Sign in to follow this  
militantcanary

Transfer dealings in January

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Our spending this January will be a club record for the winter transfer window.[/quote]A pretty safe prediction, I don''t recall ever spending much in January![/quote]It was probably close to £5.5m in January 2012 (Howson and Bennett R). That will be beaten. Potentially by some margin.[/quote]Am struggling to remember how much we spent the time we bought Ashton?

We desperately need £10-15m worth of center backs alone if we''re going to stay up - At least one top quality player on the Van Dijk/Koulibaly level, which we won''t get for under 10m; and a second backup player who I agree might well be an up-and-coming sort. Given the prices demanded now for barely-even-decent Championship defenders (Mings, anyone?) we won''t get anyone who will actually improve the squad for much less than £5m.

Could also still do with a new striker if Lafferty, Hooper and/or Grabban go; although Mbokani is now starting to look like the real deal if he can stay fit.

It''s never been clearer where investment needs to be made or how much is at stake; unless we hit on a serious bargain buy, I''d be very disappointed if we spent less than £20m overall - that would really leave serious questions to be asked of the board.

I''m not convinced the board will gamble any big sums given the situation we are in.

I also think our pool of players available will be limited.

I can see a couple loan deals till the end of the season, I certainly can''t see us spending the millions on over inflated demands of January.

Those expecting to spend big might be in for a tough ride.

I''m not normally one for hyberbole, but if we don''t sign big in the defence in January we are essentially waving goodbye to the Prem riches we thought we''d won in May.

I just cannot see us winning many matches when we will continue to ship goals and sticking Mulumbu and Tettey in front is a bit like hoping the Maginot line will keep out marauders.

It really would be staggering ineptitude if after failing in the summer to fix something which was as obvious as something very obvious to then repeat the mistake in January.

I''d like to see us ''trim the fat,'' by off-loading some of the nearly men, first and foremost.

Perhaps Elliot Bennett and Tony Andreu will attract offers. Perhaps Wednesday will offer enough for Gary Hooper or, preferably, Bournemouth will be back with big bucks for Lewis Grabban. Kyle Lafferty''s stock is currently very high and he wants away to enhance his international prowess.

None of these, IMO and with the possible exception of Hooper, would seem to have enough Premier League credentials to hint at the liklihood that they could make much of a contribution to our inevitable relegation scrap.

It is imperative that quality be put into the defence, whether by a big, big signing (if one is there to make) or by a couple of expensive loanees.

If we were brave, our overall spend could be in the region of £5-8m. Selling E Bennett, Andreu, Hooper & Lafferty could net us £6-8m. Throw Redmond & RVW into that and we should have net sales of £15m. Add the £5m to that and we could spend £20m+.

I can''t see that happening though, and it''ll be a couple of loans to get us to the end of the season, hopefully 2 strong mobile defenders who can concentrate for 90+ minutes.

I do think we have the cash (BJs money yet to find a home for example) and the will to spend it - and well into 8 figures overall; its finding the players that want to come here in Jan that will be the challenge.

Being outside the bottom three (and more preferably mid table) would definitely make that challenge easier.

Agree with all the comments regarding how tough it will be to sell ourselves to high quality centre backs if we are knocking about the bottom 3 ... which seems likely.

Will we go back in for Afobe???

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Agree with all the comments regarding how tough it will be to sell ourselves to high quality centre backs if we are knocking about the bottom 3 ... which seems likely.

Will we go back in for Afobe???[/quote]Afobe is a joke, we dodged a bullet there.We are even less unlikely to land a top defender in January than we were in August.

We screwed up big time in the summer.

Good signings in Jarvis, Mulumbu, Brady, Mkobani, no doubt and credit to the club for that, but to miss out on strengthening the defence was a massive mistake and, as I posted at the time, was selling the manager short IMO.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Our spending this January will be a club record for the winter transfer window.[/quote]A pretty safe prediction, I don''t recall ever spending much in January![/quote]It was probably close to £5.5m in January 2012 (Howson and Bennett R). That will be beaten. Potentially by some margin.[/quote]I b*oody hope so as we''ll be lucky to stay in this League if we don''t.Surely even our tight-as-a-duck''s-a*se Board will relent for fear of missing out on next season''s pot of gold ?