Sign in to follow this  
vos

Ryan Bennett unfair criticism

I do find it hard to agree that Ryan was badly at fault with Man City''s first goal. It was a well struck corner and difficult to defend when faced with a very tall strong attacker powering in to the box. Somebody should have perhaps been a bit closer to the goal scorer but I doubt it would have made much difference.

However we should learn from the incident in that so far this season we have had our fair share of corner kicks and I believe I am correct is stating that not one has created a direct attempt on goal. I think the deliveries from Redmond, Brady and Jarvis have not been that great as they tend to chip the ball in rather than drive balls in which are a bit easier to score from. Overall I would go so far as to say that if our final ball from open play and set pieces were of a better quality we would have been in a more comfortable league position. The defence is always likely to concede one goal a match in this division, albeit not helped by Ruddy''s lack of confidence in commanding his area.

Otamemdi isn''t "very tall" he''s only 6ft. Bennett is taller.

He just attacked the ball brilliantly but was allowed to do so. It was Bennett''s job to at least make it difficult for him and he failed to do that.

Ryan was stood beside him, then looked away when the corner was taken.

Ottamendi was watching the ball, not looking the other way, he took a couple of steps towards it & headed it.

Lack of concentration on Ryan''s behalf, probably will improve enormously if he gets a run of games, bearing in mind that he has hardly played over the past year or two.

It''s the sort of anticipation that improves with regular game time, it''s hardly surprising he''s a little bit rusty.

Based on what I''ve seen so far he does look to be an improvement on our other CBs and I hope he becomes our first choice starter now.  Basically I think we could get away with Basso/Martin as a regular CB pairing in the Champ, but not in the Prem.

Talking about our CBs I always remember a pub discussion about Rob Newman back in the day.  Someone complained he was slow, to which the answer was that if he was quick, he wouldn''t (then) have still been playing for City.

Indeed, if I''m not allowed to criticise Martin or Whittaker, then no-one should be allowed to criticise Bennett.

And we can all then sit in the dark.

Bennett should have done better I don''t think there can be to much argument, where is perhaps alittle unfair is for AN to come out in the press and mention it, when some of the regular senior players have made individual mistakes time and time. Still I think his obvious frustration boiled over and we are all feeling the same thing.

I agree.

We were so well set up for the game, massive frustration that such a good team effort by manager and players gets undone, the critisism might motivate Bennet though, hope so.

[quote user="Disco Dale"]The whole defence is pants. Midfield is premier league quality and we can score goals.

They are all equally culpable[/quote]Get rid of all of them then?   As for the midfield and strikers, if they are that good, why aren''t we scoring more goals?  (only averaging one goal per match in last five matches, including Everton).

I haven''t seen that much criticism of RyBen. He lost his man on Saturday, but he isn''t the first Norwich player, and won''t be the last, to do it this season.

To be totally honest the whole back five could do with an upgrade. We''re going to have to hope we can outscore our rivals in the important games and start the rebuild job in January, but most likely next summer, if we stay up.

I''ve re-watched the goal after reading this post.  RB is marking his man but as the ball comes in, the attacker gets a couple of yards on him and is left with a free header.  RB isn''t blocked off IMO, he just gets left behind.  It''s the sort of mistake that all our CBs have been making, I hope RB will improve as he gets more game time and more Prem experience.  The header was far enough out that even if RB only made a decent jump to compete with the ball, it would have been hard for the striker to direct the header well enough to beat the keeper.  Often as a defender, that is enough to prevent a goal.  It doesn''t change my view that Basso/RB are our best CB combo at the moment.

Also re-watching the penalty, I can understand Ruddy charging out because he''d failed to catch the ball and the instinct is to go after it to deal with the problem, but when he saw it was falling to Tettey he should have let Tettey clear it, instead he effectively stopped Tettey from making the clearance.  It''s the sort of problem you get from a keeper who''s struggling with his confidence.  IMO it''s time for Rudd to have his chance.

He made the mistake for the goal, yes, but he didn''t look out of his depth at centre half like Russell Martin has at times at CB this season or like Whitaker does at RB