Sign in to follow this  
militantcanary

Transfer dealings in January

I can only assume that having 13 players out on loan is an attempt to clear the decks for what should be a fairly large outlay in January

The Club spent a measly 5M net in the Summer and although spending a fair bit on the 2 loan fees for Mbokani and Wisdom that should have been largely or wholly recouped by incoming loan fees.

On top of having no external debt we also appear to be generating a profit of 3.5M on transfer fees left over from last season Snodgrass etc.

I would assume we will transfer the following players in January

E Bennett -300k?

M Turner -free?

Lafferty - unspecified Greek team 2.75M?

Hooper- Sheff W - 4M?

Andreu -? -400K?

This is a little optimistic but would give us approx 20M to spend in January. The difficulty will be getting much better players in than we have if we are not a few points clear of the relegation zone come January 1

Sell all those.

I would want more for Hooper, or else keep.

Lafferty will be in demand by Championship hopefuls because his reputation has soared of late.

Sell Grabban to Bournemouth, they are adrift of the league in any case.

Use the cash on the defense, plus a striker if poss.

A few more mill. for me because it will be subject to the January mark up, as will our purchasing power.

I have re read the accounts and perhaps someone with an accounting frame of mind could confirm that my intial reading of Debtors and Creditors is round the wrong way

ie we will get in 7.25 on transfer fees and are comitted to 10.73 on transfers made,that may make a bit more sense but still leaves us with a lot to spend.

NOTES TO THE ANNUAL REPORT

For the year ended 30 June 2015

Page 21

16 DEBTORS

Group Company

2015 2014 2015 2014

£''000 £''000 £''000 £''000

Due within one year

Trade debtors 7,632 5,578 7,632 5,578

Player debtors 7,250 1,918 7,250 1,918

Amounts due from subsidiary undertakings - - - -

Deferred tax asset (note 19) 528 524 528 524

Other debtors 702 394 602 292

Prepayments and accrued income 834 898 834 898

Corporation Tax 2,739 - 2,739 -

19,685 9,312 19,585 9,210

17 CREDITORS: AMOUNTS FALLING DUE WITHIN ONE YEAR

Group Company

2015 2014 2015 2014

£''000 £''000 £''000 £''000

Directors’ loans 1,989 2,069 1,989 2,069

Trade creditors 1,688 3,021 1,688 3,021

Player creditors 10,733 11,224 10,733 11,224

Receipts in advance 14,489 10,531 14,489 10,531

Other taxes and social security 5,769 5,155 5,769 5,155

Corporation tax - 2,387 - 2,387

4.5% ''B'' preference shares of £1 each 1,421 - 1,421 -

Dividends payable on shares classified

as financial liabilities 58 58 58 58

Other creditors 357 263 357 263

Amounts owed to subsidiary undertakings - - 350 263

Accruals and deferred income 19,157 5,484 1

It''s the wage ceiling and not the transfer budget.

We could have 100m to spend but when other clubs can pay more per week, we won''t get the big signings.

As I understand it and I think this is right

The Budget is the transfer fees, loan fees, signing on fees, agent fees plus the 1st year of the wages

So a kitty of 20M is not 20M on transfer fees as that will inflate to about 30M in total costs after a year but say 12M on transfer fees, 2M on signing on fees, 5M on wages and agents fees and 3M on seperate loan fees for example.

I don''t accept your main point though. If we up against Southampton for Van Dijk as we may have been in July we will lose out but if we are after some unspecified guy from say Tenerife, Bologna or some other mid ranking teams in the top leagues in Europe we can offer more than they can.

Surely?

I can''t see us spending near £20m in January. Dream on, this is NCFC we''re talking about. The January window is notoriously slow with only the deadwood (e.g. the calibre of our suggested offloads) and a few loan signings. We need to uncover a diamond in the lower leagues or Europe.Regardless of where we finish in the league, the summer window was an absolute shambles.

Despite the fact that we could be propping up the table by then, I can''t see us spending very much in January.

With a defence conceding goals every match by its own mistakes, we surely need one or two players, but I can'';t see the club risking massive debt by lashing out out big money at a time when players cost more than they do in the summer.

What could happen is one or two expensive loans, perhaps superannuated CB or RB. The trouble is that not many clubs are likely to loan us quality.

Whether buying outright or loaned players, I would hope that the scouts, the manager and the Club are already in full all on action mode in searching for those vital defenders.

We were apparently chucking deadline day bids in all over the place, so there must still be that money to spend. And in January, we will be 5months further into the season than we were in August, which has clearly highlighted the need to improve our current defence which AN was trying to do late August. Btw, i hqve been impressed with ANs summer signings so far, hope January window will be equally as impressive!

Who was that centre half QPR got that year in January? They spunked a load of money and wages on him and everyone though he would save them?

Then there was Yobo that Hughton brought in here.

Therer aren''t many saviours available in January. That window is better for bringing in players early and preparing them for the next season. Like Howson, Bennett and...

RVW...

"Gulp"

You better believe it. It''s one centre half for around £5 million and maybe a striker on loan and that''s our lot.

[quote user="ruthers1"]"Gulp"

You better believe it. It''s one centre half for around £5 million and maybe a striker on loan and that''s our lot.[/quote]Wow, I mean, you''re so convincing and stuff, I mean I wouldn''t be surprised if you were an actual board member, what with all this pucker "fact" based information.Thats it, I''m chucking my season ticket at Alex Neil on Saturday.

I''m always patient and then it comes to me in the end[sn]

Chris Samba 12.5m. Was seen as a saviour and envious posts appeared on here.

Plenty of them around...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I''m always patient and then it comes to me in the end[sn]

Chris Samba 12.5m. Was seen as a saviour and envious posts appeared on here.

Plenty of them around...

[/quote]I wish I could be bothered to try and search just who was envious, Chris Samba was a stupendously ridiculous signing, even by the standards of the QPR car crash at the time. I don''t know what it says more about, Harry Rednapp or the slightly unhinged Tony Fernandes ( we proper dodged a bullet there)

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Therer aren''t many saviours available in January. That window is better for bringing in players early and preparing them for the next season. Like Howson, Bennett and...

RVW...[/quote]

Howson was a good''un. Leeds thought they were getting a good deal selling a player with a broken leg for around £2m, especially since could have left on a free in the summer. The new-year window is a good opportunity for getting players in these sorts of contract situations, who perhaps have failed to move the previous summer.

[quote user="9Зvintage"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Therer aren''t many saviours available in January. That window is better for bringing in players early and preparing them for the next season. Like Howson, Bennett and...

RVW...[/quote]

Howson was a good''un. Leeds thought they were getting a good deal selling a player with a broken leg for around £2m, especially since could have left on a free in the summer. The new-year window is a good opportunity for getting players in these sorts of contract situations, who perhaps have failed to move the previous summer.

[/quote]

Yes buddy. Howson was a proactive signing. The likes of Samba are reactive signings. I know what I''d rather see..

we couldnt attract players in the summer, will be even harder if we are glued to the relegation spots when the window opensshould go for demarai gray, sam byram and lewis dunk, if theyve got any ambition we should be an attractive proposition, even if we were bottom of the table

[quote user="iron_stan"]we couldnt attract players in the summer, will be even harder if we are glued to the relegation spots when the window opensshould go for demarai gray, sam byram and lewis dunk, if theyve got any ambition we should be an attractive proposition, even if we were bottom of the table[/quote]These would all be very good signings – Kortney Hause and Dominic Iorfa at Wolves might also be worth a look. If we were going to sign a ''big name'' (Koulibaly/Van Dijk or similar) then the summer would have been the time to do it. In January I''d rather we invest in potential, players who could easily make the step up but will also be more open to staying put if we do go down.

Don''t think we will sign anyone ,as usual there will be a lot of speculation ,and then we will will learn that they have signed for someone else or our bid has been rejected .

These so called promising players will cost millions, just as much as a European based player who is not playing in the championship.

Afobe dealings prove that values can rise ridiculously.

We did mess up the summer. We need to pay some money and look for senior leaders for our defence. It will cost but it is needed.

It was always going to be tight with a number of championship standard defenders, AN ca make them that % better but you cannot help concentration failings. AN said it we need the majority of our players playing at their optimum level to get us points and wins. So far we are seeing a lack of quality means that we have too many not performing at optimum levels and hence lack of points and wins.

West ham away was a huge game and crazy we could not pull that out

Samba was just amazing when I saw him at QPR, like the Mountain from Game of Thrones.  Players just bounced off him but he was so immobile and slow he could only cover a very limited area and it was just a case of working around him.

Scarily this was after he''d had some time out to work on his fitness after the bought him.

I certainly hope our scouts are working overtime to fine a CB that we could land from the continent at a not too ridiculous fee, or a loan with a view to signing, in January.  If not, what are they there for ?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Our spending this January will be a club record for the winter transfer window.[/quote]A pretty safe prediction, I don''t recall ever spending much in January!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Our spending this January will be a club record for the winter transfer window.[/quote]A pretty safe prediction, I don''t recall ever spending much in January![/quote]It was probably close to £5.5m in January 2012 (Howson and Bennett R). That will be beaten. Potentially by some margin.