Sign in to follow this  
GenerationA47

Declan not capable of doing the job?

According to AN:

"What you''ve got to remember is that in some positions there''s more competition than others, so the problem we''ve got is if you''re taking a player out of the team you''ve got to replace him with someone who''s either better or capable of doing the job."

In an article about why Ruddy won''t be benched.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34745891

Shame if that''s the view of our no.2 goalie.

I wouldn''t disagree that Rudd is miles away from the experience that Ruddy has. We have nobody to challenge him. Rudd is a great understudy with plenty of promise and as a no.2 is perfect, but he''ll never challenge Ruddy at the moment

Let''s look at all the quotes, shall we? I read this as:
Ruddy''s made mistakes
He is still our best keeper
Therefore I am not dropping him
Nowhere does he say "Rudd is not good enough".  If Rudd is not as good as Ruddy then Ruddy should still be picked, right?

"John made an error at the weekend but it''s not as if he''s been flinging balls into the net or dropping balls on a regular basis," said Neil.

"I think that''s really unfair - but any sort of error then gets magnified because we''re not winning games."

Neil said there were no guaranteed places in his team as he looked for their form to improve.

"I think there''s only been four players in my squad all season that have not been dropped or rested for the team," he told BBC Radio Norfolk.

"It shows that places are up for grabs and if people aren''t performing then they''ll be out of the side.

"What you''ve got to remember is that in some positions there''s more competition than others, so the problem we''ve got is if you''re taking a player out of the team you''ve got to replace him with someone who''s either better or capable of doing the job.

"There''s no point in taking out someone to prove a point."

Then why add the "...or capable" bit when he could have stopped at "someone who''s better". It''s actually OK to bench an on-paper-better but out-of-form player and give a chance to an up-and-coming understudy. It happens in other positions and it happens to keepers at other clubs.

Clean sheet today, so good news. No Swans shots on target but encouraging in any case.

[quote user="GenerationA47"]Then why add the "...or capable" bit when he could have stopped at "someone who''s better". It''s actually OK to bench an on-paper-better but out-of-form player and give a chance to an up-and-coming understudy. It happens in other positions and it happens to keepers at other clubs.

Clean sheet today, so good news. No Swans shots on target but encouraging in any case.[/quote]Just as well then..................

Surely Rudd will leave in Transfer window it is quite clear AN thinks he is only good for cup competitions and nowhere near ready to take over from Ruddy. Any other position on pitch Ruddy would have been dropped , but maybe thats the point. What if Ruddy gets injured etc AN clearly has only Rudd as backup.

And dropping a player as with Whits is making a point thats what managers are paid to decide.

I am afraid a scrappy win against a poor side isnt a big turnaround but major relief .

It is going to be long hard winter !

Would have been easy to bow to popular press and drop Ruddy today.

AN didn''t and got a clean sheet and a victory.

Well done for sticking to his belief that Ruddy is first choice. Rudd''s time will come.

Rudd is at the age where he needs to be at a club that wants to play him. I think this will be his last season at the club, which will be a shame. We don''t really know what AN really thinks of Rudd (More than Hughton did that''s for sure), but I suspect he''s under pressure to keep Ruddy in goal because the team haven''t been playing that well. If Norwich were more solid, then it would be easier to blood Rudd in.

Goalkeepers are no different to any other position - if you are not in form, then you should be dropped - for the good of player and the good of the team. No player is undroppable.

Personally I would like Rudd to be given his chance if Ruddy doesn''t improve in the coming games.