through the door before the end of August!

The answer really is pretty simple. Most of it has gone (or will go) on wages.

If you remember, we made a substantial loss the season we were promoted, largely due to the extra wages we paid the loanees.

Then at the beginning of last season we signed eight players all of whom will have been on Premiership wages. We also gave new long term contracts to some of our existing players bringing them up to Premiership wages. Other players will already have had clauses in their contracts upping their wages if we got promoted.

Then in the January transfer window we signed two more players who will also have been on Premiership wages.

Just because our players are on divisional pay, it doesn''t mean that they will have dropped back down to the level they were on before we got promoted. The Board and Neil Doncaster have repeatedly said since we were relegated that we could afford the current squad for this season. To my mind that was always a coded way of saying that the parachute payments would cover the increase in wages this season over and above the last time we were in this Division.

If you add the massive increase in wages to the approx £5.5 million we spent on transfers last season and then remember that the club is over £18 million in debt is it really surprising that we don''t seem to have a lot of cash to splash around at the moment?

Simple really, it''s all gone.

Remember that the club took a massive gamble financially in loaning Hucks and Crouch all those many moons ago, and the permanent signing of the legendary mulleted one was, like the loans, a gamble that needed to be paid for by promoition money.

Then there was all the Promotion bonuses, the fact that we played 2/3''s of 03/04 with a three sided ground, meaning lower turnover, and Nigel''s warchest last summer, albeit a modest one by Prem standards.

Has the Wizard forgotten that it''s widely known that Dean Ashton was purchased with a large proportion of the 05/06 parachute payment? that at the time should have been a significant suggestion that the "Pot of gold" wasn''t exactly bottomless.

There needs to be a reality check from certain people, you can''t just bank your sky money and expect it to be there for all eternity. this is big(ish) business and a few million can be easily eaten up by players and their agents.

[quote]Come on guys, we''ve all supported this team long enough to know how we deal in the transfer market! Remember last January? "No Money" then we spent the best part of 4mil on Ashton. The money is there....[/quote]

I''ll hold you to that Pauly, they''ll all be freebies, mark my words.

No one of any note will be signing for us.

PS. Remember the last time I said something like that, yes you''re correct, Ashton signed!. 

[quote]Simple really, it''s all gone. Remember that the club took a massive gamble financially in loaning Hucks and Crouch all those many moons ago, and the permanent signing of the legendary mulleted one wa...[/quote]

"Simple really, its all gone"?.

If that''s the case and with 18 ''out'' players as our squad, then "all gone" pretty much sums up our chances I would say!.

PANIC!.

Honestly Wiz, don''t panic!

Firstly, we have a lot of quality in the squad as it is. We definitely need to bolster right-back, and perhaps a creative central midfielder would be good, but we have a better squad than we did in our promotion season.

However, I''m sure Worthy is planning to bring a few more players in - strength in depth, and all that. Besides which, we''re not even half way through July yet - a lot can happen in 6 weeks!

Ian

[quote]"Simple really, its all gone"?. If that''s the case and with 18 ''out'' players as our squad, then "all gone" pretty much sums up our chances I would say!. PANIC!.[/quote]

The club is run on a very sound financial basis and has been since the Chase era.  We have a team that IMO is better than the one that won promotion season before last.  We have spent big on Ashton (3 times our previous record outlay) and pay big wages to get the likes of Hucks.

We are favourites with the bookies to go up.

Why let a positive position get in the way of a chance to have a good moan, eh?

We need the players by the end of July not August which leves us less than 3 weeks to bring 5 players in, a tall order I say. People keep saying we haven''t got any money but I clearly remember reading that there was money avaliable irrespective of player sales and we have sold 2 players since then. Several players have also gone and taking account of the wages saved  from them and the divisional pay cuts our wages budget is much lower than last year.

Dean Ashtons fee did not come from the parachute payments but from the share money and the tv money we recieved last year. How is it that other clubs who are relegated are generally regarded as having more money when they come down as was proved when West Brom outmuscled us for Hulse 2 years ago but we continue to plead poverty in the same situation.

I for one will not have the wool pulled over my eyes by the board and if there is no money I would be extremely disappointed. There is no doubt that Delia has done much good for this club but when she says things like we are only little Norwich how can we hope to compete in the prem it sends out the wrong vibes to potential signings. There is only just over 3 weeks until the season starts and we are still 5 players short which is quite frankly not good enough as any new players will not have time to settle in.

Dicky - boring!

Don''t you realise by making yourself a "moaner vigilante" you are actually moaning too?

Why don''t you try using constructive criticism rather than just having a go at anyone who expresses the fact that some parts of our situation at NCFC ain''t as pretty as other parts? Two wrongs don''t make a right, so try being part of the solution not part of the problem. And various other clichés.

I agree that the money IS there, but they are just not letting on. We''ve been here too many times for that not to be the case.

Surly if the board doesn''t say how much money they have to spend (if any!) they are in a better position in the transfer market.  I mean if they said they have £2m to spend, suddenly a lot of players will be worth that if NW enquires about them?

[quote]Dicky - boring! Don''t you realise by making yourself a "moaner vigilante" you are actually moaning too? Why don''t you try using constructive criticism rather than just having a go at anyone who exp...[/quote]

Mook - annoyed you have I by being positive about my club.  Whatever....