Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Team for v Swansea

GJL

I don''t see Mulumbu as a defensive player. He''s a good, strong all round midfielder who always does his defensive duties. As a manager you''d love a player like him, some attacking threat with no risk at all in defence by playing him (Jarvis is another one of these players), he''s a managers dream and I''m really surprised Pulis let him go, I would have thought he''s the perfect type of player for him...Anyway

Brady when out left wouldn''t have to commit too much defensively, especially with Olsson overlapping and providing crosses alongside the tricky passing approach I was advocating before. That left hand side gives us another dynamic that means Swansea couldn''t settle into one shape to deal with one type of attack. It would stretch them and hopefully create a lot of chances.

Also I do think it leaves us too open to counter attacks. Sorry, but I''d rather win 2-1 than lose 3-4

Also I think Redmond''s best performances for us have been as a sub. I think we''d get much more out of him in 30 minutes at the end than starting the whole game.

He''d be pi55ed off to be known as a super-sub, but I believe that''s his best role

I would imagine with the loss of Jarvis that Brady will be pushed up to become a winger.

Ruddy

Whitts, Bennett, Bassong, Olsson

Tettey

Redmond Mulumbu Brady

1 of Howson or Hoolahan

Jerome

GJL

I explained how this approach would get goals. By stretching their defence. To cope with lots of crosses the CB''s have to be spaced out to meet the ball anywhere in the box. If we try to play through them they have to be tight to shut down space, the team and approach I suggested did both of these things meaning Swansea''s defence would get stressed and we would score goals.

Just having more attacking players on the pitch doesn''t equal more goals, just look at NA tenure. At this level it''s about being clever and outsmarting the opposition.

Redmond and Hoolahan in the same team is too risky and never seems to lead to us creating more chances. We create just as many with just one on the pitch and we''d be more solid at the back as well

as i said....this is all very well, but what if we go 1-0 down ,as we did vs Leicester.

Neil, should have brought Redmond on at half time in that match, but unfortunately waited until we went 2-0 down before acting, and only when he came on did we look any kind of threat.

being a goal down at home to a side who''d then be quite happy to defend and catch us on the break....when we have absolutely no pace in the side or anyone who can beat a full back and get a cross in ,would be painful viewing.

I''d rather start on the front foot.

Swansea are a completely different proposition to Leicester though.

In the Championship we were regularaly undone by simple, long balls and pace. That''s because our defence was assembled by Hughton to shut down spaces, read danger early and stop technical players. They''re great at that. They''re not good at aerial defending or tackling pacy players (Something very useful in the lower league) Leicester are basically the best team in the country at playing the pacy, counter attacking way. Which is our weakness and we got done by the best at it...sh!t happens.

Swansea are the exact opposite, they condence the pitch and try to play through teams like we do, except we''ll box them into their half and they haven''t got the pace to counter us. I''d be shocked if we concede more than one today and I think we''re very capable of scoring against them as long as our passing is quick and our play is dynamic and varied.

I''m very confident about today because Swansea don''t seem to have the type of players or play-style that we normally struggle against. And we''re at home in a must win game, we have a hoodo over Swansea and Alex Neil will not allow a team he manages to go 7 games without a win

ruddymartin bennett bassong olsson          mulumbu tetteyredmond    jarvis      brady                jerome

mulumbu, tettey and jerome to rough ''em up, redmond jarvis and bradys pace to turn the screw

[quote user="iron_stan"]               ruddymartin bennett bassong olsson          mulumbu tetteyredmond    jarvis      brady                jerome

mulumbu, tettey and jerome to rough ''em up, redmond jarvis and bradys pace to turn the screw[/quote]Martin?

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="iron_stan"]               ruddymartin bennett bassong olsson          mulumbu tetteyredmond    jarvis      brady                jerome

mulumbu, tettey and jerome to rough ''em up, redmond jarvis and bradys pace to turn the screw[/quote]Martin?[/quote]Chris Martin from Coldplay.A secret free transfer in the summer.

[quote user="Bor"]I have included Dorrans as deep midfielder because he can use the ball better than the more destructive but limited Tettey. Mulumbu can provide Tettey''s bite and destruction and is a better passer. Tettey comes back for away games when we need to absorb more and push less.[/quote]This - plus Dorrans and Mulumbu are used to playing together from their WBA days. Would pick the same team as you, Bor.

[quote user="OldRobert"]Martin?[/quote]forgot about the red!didnt realise jarvis had a knock eitherin that case, swap them for steen nedergaard and dave phillips

[quote user="iron_stan"][quote user="OldRobert"]Martin?[/quote]forgot about the red!didnt realise jarvis had a knock eitherin that case, swap them for steen nedergaard and dave phillips[/quote]Sorry to break it to you, Stan, but we sold them and replaced them with Jurgen Colin and Raymond de Waard.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="iron_stan"]               ruddymartin bennett bassong olsson          mulumbu tetteyredmond    jarvis      brady                jerome

mulumbu, tettey and jerome to rough ''em up, redmond jarvis and bradys pace to turn the screw[/quote]Martin?[/quote]Chris Martin from Coldplay.A secret free transfer in the summer.[/quote]Aaaah..........did Gwynnie arrive too?  With those legs she''d make a great flying winger.

"Good bench. Mulumbu, Ofoe, Laffs, Mbokani, Dorrans"

Not if we lose one of the back four.

No Redmond?

O''Neill preferred to Mulumbu?

I think it''s awful, but I used to think that about Lambert''s teams on occasions and he got results.

We''ll see.

Jas

If we had pace and incisive runningin the side and didn''t mind conceding 70% of the possession, then yeah we could play them both. otherwise I''d really rather stick with a 5 man midfield and try to compete with teams.

Every time we''ve tried a 442 in recent memory it''s been disastrous. It''s outdated and ineffective now. Apart from Leicester and Man City (Only occasionally) who else in any of the top leagues play with two strikers regularly?

Not many I''d bet

Let''s hope AN has a smug face at the end after we''ve smashed Swansea with one of the most unpredicted starting XI''s ever!