Sign in to follow this  
Budgie

Green Very Overrated?

Here goes, neck on the line time.

I have been reading all the comments about certain City players and I think City fans really do need a change of glasses at times.

Take Robert Green. Okay, he is in the England set-up and over the seasons has made some really fantastic saves.

But he has his shortcomings - one of which is so blatant but ignored - one which makes me feel that at the moment he is very much overrated.

His lack of command of the penalty area.

Compare him against the likes of Michael Schmiechel and for those with long memories, Ray Clemence.

These two dominated the penalty area like no other. If the defence failed by allowed an opponent have a shot from the edge of the area, or fail to mark fully at corners - they received a right berating and bollicking.

Green? He is so quiet and seems to accept most of the errors he sees from the back as either the luck of the draw or well, it''s bound to happen sooner or later.

He must show much more dominance, take over the area, and bollick his defenders for their errors.

Then to my mind the man will be priceless! 

I made a very similar point a few weeks ago. I believe Rob Green could grow into a top class goalkeeper but I do not think he is there at the moment and for exactly the reasons above.

Top class goalies dominate their area, at times they scream at their defences, they push people out of the way and you can see how much it hurts when they concede a goal - they take it personally.

I don''t think Rob is there yet but has potential if he had the right coaching. He is a good keeper but not a great one and I think that has been evidenced by how few clubs have expressed an interest in him over the summer (despite media/agent encouragement).

I have to be honest and say it would not bother me if he was sold as long as the money was invested back into the team. I think Ward would make a decent No.1 with Gallagher and Lewis behind.

This is not a "knock" Rob Green post, these are my opinions and my feelings as to what is best for our club. If he does stay I hope we can develop his potential and make him Englands No. 1. 

Mark .Y.

yawn,boring. we''ve covered this a hundred zillion times,
green was immense last season and if he''s here this season were
very lucky to have one of england''s best keepers at our own
club.

now leave the man and the topic alone

Agggghhhhhh!

First "Worthy Bashing" and now "Green Slagging"!!!!

What will the righteous ones say....

at the moment hes a top class championship keeper and maybe an ok prem keeper, nobody has really said anything else and hes not exactly been bought by Arsnal so i dont think he is that over rated

If he was to leave, he would be the 1st "star" player to go where I had no regrets whatsoever. I think the team can cope very well without him, so I would be delighted if a club came in with a £2 milllion bid for him. A win win situation would be to offload Mr Francis at the same time for a similar fee.

There have been a number of posts recently that have been knocking Greeno, saying he isn''t Premiership standard, and I have defended him. I think he is a very capable premiership keeper, and deserves his place in the England setup. However, I agree 100% with what you say about his domination of the box, and sometimes he appears glued to his line. He is a great shot-stopper though, and his distribution has improved (apart from a couple of glaring errors last season).

People on this board do seem to think people are either great or rubbish, and argue along those lines. I prefer to see this level of debate and analysis on a players worth!

I would say that for a mid-table Premiership team, £3m is a lot to spend on a young keeper. That is why he is still with us, not because he is actually completely rubbish after all, which is what some people have suggested. I would prefer him to stay, his excellent shot stopping will be worth points next season.

Could it be that being a youngster growing up with the club, and having the oldsters like Flem and Malky in front of him since he was a teenager, he hasn''t felt able to shout at his seniors? He needs to get this confidence!

[quote]I made a very similar point a few weeks ago. I believe Rob Green could grow into a top class goalkeeper but I do not think he is there at the moment and for exactly the reasons above. Top class goali...[/quote]

Well, surely if he has the ability to become, and i quote "a top class keeper", it''s better for Norwich to either keep him until that point or sell him for a price which takes into account his ''great'' potential.  Either way it doesnt make any sense to sell him on the cheap because he hasnt quite made it to his full potential yet.  Get real guys and get of Greeno''s back!!!!!

"Could it be that being a youngster growing up with the club, and having the oldsters like Flem and Malky in front of him since he was a teenager, he hasn''t felt able to shout at his seniors? He needs to get this confidence!"

I''m sure that same thought has crossed many of our minds Putney. Just another reason to drop Fleming from the first team. There should be nobody else present to stop Robert imposing his control of the area. This could improve our overall defensive reaction in the box significantly.

Who the hell is Michael Schmeical??? lol

Agree with your point though. He has no command of his penalty box

[quote]"Could it be that being a youngster growing up with the club, and having the oldsters like Flem and Malky in front of him since he was a teenager, he hasn''t felt able to shout at his seniors? He needs...[/quote]

No it couldn''t Y.C., Shackell doesn''t have any problems at scolding his elders does he ?

I agree on Shackell Jim but Green may have a totally different makeup regarding those that he sees as "seniors". I have one son who puts me in my place regularly. I have another son who would not say boo to me but is quite outspoken with his peers. It''s an individual thing I suspect.

[quote]No it couldn''t Y.C., Shackell doesn''t have any problems at scolding his elders does he ?[/quote]

Good call Jim. Wish I had though of it mate.

I felt that Greeno''s command of the box was a breath of fresh air when Marshall left - always ready and willing to scream his lungs out at the defence (when necessary). And for once I found myself able to watch the team defend in the final third without having to cover my eyes.

However, I''ll admit that mid way throught last season Green''s confidence took a massive dive, with such a poor defence in front of him and his lack of top-class experience this is quite understandable. It''s all about whether he has the character to bounce back now. But I still think he''s a massive talent and I''d be sad to see the club let him go without a fight (maybe £3million minimum), although I do have confidence in his deputies should he leave.

I remember watching Green come out of his goal to give Flem a right royal rollocking - and - he got it straight back, plus interest.

Since then, he''s kept himself to himself somewhat. Not a good trait for a goalie.

"Well, surely if he has the ability to become, and i quote "a top class keeper", it''s better for Norwich to either keep him until that point or sell him for a price which takes into account his ''great'' potential."

I would like to see him develop into a top class keeper at Norwich, I''m just not sure that we have the training staff to deliver that -  I don''t think he has made progress over the last 18 months or so.

As for selling him for a price which takes into account his potential, well, if you are selling any asset it is only worth what somebody else will pay for it. I think the lack of offers for Rob over the Summer is a fair indicator of what the Premiership managers think. Maybe his potential is only in our "yellow and green eyes".................. which is really what the original post was about - not knocking him or getting on his back.

Mark .Y.

Would that be the same Michael shmeicel that drives for Ferrari,or Peter Shumacher the ex manu goalie?

Greeno is a top class keeper and the most valuable player at the club in terms of results.  He must stay all all costs.

Totally agree Dicky.

Not a "World Class" keeper in my opinion (and this worries me, because if he''s England''s No.3 then we have a shortage of top class goalies), but definitely the best keeper in The Championship and can surely only get better with age.

[quote]Greeno is a top class keeper and the most valuable player at the club in terms of results. He must stay all all costs.[/quote]

Ill second that mate .Who are these knockers on here dont think a lot of them watch much football.Obviously not Norwich he is total class.

Agree, Always Travelling - I am sure that a lot of the posters on here do not actually watch Norwich play, going by their opinions.  Be interesting to see how many of the pro Francis people have actually seen him regularly since Christmas?

I am disappointed by some responses to this thread. Its not a thread knocking Greeno (despite the subject title), its discussing aspects of his game that could be improved. If you don''t agree with what is being said, why not try saying why you disagree and give some examples to back up your words. Just saying "no he is great you obviously don''t watch football" is not being constructive, and frankly doesn''t make you look like an expert either.

I for one value comments and opinions of regulars at Carrow Road, I can''t get to see my team play nearly as much as I would like, and I know the limitations of gauging player''s stengths/weaknesses from the TV and radio. Isn''t that partly what these boards are all about? Stop being so damn superior just because you can get to games regularly.

If we all agreed on everything this board would be so dull. However, when we disagree, can we remain constructive? We do after all support the same team!

I think Greeno is a good Premiership keeper of whom we are rightly proud, but don''t think he will be ''top class'' until he improves his marshalling of the defence (dominance in the box), and comes for more crosses. If you think he is top class now, IMO you over-rate him. Please feel free to disagree constructively.

[quote]I am disappointed by some responses to this thread. Its not a thread knocking Greeno (despite the subject title), its discussing aspects of his game that could be improved. If you don''t agree with wha...[/quote]

Well said Putney,

The thread asks is Greeno overrated ? My short answer to this was "yes". Because he is I feel overrated by those City fans who rate him to be a world class keeper.

That is my opinion. That doesn''t mean I''m "knocking" him does it ? It is also the opinion it would seem of all the Premiership managers who, in spite of all the paper talk, have made no transparent offer for him.

He is a good young keeper and he may or may not graduate into an even better one, I for one hope he does, but I don''t share the view of those who presently rate him so highly as they do.

I agree that its a little harsh to knock this thread, its been carefully worded to avoid slagging Greeno off and is actually a constructive question, something I crave on these boards rather than the usual "he''s rubbish, ain''t ''e?" type threads.

I think he has the ability to be world class, and agree that command of his box is probably his main area for improvement.  I remember the Boro game this year, the 4-4 - as Hasselbaink was about to take his free kick, Greeno was lining up the wall and was yelling at Flem to get on the end of it to close the gap between player and goal, and Flem just stood there looking at him! Next thing, the whistle has gone and the balls gone right where Flem should have been standing and into the net!  My concerns about Flem deepened at that moment, and maybe its right that Greeno feels he can''t boss the senior players around - he needs to get assertive this season, and maybe Flem being dropped will help that!

[quote]I am disappointed by some responses to this thread. Its not a thread knocking Greeno (despite the subject title), its discussing aspects of his game that could be improved. If you don''t agree with wha...[/quote]

Of course it''s a Greeno knocking thread.

As for being "so damn superior", I have supported Norwich for over 30years and despite living in Brighton I am a season ticket holder and also go to a lot of away games.  I am not claiming to be an "expert" or superior to anyone, but I sometimes feel the comments on this board are very similar to the match reports in the newspapers in that they are based on MOTD highlights or radio/newspaper summaries. 

Green is the best goalkeeper we have had, better than Gunny, better than Keelan.  Why is it some people will never realise what we have until it''s gone.

[quote]Of course it''s a Greeno knocking thread. As for being "so damn superior", I have supported Norwich for over 30years and despite living in Brighton I am a season ticket holder and also go to a lot of ...[/quote]

Green better than Gunny and Keelan?, Dicky.

Bloody hell!, go sit in a dark room somewhere mate, I don''t think you''re acting very normal at the moment, get some help, quickly!. 

[quote]Of course it''s a Greeno knocking thread. As for being "so damn superior", I have supported Norwich for over 30years and despite living in Brighton I am a season ticket holder and also go to a lot of ...[/quote]

well said mate you get something which is class and people cant wait to try and knock him down. hope he does not read all these negative threads on here.we won the league the year before on greeenos saves some people have very short memories.