Sign in to follow this  
ViewfromtheJarrold

No Russell Martin Saturday = First Clean Sheet - Simples!

What''s the issue with the post? & if we do keep a clean sheet with a positive defensive display, then what? Let''s wait and see shall we!!?

My issue with the post is yet another dig at Russ. If he had defended like Bassong or Bennett did for Everton''s goal midweek there would have been an entirely different, and more hysterical reaction.

Every one of our defenders, most midfielders and our goalkeeper have been at fault in goals conceded this season but are not met with the same response that Russ or Whittaker get.

Look at Stones mistake yesterday against Sunderland-even the best get it wrong sometimes.

There really isn''t much to choose between our CBs including Russ-people need to realise this and get behind all the players-we cannot improve until January.

I am realistic-he isn''t the best CB but nor is Bassong or Bennett both of whom make mistakes.

Yes, I defend Russ more than most, probably because I know him personally, I see how hard he works off the pitch and know how much this club means to him.

I have no problem with constructive criticism but coming out with repeatedly snide posts about him is incredibly annoying.

A deserved dig at an overrated PLAYER. (Note the capitals)

What is also incredibly annoying is that some posters feel the need to comment about ''how hard he works off the pitch'' and ''how much the club means to him'' - Those qualities will not keep us in the division - Good players do that!

Harsh but true but however much of a nice bloke Russ is he is shown to be an inadequate performer at this level.

Thanks for everything RM but close the door when you leave!

Interesting to note that despite the criticism for Russ on here Greg Downs was scathing of Bassong vs Everton...

The commentators vs Newcastle questioned bassongs passing in that game.

On Saturday the summariser online pointed out that Bassong gave the ball away more than any other player...

Is Russ the problem or is he doing the work for someone else?

In terms of tackles, interceptions, clearances, blocked shots and aerial duels won vs Man City:

Bassong = 16

Martin & Bennett combined = 20

As it goes Greg Downs has always been very critical of Bassong. He''s often been critical of Turner too.

And that was the case when they formed one of their best centreback partnerships we''ve had in a long time.

You get that sometimes from people when they know others are better players than they were.

Last Saturday, with RM playing sweeper the following performances were made by the CB’s and the Sweeper

Touches; SB = 35, RB = 32, RM = 28,

Passes; RB = 21, SB = 19, RM = 18,

% of Passes to Touches; RB = 65.63, RM = 64.29, SB = 54.29,

Pass % accuracy; RM = 94.4, RB = 76.2, SB = 68.4

Successful Passes; RM = 17, RB = 16, SB = 13

Tackles; SB =3, RB = 1, RM = 0

Interceptions; SB = 3, RM & RB = 1

Clearances; RM = 8, SB = 7, RB =6

Key Passes & Accurate Long Ball, Zero all round

Point Blank Saves; RM =1, RB & SB = 0 (Just because I could).

Considering RM has played in 3 different positions with 3 different responsibilities, in his last 3 games, he’ll do for me, just a shame he’ll be in a 4th position next Saturday, in the stand!

[quote user="grefstad"][quote user="hogesar"]You''re an idiot.[/quote]

Oh, the quality...[/quote]
The fact you''re even able to log into this forum and quote me should count as a lifetime achievement award for yourself. 

I think the consensus of opinion re RM is that he is a hard worker, motivated to do the job but lacks the skill to play at premier league level and is a poor leader of men.

We must do better in January transfer window

[quote user="Disco Dale"]I think the consensus of opinion re RM is that he is a hard worker, motivated to do the job but lacks the skill to play at premier league level and is a poor leader of men.

We must do better in January transfer window[/quote]

There is no consensus.  There are opinions across the board about CM as a player and as a captain.  People only usually talk aout a consensus when they haven''t won the argument and are trying to persuade others that their view is prevailing.   We need to strengthen in January if we can, but if you look at the goals conceded this season, every defender and the goalkeeper has been at fault at some stage. The ridiculous pursual of RM on this board is utterly ridiculous. They all make mistakes.  The midfield have been at fault too. Oh, and whilre we''re at it, the forwards haven''t scored either.   Maybe replace all of them??  Crusades of this type rarely help the player and posts like this and your others on this thread,  just fuel a banal and empty agenda.

[quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]So a bit like when you singled out Snodgrass and had an agenda against him a couple of years ago then, LDC.[/quote]

My criticising a player like Snodgrass was nothing compared to the scale of the Martin bashers.  Criticism -Snodgrass - slow, falling over then complaining bitterly about it every time, failure to deliver the ball efficiently and quickly to other players, frustration etched on his face at the slightest setback, selfishness to the point of losing us points as with that penalty, not to mention undermining another player. The only positives I saw with Snodgrass were that when on form, he occasionally he scored a goal - but slowed down play and selfishly hung on to the ball the rest of the time, effectively making performances a one man show  - a show that was rarely good enough to win us games.   Agenda -  "Martin out"Not good enough" "Close the door when you leave"  "Can we extend the ban to twelve games".  The language used by the trolls/binners and hangers on about Martin is an agenda.  We can all criticise any player - Martin included - no problem with that - but the persistent threads about him in language that is designed to perpetuate and increase some kind of ridiculous bandwagon, are just trolling and do us as fans - and players (who are aware of this sort of rubbish that goes on)  - no good at all.  

Disco,

Gotta pull you up here Sir.

IMO by making a statement such as you have done, "I think the consensus of opinion re RM is that he is a hard worker, motivated to do the job but lacks the skill to play at premier league level and is a poor leader of men" you have undermined pretty much anything you say, because there is nowhere near a consensus of opinion, in fact it could be argued that this is one of the topics where there is a chasm in opinion.

So, IMO, if you believe what you have read is a consensus, and just to clarify, the defiition of consensus is; an opinion reached by the group as a whole or, general agreement, then I''m afraid this really has undermined pretty much anything else you have said or will say, because I believe, as do others, that he does have the skills and is a good leader of men, completely contrary to your statement.

Often he is the player ''found out'' because he is covering for the frailties of others and is last in the firing line, last Saturday being a prime example, it was perhaps no surprise that it was RM in a position to make the save, covering his keeper, just as he covers others at other times.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]No, honestly, its exactly the same thing.Just not in your head.[/quote]

Lol. Like your obsessive behaviour twards me. 

[/quote]Lol, dream on fella.But good effort on dodging the point I made.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]No, honestly, its exactly the same thing.Just not in your head.[/quote]

Lol. Like your obsessive behaviour twards me. 

[/quote]Can you really not see this?Its about whether or not you consider the criticism is justified. My opinion is that your criticism of Snodgrass was not justified, but obviously it is to you.In my opinion, criticism of Russel Martin is justified, he has made costly individual errors, a point made by the manager.Is it all Russ''s fault? No.Was it all Snoddy''s fault? No.Exactly the same thing.