Sign in to follow this  
Calle

Remember Dickson Etuhu?

Play for AIK in Stockholm nowadays, and was arrested this weekend.

Link in swedish

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/sverige/allsvenskan/aik/article21694599.ab

strange player, when on his game he was unstoppable, when off his game he didnt even look a professional footballer. Trouble was there was very little middle ground.

Arrested at the weekend for impersonating a professional footballer.

he had a flash motor when he was here at Norwich, with personalised number plate. sadly, his performances did not warrant such a car!

Some words I wrote about Dickson Etuhu after he had left City.

And finally, a word on Dickson Etuhu. Or maybe a word on each of the three different Dicksons that I saw playing for Norwich over the last couple of years.

The first Dickson I saw was Quality Dickson. He had pace and power. He scored goals and tackled. He got up and down the pitch. He turned up for one game in five though, but when he did, he bullied the Chelsea midfield or he scored a Berkampesque goal, curling one in from miles out against Cardiff, and really looked the part.

The second Dickson I saw was Dreadful Dickson. He ambled around. He was never there, and he always seemed distracted. He turned up for the games that Quality Dickson did not fancy. Dreadful Dickson stood five yards off David Jones as he equalised for Derby at Carrow Road last season. Dreadful Dickson walked off to sarcastic applause at Luton, and clapped back thinking we were pleased with his work that evening.

The last Dickson I saw was End of Season Dickson. We first caught a glimpse of End of Season Dickson in a Preston shirt as he stormed through Iwan’s last match at Carrow Road, and as if by magic, he appeared towards the end of last years campaign. A scout in the stand, a buy out clause, clubs sniffing around, agents talking to him and the new mega Sky deal just around the corner are just a few of the reasons for the appearance of End of Season Dickson at Norwich.

Did Peter Grant get him playing, or was it that huge "Prem Sale" poster? With all due respect to our manager’s motivational abilities, my vote goes to that sign in the shop window.

Look on the bright side. We got £1.5 million for a player who turned up when he felt like it. End of Season Dickson would have soon turned back into Dreadful Dickson, seeing his mates raking in fifteen grand a week and sulking that he had not got his dream move to the Prem.

We are much better off without him

We should remember that downgrading Etuhu for Russell and Earnshaw for Cureton (even though the two coming in had legendary status compared to the two who departed) were two of the main reasons Hucks had a strop and was ultimately proved right.

Took a ridiculous amount of stick as we systematically weakened our squad. Was a player that we could have built around and was hugely underrated by the faithful.

Darren Huckerby said - at a NCISA forum - that he was the most underrated player that he''d played with at City.

Good enough for me.

After all, we could have stuck with Jason Jarrett.

Incidentally, Jarrett is apparently a referee so presumably games still just happen without him having a meaningful contribution with the ball.

I played football with Jason Jarrett when I was a kid and he was playing for Norwich.
Put it this way, he didn''t show anyone up.

Dickson Etuhu, Damien Francis and Leroy Fer- a royal trio of midfielders who look great on their day, but their day only came once a month.

When you look at these and other midfielders we''ve had such as Thomas Helveg, Simon Charlton, Matt Jonsson, Karl Robinson, Daryl Sutch, Korey Smith and Andy Hughes to name but a few it is no wonder we have been a yo-yo club............

Were helveg and charlton really midfielders? I''d say they covered there from time to time but we''re defenders.

I always liked Dickson and as others have said on his day was as good as anyone, I can see why he might have become fed up of decent players around him leaving and us on a steady decline also over the years he''s had a few personal family problems that many people wouldn''t know about, I''m friends with him on Facebook and he''s always happy to chat with fans on social media and exchange messages

one of those professional footballers that reminds you for many football is just a job, and how many of us give 100% in our jobs every day ?  He had the ability to be a top class footballer and sometimes showed it, but all too often he just couldn''t be bothered.  Not really much of an enigma I''d say !

Football is strange tho.  I always think of Danny Mills who left us basically because he wasn''t the first choice in a pretty mediocre City team in the second tier at the time - and watching him play then, I felt that was about his level.  But he went on to play for England, how I''ll never know.

Interesting different views on Etuhu – and I recall Hucks not being very happy that he was sold.

As regards Jason Jarrett also mentioned here - a pal of mine from the hockey club bumped into him last year in a minicab office in Harlesden in the middle of a Saturday night. He had no idea who he was but started chatting to Jason Jarrett as he was wearing an old official NCFC club tracksuit and he wondered who he was.

Next morning when our kids were doing Sunday morning hockey training he told me about meeting Jason Jarrett but had forgotten his name, so I spent the next few minutes trying to work out who he had met. It took me quite a few guesses before I worked it out.

And does anyone remember the Carling Cup (as it might have been then) trip to Man City away? This was maybe in 2007, think Peter the Pointer was the City manager still.

I went as the Empty-Had as it was a new ground to go to and I wasn’t sure when I would be able to see City play there next.

Dickson Etuhu had a younger brother, Kelvin who was at Man City and he was brought on as a substitute towards the end of the game. He was loudly booed by more than a few of the City fans, presumably for the heinous crime of being Dickson Etuhu’s younger brother

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

We should remember that downgrading Etuhu for Russell and Earnshaw for Cureton (even though the two coming in had legendary status compared to the two who departed) were two of the main reasons Hucks had a strop and was ultimately proved right.

[/quote]

Safri as well I believe.

I think Huck''s was also annoyed with Worthington going - mainly as a result of fan pressure.

He was proven right in the end, we didn''t get a better manager in place until Lambert and being a division lower. Roeder and Grant stripped the club bare.

To be fair to Roeder and Grant, whilst both did very poor jobs they didn''t have massive budgets to work with.

Roeder was given an overall player budget for the 2008/09 season of around £8 million I believe. He should have done much better than he did but we certainly weren''t one of the big hitters in the championship.

Lambert didn''t just overachieve as a manager here, what he did was absolutely miraculous and is still one of the greatest achievements in lower league management ever.

It''s changed the entire complexion of this club as we know it. Even last year''s promotion (whilst an extraordinary achievement from Alex Neil) was built upon the foundations of being able to attract excellent players due to the parachute payments Lambert allowed us to earn.

I don''t want him back at the back club (that time has gone) but he should be regarded as a hero by all for what he achieved with us against all the odds financially.

Memory is fallible.

In

Name

Jon Otsemobor Free Crewe Alexandra

Matthew Gilks Free Rochdale

Jamie Cureton Undisclosed Colchester United

Julien Brellier Free Hearts

David Marshall Undisclosed Celtic

David Strihavka Undisclosed Banik Ostrava

Darel Russell Undisclosed Stoke City

Ian Murray Free Rangers

Out

Name Price To

Robert Earnshaw £3.5million Derby County

Dickson Etuhu £1.5million Sunderland

Youssef Safri Undisclosed Southampton

Jurgen Colin Undisclosed Ajax

Andy Hughes Undisclosed Leeds United

Ian Henderson Released Northampton Town

Peter Thorne Released Bradford City

Andrew Fisk Released King''s Lynn

Paul McVeigh Released Luton Town

Matthieu Louis-Jean Released

[quote user="Tim Allman"]And does anyone remember the Carling Cup (as it might have been then) trip to Man City away? This was maybe in 2007, think Peter the Pointer was the City manager still.

I went as the Empty-Had as it was a new ground to go to and I wasn’t sure when I would be able to see City play there next.

Dickson Etuhu had a younger brother, Kelvin who was at Man City and he was brought on as a substitute towards the end of the game. He was loudly booed by more than a few of the City fans, presumably for the heinous crime of being Dickson Etuhu’s younger brother[/quote]

I was there Tim. But I remember very little about the game!! I went to nearly all the away games then and had an away season ticket. I certainly pick my seasons to be a regular away fan!!

Etuhu played well when the TV cameras, or "shop window" as we call it were around.... sadly scouts would have noticed the crap performances probably more than the good ones... hence the fact he''s now a nobody in a tin pot league.

I didn''t like Etuhu... never met the guy but something about his way on the pitch just suggested to me he was a t!t.

An awful time for the club where a player like him was in the team every week.

Someone above mentions Dave Strihavka - free transfer 10 games 1 goal.... better value than RVW!

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Flash car ? from memory it was a Chrysler 300c, poor mans Bentley ! had the Etuhu number plate though.[/quote]E7UHU

In defence of Peter Grant, I know for a fact that he was desperate to sign Ryan Shawcross in the summer of 2007 who was a very promising youngster at Man Utd at the time. Unfortunately, we couldn''t match Stoke''s financial muscle (they were a championship team at the time) and Shawcross went there instead.

Whilst Grant wasn''t a particularly good manager I do get the impression he was having to resort to signing plan C,D or E a lot of the time because of the finances.