Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

12 games

I don''t know if a dozen games is significant in terms of making an assessment for the season but:1) We have played six games at home and six away.2) We have played six teams from the top half of the table and six from the bottom.3) Of those top-half teams we have played four away and two at home.4) Of the bottom-half teams we have played four at home and two away.5) We have gained two points against top-half teams and 10 against bottom-half.Whatever our first 12 games may theoretically have looked like before the season started, in terms of degree of ease or difficulty, the reality is that we seem to have had a very balanced set of fixtures, neither overly easy nor overly hard.

You forgot to mention that we haven''t really got the points that our performances suggested we might get (either refs decisions or not being street wise in the prem)

Our team & management team seem to be learning from the previous games and making adjustments going forward.

The general consensus is still that we have had a relatively easy start to the season.I think we should have at least two or three points more than we have now.

[quote user="morty"]The general consensus is still that we have had a relatively easy start to the season.I think we should have at least two or three points more than we have now.[/quote]

Yep agreed Morty, indeed the games v Man C and West Ham really should of garnered those extra few points, Stoke at home was another one that got away. 12 points from 12 games seems decent enough, but given the fixtures it maybe isnt going to be good enough in the long run. Hope I am wrong.

It''s often seen that one from the pack slips into the relegation zone with a bad run towards the end of the season.

On yesterday''s showing it might well be Swansea and their slide might be starting sooner rather than later.

[quote user="Spillay"][quote user="morty"]The general consensus is still that we have had a relatively easy start to the season.I think we should have at least two or three points more than we have now.[/quote]

Yep agreed Morty, indeed the games v Man C and West Ham really should of garnered those extra few points, Stoke at home was another one that got away. 12 points from 12 games seems decent enough, but given the fixtures it maybe isnt going to be good enough in the long run. Hope I am wrong.[/quote]I still think we''ll be fine.Yesterday went a long way in helping that, not just the three points, but the managerial display. Alec Neil got the tactics spot on, and I think he''ll get it right more often than he gets it wrong.

As Purple suggests the next seven games to take us to the half way point look like a walk in the park as compared to what we have faced thus far:

Chelsea A

Arsenal H

Watford A

Everton H

Man Utd A

Spurs A

Villa H

[quote user="Highland Canary"]As Purple suggests the next seven games to take us to the half way point look like a walk in the park as compared to what we have faced thus far:

Chelsea A

Arsenal H

Watford A

Everton H

Man Utd A

Spurs A

Villa H[/quote]I can see 8 points there.

morty wrote the following post at 08/11/2015 5:28 PM:

Spillay wrote:

morty wrote:

The general consensus is still that we have had a relatively easy start to the season.

I think we should have at least two or three points more than we have now.

Yep agreed Morty, indeed the games v Man C and West Ham really should of garnered those extra few points, Stoke at home was another one that got away. 12 points from 12 games seems decent enough, but given the fixtures it maybe isnt going to be good enough in the long run. Hope I am wrong.

I still think we''ll be fine.

Yesterday went a long way in helping that, not just the three points, but the managerial display. Alec Neil got the tactics spot on, and I think he''ll get it right more often than he gets it wrong.

Yes , hit the nail on the head for me.

We probably should have a few more points considering the fixtures and if we had seen rigid management with a fear of tactical change then I might be concerned. However what we have witnessed is a manager who doesn''t freeze, who is tactically astute and who is prepared to change things, even if it makes him unpopular.

We have also seen a manager who has the ability to get the best out of players, even those who maybe don''t play too often and come in to do a job.

It''s Alex Neil that gives me the belief.

Nutty,
Before the season started my prediction had us on 13 points after 12 games, so not far off reality despite the dropped points we all can recollect.
In the next 7 games, based on last season''s or previous performances and relative strengths I had us winning at Watford, beating Villa at home and drawing with Spurs and Everton.
Admittedly, Watford''s season has gone better than expected - because they bought virtually a whole new squad - and Villa now have a new manager who may have an impact.
But it looks like we''re learning as well - which points up how fatuous pre-season forecasts are, though they''re still fun.  So I''m sticking with 8 points though they may not occur as originally forecast.

Imho, 5 points are wasted. Stoke at home,(2) West Ham away (2) , Man C away (1).

Should have been around Everton comfortably midtable by now.

As for points in the next 7 games, I will go for 5 points. Draw at Watford and vs Everton at home, win vs Villa. The rest lost, albeit marginally in most of them. Got a slight hope of a point at home vs Arsenal, but 5p for me.

Based on 39 points for the season, I had us on 18 points now with 6 points coming from these next 7 games. So 24 points in the first half of the season, 15 in the second half, reflecting a much easier set of home games before Christmas. Given our underperformance thus far we''re looking at 33 points for the season.

Wonderful Highland.

So is it 6 you''re going with now?

That''s still better what your buddy Lennon has managed at Bolton from his last 10 games...

[quote user="Highland Canary"]As Purple suggests the next seven games to take us to the half way point look like a walk in the park as compared to what we have faced thus far:

Chelsea A

Arsenal H

Watford A

Everton H

Man Utd A

Spurs A

Villa H[/quote]I wouldn''t quite go so far as saying a walk in the park, Highland, but generally you''re right, as so often. Unlike some fans, who still seem to be assessing our first 12 opponents (and so our results against them) in theoretical prospect, as opposed to current reality, you have correctly assessed our next fixtures as being not that formidable.For example, as I am sure you had in mind, in prospect in the summer Chelsea (a) looked harder than either Crystal Palace or Leicester at home. Now, of course, we know Leicester are the surprise package of the season, and they and Palace have the equal third-best away records in the division, while crisis-torn Chelsea are below us in the table.

Can only see a scrappy 2-1 home win Villa, maybe 1 point home Everton, the rest defeats, so 3 points, maybe 4 at most. that means 15 or at most 16 points at Xmas, definitely bottom 3, unless Bournemouth continue to be worse than us. I gave City a final total of 33 before the season started, simply as it seems to be what they get when relegated from the Prem.