Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Could be a Coincidence...

...but our three best performances defensively have come with Wisdom and right back.

He looks so much more comfortable dealing with wingers running at him.

He offers a lot less going forward though. A lot of our play comes from full backs overlapping.I thought we looked a lot better at Everton when Whittaker replaced Wisdom.

Indeed, if we have Howson playing at RM I think Whitts or Martin are the best candidates as they''re used to going forewords and overlapping a lot more at right back, especially Whitts. Imo though, if Redmond is playing on the right then Martin is the best candidate for that position as he''s the most balanced player out of the three I would say, he seems to have more of a footballing brain whereas Whittaker is a bit of a headless chicken.

Did he actually have any wingers running at him? I didn''t see any in the first half from my vantage point in the blankets.

He had to deal with Montero a few times (I think he got beaten once, which was to be expected as he''s a good player). Howson helped him out really well though I thought.

Was that second half then miggo?

First half the seemed to mainly attack down the right.

As soon as they had the ball we dropped off and let them have it. In the first half I didn''t see us press the ball beyond halfway. The should think my buddy CUSDP was having kittens. I don''t think any of our back four were exposedin the way they have been earlier in the season.

Perhaps it was just the system used specifically yesterday, that did not allow Wisdom to have the chance to be in the ''Whittaker'' attacking positions, but he did contribute a few times, none the less.

Again, it may not just be down to Wisdom alone, but Montero was very quiet and ineffective. Thought overall Wisdom did very well, and perhaps it was just my eyes, but I did comment to my mate that I thought Wisdom looked like he had lost a bit of timber, since the start of the season.

It''s interesting and refreshing how AN has played three different ways over the last three games. He obviously favoured high attacking fullbacks in the Champs where Whits became a huge player for him. He carried on with that and the addition of Brady gave him that energy on both flanks. But Newcastle must have been pivotal in the subsequent tactics.

How we were playing I''d have Whits at RB. In yesterday''s formation I''d have Russ or Wisdom and last weeks formation I''d go with Brady or Whits.

I''m not particularly sure Wisdom gave us any more defensively or offensively than Whittaker BUT he did alright and deserves to keep his place.

Do you not think the fact you didn''t notice wingers getting at him might be due to him defending well? Montero is a good player but never looked to be able to get away from Wisdom and Howson.

I agree he gives us less going forward than Whittaker but being as our problems this season have lain in defence it seems sensible to play the guy who looks better defensively than going forward.

I think the reason why he was never exposed like Whits was at Newcastle was because Swansea never had the chance to break with us having seven players beyond the ball. I think we''ll have to play more games this way if we''re to survive. But I''m heartened that AN has played three different systems in the last three matches and we have had the personnel to do so. That''s a credit to the manager, the players and recruitment.

I don''t think Whittaker helps himself positionally though- too often gets caught too far up the pitch and doesn''t have the pace to get back quick enough. Wisdom seems to play with a bit more brain.

Agree about the systems though- with AN we''re watching a manager grow and learn before our eyes and it is fascinating to see how he responds to the challenges presented to him.

[quote user="king canary"]I don''t think Whittaker helps himself positionally though- too often gets caught too far up the pitch and doesn''t have the pace to get back quick enough. Wisdom seems to play with a bit more brain.

Agree about the systems though- with AN we''re watching a manager grow and learn before our eyes and it is fascinating to see how he responds to the challenges presented to him.[/quote]I think its more about how we attack and defend, as a whole.When full backs attack then other players need to cover.

Would suggest that at the age of 31 and with hundreds of professional appearances under his belt Whittaker knows his position and how to position himself.

Moreover, he goes high up the pitch because the manager wants him to. If the manager wanted him to sit back he would.

Well of course they do. What a silly thing to say.

No surprise though.

Well your post insinuated as he was 31 and had played a lot of games he never had any struggles with positioning and that if he did it was all down to the manager. Which is clearly bollocks.

If you really don''t think Whittaker has any issues with getting caught up the pitch then fine but I think your very wrong.

Thought the one time the winger went at him he was completely beaten. I''ve not been impressed in any game..he was ok yesterday but was given good assistance by JH & gave us very little going forward. Certainly at Everton Whittaker looked better when he came on.

Mind you doesn''t really matter does it, as he said himself he''s here to impress Brendan Rogers.

[quote user="Year of the tiger"]Mind you doesn''t really matter does it, as he said himself he''s here to impress Brendan Rogers.[/quote]
I''m not sure that''s going to be top of his list of things to do any more.

[quote user="morty"]He offers a lot less going forward though. A lot of our play comes from full backs overlapping.I thought we looked a lot better at Everton when Whittaker replaced Wisdom.[/quote]

Wisdom was subbed after 90 mins, so having fresh legs coming on for the extra time, when the oppo had played 90 mins, was surely part of Whittakers decent sub appearance in that game.

I think Wisdom, goven time, will be much better going forward than he is now, but he has got pace, and it is vital in todays game, so for me, Wisdom over Whitts in most games.

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 08/11/2015 5:34 PM:

Was that second half then miggo?

--------------

I think it was the first half where he got passed Wisdom, crossed it and Bennett cut it out for a corner.

[quote user="grefstad"][quote user="morty"]He offers a lot less going forward though. A lot of our play comes from full backs overlapping.I thought we looked a lot better at Everton when Whittaker replaced Wisdom.[/quote]

Wisdom was subbed after 90 mins, so having fresh legs coming on for the extra time, when the oppo had played 90 mins, was surely part of Whittakers decent sub appearance in that game.

I think Wisdom, goven time, will be much better going forward than he is now, but he has got pace, and it is vital in todays game, so for me, Wisdom over Whitts in most games.[/quote]Or maybe, shock horror, Whittaker actually played well?It could happen, you know.

Wisdom is a good horses for courses option for when we need to tighten up it seems. Maybe a case for Whitaker if we look to be more expansive. At the moment Wisdom for me, but I cannot venture who is the overall better player.