Sign in to follow this  
......and Smith must score.

Alex Neil on Canary Call

It''s about time Rudd got his chance. Ruddy has been bang average for the last two seasons and he costs us as many points as he saves.

Those who say he''s done nothing wrong need to take another look. The lack of command in his area is the major part of our set piece failings, and it''s nothing new.

If Rudd doesn''t start next week, he never will.

Why oh why does he keep playing players who r just not performing at the moment.

Howson is just not doing it as with Ruddy yet he keeps playing them and took him way too long to get R Bennett in to back four and try to sort out right back position

Ruddy has gone from being the first name on the team sheet a few seasons ago to being very accident prone and he looks to have a clanger in his locker every game now. I hope he bounces back but he is losing us points in what is becoming a very disappointing season and i think it is time for a change. AN will have to dig deep in his confidence and resilience levels as even when we play well we are getting a draw or worse being beaten due to individual errors. On another day this result would have been seen as a good performance and in large part it was but there is a mental fragility about some of our players in particular Ruddy at the moment. The Swansea game is massive lose that and sad to say the writing is really on the wall for a quick return to the championship

And just to add, that''s 3 points Ruddy has cost us in the last few minutes of two hard away games. What would a point today have done for their confidence?

It must be soul destroying being a teammate and losing points because our goalkeeper can''t catch the damn ball.

AN is already proving an excellent manager - there is very little that is left to move him even further up in my estimation other than if he drops Ruddy.

It''s probably worth pointing out that we only had a chance of getting a point because the opposition keeper fouled up too.

I just wish we had upgraded our centre backs in the last window.

You have to feel for Alex Neil. He sounded very down in that interview.  AN has been incredibly loyal to Ruddy, who arguably could have lost his place after that clanger at West Ham.  He''s stuck by him and yet ends up losing more points because of it.This has been the case with several City players who seem to lack the ability to concentrate for ninety minutes.  Teams don''t have to work for their goals against Norwich. It must be incredibly frustrating for a manager who must now be calling on the board to provide him with some serious reinforcements in January. There''s only so much a manager can do.

Fair enough CC, but these bits of good fortune only happen if you are putting pressure on the opposition in the first place.

It might be considered a churlish supposition, but I don''t think we/AN have had much good fortune (aka luck) thus far this season, and starting with Simon Hooper first time around.

That was just one piece of it in our favour, but not to be.

Bor wrote the following post at 31/10/2015 6:31 PM:

Ruddy made a couple of excellent saves today, before we make him this season''s Steven Whittaker.

------------------------------

The fans don''t decide who the manger decides to drop.

If Ruddy gets dropped for the next game, it won''t be because some fans have suggested it.

Lets not play the Whittaker ''scapegoat'' card.....or the Martin one for that matter.

...or the Redmond one.

[quote user="Bor"]Ruddy made a couple of excellent saves today, before we make him this season''s Steven Whittaker.[/quote]That''s no more than he''s paid for.  What he isn''t paid for is to flap about at the ball, then go charging towards the edge of his area, confusing, in this case Tettey, who didn''t know whether to make way for his goalie or put his foot through it, resulting in an opposition shot at an almost undefended goal, Martin trying desperately to head it away only to catch it with his shoulder and give away a penalty, get sent off, the resulting goal giving Man City back the lead.  Yeah, brilliant goalkeeping.

I''m guessing it''s Halloween every night in your house Yorkshire Canary? ''Disappointing'' this season? You must have had a hotline to the Samaritans when we were here, under Hughton.

if we have a keeper who completely loses his head and composure when we''re trying to hold onto a point away from home,like today....or all 3 points like at West Ham, that is no good to anybody and completely undermines the good work that the team has done in the prior 85 minutes.

Sadly ,with a keeper like Ruddy in his current state, the only sure way we''ll ever get anything away from home will be if we''re 3-0 such as at Sunderland...

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="Bor"]Ruddy made a couple of excellent saves today, before we make him this season''s Steven Whittaker.[/quote]That''s no more than he''s paid for.  What he isn''t paid for is to flap about at the ball, then go charging towards the edge of his area, confusing, in this case Tettey, who didn''t know whether to make way for his goalie or put his foot through it, resulting in an opposition shot at an almost undefended goal, Martin trying desperately to head it away only to catch it with his shoulder and give away a penalty, get sent off, the resulting goal giving Man City back the lead.  Yeah, brilliant goalkeeping.[/quote]
I didn''t say he was "brilliant", I said he made a couple of excellent saves today which many other keepers could not have made.
Well done though on making him sound totally incompetent (he isn''t).  Players make mistakes.  It happens.
If AN picks Rudd next game then I wouldn''t be surprised, but we don''t need to start rubbishing Ruddy.

[quote user="Bor"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="Bor"]Ruddy made a couple of excellent saves today, before we make him this season''s Steven Whittaker.[/quote]That''s no more than he''s paid for.  What he isn''t paid for is to flap about at the ball, then go charging towards the edge of his area, confusing, in this case Tettey, who didn''t know whether to make way for his goalie or put his foot through it, resulting in an opposition shot at an almost undefended goal, Martin trying desperately to head it away only to catch it with his shoulder and give away a penalty, get sent off, the resulting goal giving Man City back the lead.  Yeah, brilliant goalkeeping.[/quote]
I didn''t say he was "brilliant", I said he made a couple of excellent saves today which many other keepers could not have made.
Well done though on making him sound totally incompetent (he isn''t).  Players make mistakes.  It happens.
If AN picks Rudd next game then I wouldn''t be surprised, but we don''t need to start rubbishing Ruddy.
[/quote]
Indeed.
It was a howler but as amply demonstrated by Joe Hart at the opposite end, lapses in concentration do happen. 
The person best placed to decide who is between the sticks is Alex Neil and while Rudd looks an extremely promising young keeper; we had one of those before in Andy Marshall and we all know how that ended up when he was forced to step in for Gunny. 
Dropping Ruddy might act as a kick up the proverbial as it did for Hart, it could also destroy his confidence further and if it was the latter and the Rudd experiment failed, we''d be in a right pickle. Still, it''s all about doing what''s best for the team, Neil has made big calls before, this is another one. 

Dropping Ruddy is fine.

But at 24 years old (not "young" and with considerable match experiance) and still sitting on the Bench is Rudd any better?

It''s an area that needs money spent in January, along with the defence.

Rudd is no better than Ruddy.

He made two saves in the first half that you would expect any keeper in the premiership to make - just because he is diving does not make them excellent saves - has cost us more points than he has earned

OldRobert wrote:

Well done though on making him sound totally incompetent (he isn''t). Players make mistakes. It happens.

He is paid (highly) to make excellent saves. That''s his job. No he isnt totally incompetent, and yes, players do make mistakes, but goalkeeping errors are critical aka as Hart proved today!

Ruddys problem is that those errors are becoming far far too frequent! He needs a break for his own career development!

we are not good enough team to carry people ruddy is not doing his job should be dropped

rudd in for a run of games he looks sharper more agile and quicker

never reward failure ruddy is not the keeper he was maybe never will be who knows but he is not performing to the level we need

as i mentioned on the Declan Rudd thread after his performance at Everton, he''s not a "young" keeper anymore, he''s 3 years older than Butland whom Stoke are quite happy to to entrust as their no.1 and are being rewarded with good perfomances. Its time for us to see if we have a keeper on our books capable of something similar, we will only find out by giving Rudd a sustained run of games.

He''s unfortunate that his only fleeting appearances for us of the past few seasons have been in cup games ,many of which we''ve crashed out to lower league teams when we''ve fielded 2nd XI''s.

He deserves to be judged when playing behind our first choice defence ....and that time has now come.

ruddy hasnt been the same since dave watson leftalthough his injury might have left more of a psychological dent than people realisedim guessing hes feeling the pressure, which is more mental than anything, losing his england place, not leaving for bigger things that were supposedly available, the time out etc etc might have ruined himmaybe dean kiely isnt actually very good at his jobruddy hasnt looked "athletic" for some time either

He hasn''t looked right for some time now. Just as Petr Cech needed to leave Chelsea to get his career back on track I fear Ruddy may have to leave Norwich to regain that top form. He''s been working with the same old (largely poor) Defence for too long. I have heard he has some personal problems which might not help either.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]while Rudd looks an extremely promising young keeper; we had one of those before in Andy Marshall and we all know how that ended up when he was forced to step in for Gunny. 
Dropping Ruddy might act as a kick up the proverbial as it did for Hart, it could also destroy his confidence further and if it was the latter and the Rudd experiment failed, we''d be in a right pickle.[/quote]You don''t sound too confident about playing one of our home grown players! Yes there are risks involved, but consider the risks of sticking with Ruddy. One of these is that Rudd might leave for relatively little money and end up worth many times more at some point in the next few years.For me Ruddy is already looking like a veteran, out-of-shape and mistake prone, a shadow of his former self. Rudd is almost the opposite: youthful, agile and confident.If Ruddy isn''t dropped then Rudd will probably be wondering what more he has to do, or how much worse Ruddy has to get for the manager to make the change. Ruddy has been going downhill for a couple of seasons now.I''d say it appears to be an ideal time to drop Ruddy and give Rudd a run of games to see what he''s made of.

Does anyone know how many games Rudd has played for us in the PL? The only reason I''m against bringing in Rudd for Ruddy is simply because I think it''s too risky as I fear he will be even worse. Personally I think that we should look for a new keeper with good PL experience in January

Watched Rudd a couple of times when he was at Preston. He has great movement and positioning..... although he is of course not the big foreboding presence that John Ruddy is.

The fans and manager at Preston rated him extremely highly and I think he was player of the season ...but my memory may not be serving me well. Anyway I''m sure he will get his time and soon. Posters make a very good point about his age. His time could well be now.

[quote user="UpperBarclay"]He hasn''t looked right for some time now. Just as Petr Cech needed to leave Chelsea to get his career back on track I fear Ruddy may have to leave Norwich to regain that top form. He''s been working with the same old (largely poor) Defence for too long. I have heard he has some personal problems which might not help either.[/quote]

Cech had to leave Chelsea because they got to the stage where they had to choose between him and Courtois......it was a choice of play Courtois or lose him and they decided that they simply couldnt risk that.

There will surely come a time where a similar decision has to made about Rudd as he isn''t going to sit on the bench here for ever.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Neil must shoulder some of the blame......Ruddy should have been dropped after the West Ham match 5 games ago....[/quote]

Exactly!

AN is proving by the week that he''s just not up to the required standard as a Premier manager.

He has to go!